Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 06:32 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,181,103 times

Advertisements

KeyLime.. The post you quoted is over a year old so don't expect a reply from that member.

However, there are always ppl looking for info on the Tampa Bay area.

Old 10-21-2008, 02:17 AM

10 posts, read 65,794 times
Ok folks. This has certainly been a spirited thread but if someone could please give a list of the areas, streets, sections, etc. to avoid, without commentary, that would be appreciated.

Old 10-21-2008, 06:20 AM

68 posts, read 215,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Occifer View Post
It's one of the highest performing schools because it's a MAGNET school, which means that out-of-area students (like your daughter) go to the school because of its magnet program. These students drive up the test performance.

And stop with all of this "black/white" garbage. The areas posted are the worst areas in the City of Tampa. That's a fact. Look at the crime statistics and you will see for yourself. You can blame it on whatever you wish, but that doesn't change the fact that there is more crime in East Tampa, Sulphur Springs, and around Ybor than there is anywhere else in the city.

You may not PERSONALLY have experienced problems in those areas, but thousands of other people have. Overall crime statistics paint a better picture of reality than one person's experiences driving through an area a handful of times.
The point it is has ZERO to do with race and everything to do with socio-economic conditions. THAT is the point the gentleman is making and he is correct. As far as the magnet schools....I don't disagree kids are bussed in, but it still has to perform, even the neighborhood kids.

Old 10-21-2008, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlyCat8 View Post
Ok folks. This has certainly been a spirited thread but if someone could please give a list of the areas, streets, sections, etc. to avoid, without commentary, that would be appreciated.
Are you talking about living in or just driving through different areas?

It is pretty hard to tell you streets intersections, because Tampa is so large and there are exceptions. Example.. I would not live east of Florida Ave/Hillsborough and I 275 but there are a few neighborhoods that are OK. Tampa Heights and Seminole Heights has some good/bad areas. InterBay in S. tampa is the same. Suitcase city around Busch, FL, Fowler and I275 is bad period.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:02 AM

1 posts, read 2,829 times
Im wonderinq why tampabays "bad areas" are areas where the African Americans live. I respect my elders [I'm 16) & i respect each `nd everyone's opinion , but c`mon people you quys are acting like whites,latinos,cubans `nd other races dont commit crimes too. I go to tampa all thee time `nd here my mother say "Oh,we're goinq to thee black mall (Univeristy]!" Why is it the black mall ? I dont understand. The bad areas should be listed not by races but by the activity.

xoxo_bree

Old 10-22-2008, 02:49 PM

University mall is bad because of the bad things that happen there.

Last edited by Keeper; 10-22-2008 at 02:53 PM.. Reason: changed

Old 10-23-2008, 03:24 AM

11,169 posts, read 10,648,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bree0215 View Post
Im wonderinq why tampabays "bad areas" are areas where the African Americans live. I respect my elders [I'm 16) & i respect each `nd everyone's opinion , but c`mon people you quys are acting like whites,latinos,cubans `nd other races dont commit crimes too. I go to tampa all thee time `nd here my mother say "Oh,we're goinq to thee black mall (Univeristy]!" Why is it the black mall ? I dont understand. The bad areas should be listed not by races but by the activity.

xoxo_bree
If you have to ask, you have not been there.

Troll post.

Old 10-23-2008, 07:33 PM

144 posts, read 324,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
Personally, I really don't feel unsafe in most of Tampa. I mean, I won't get out and go to a gas station if there's a crowd of suspicious-looking people outside or I certainly won't park and walk around the projects, but overall, you're certainly not going to get shot in the Tampa ghettos. Heckled and stared at, maybe, but that's it.
I agree. Take a stroll through NYC Projects.. Walk through Bed-tuy or Mott Haven at night and feel the fear. Take a stroll through 135th and St Nick or 180th st and Amsterdam in Harlem... Flatbush ave in Brooklyn.. .

There's just no comparison .. black doesn't mean ghetto.

The amount of gunshots that ring through a 1 mile radius in the Bronx in July will outweigh all of the gunshots in Tampa for the year.

Old 10-23-2008, 09:08 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,890,555 times
Bed-Stuy isn't even that bad anymore.

Old 10-23-2008, 09:39 PM

144 posts, read 324,331 times
I live there now. Lafayette Gardens.

25+ gunshots heard in June...guaranteed.

Has it gotten better? definitely...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay