Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2013, 10:46 AM

4 posts, read 10,601 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

We are in Michigan but may be moving to St. Pete. I have lived in north Tampa, but my husband is going to be working at 94 Ave N and 4th street N., and I know how long of a commute that can be. What good family areas not horribly far from that area would you recommend? I know parts of St. Pete are more crime ridden and I would really like to avoid that.
Thank you!
Lynn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 01:35 PM
BBI

490 posts, read 940,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkbzr View Post
We are in Michigan but may be moving to St. Pete. I have lived in north Tampa, but my husband is going to be working at 94 Ave N and 4th street N., and I know how long of a commute that can be. What good family areas not horribly far from that area would you recommend? I know parts of St. Pete are more crime ridden and I would really like to avoid that.
What's your budget? Are you thinking public or private schools? When you say "family areas" are you thinking planned-community/subdivision sort of feel, like a "you wouldn't be here unless you were supposed to be here" sort of feel, or just somewhere that's kid-friendly/safe?

Old 09-25-2013, 04:13 PM

4 posts, read 10,601 times
Hi,
We homeschool, so the school system isn't as issue. We would want to rent at first, but overall budget would be about $300,000. We are mostly concerned with safety. It would also be great to not be on a super low elevation.
Thank you!

Old 09-26-2013, 07:28 AM
BBI

490 posts, read 940,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkbzr View Post
Hi,
We homeschool, so the school system isn't as issue. We would want to rent at first, but overall budget would be about $300,000. We are mostly concerned with safety. It would also be great to not be on a super low elevation.
Thank you!
Pretty much anything within a short commute of 4th/94th is going to be at a low elevation. And homes tend to get nicer as you get nearer to the water around here... FYI, you can plug an address into floodsmart.org to see if it's in a "high risk" or "med/low risk" flood zone. High risk means flood insurance is mandatory and relatively expensive. You can be pretty darn near the water and not in a high risk flood zone. If Katrina comes, the whole county's underwater...

Re safety, I'm not sure what you're used to. My super-duper safe recommendations: (1) Feather Sound is very close to the office. (2) I believe there's some gated at Bardmoor/Bayou Club. (3) Safety Harbor, and particularly some of the subdivisions north side of town, feel a lot like north Tampa suburbs. But that's a good half hour commute, maybe more, I'm not sure what's OK. (4) Way up north, Palm Harbor or East Lake is probably also a good fit, but you get the same commute time as the north of Tampa communities, which I know you're trying to avoid. (5) Western part of Seminole and just north in Belleair/Bluffs is a good fit, but that's as much commute as north Tampa.

If you're OK with city living, from a safety perspective, in St. Pete, look at northeast, Crescent Lake, Crescent Heights, Five Points. West side of town, Jungle, Azalea, Pasadena; thinking 300k gets you very near the Pasadena Yacht/Country club. Anywhere in town, there's normal city petty crime, so you need to lock your car doors at night, lock your house when you're not there, etc.. But it's not dangerous. Would also recommend South Tampa, but not confident you'll find something in your price range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay