Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 08:43 AM

1,607 posts, read 3,090,847 times

Advertisements

finally looks good form our relo from CT to the Tampa area. My wife is an Operating room nurse, specialty is in cataract surgery which she has been doing in CT since 2005 at an eye surgery center.

Her finding a job is a pretty sure thing, before we pull the trigger and move, anyone have a range of salaries for these type of eye surgery or ambulatory surgery centers for nurses? My wife WILL NOT work on a floor administering i.v's and changing bedpans. She likes her patients sedated lol.

If we can't afford a home in Wesley Chapel area on my current salary and her possibly reduced salary we may need to reconsider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 08:53 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
A quick search for operating room nurse shows about half of the listings $60K to over $120K and the other half between $40K-$60K, about 20% of all of them were over $80K
Of course this was just a quick search of a random website.

To get a better idea she should just contact an agency down here, guaranteed you will get numerous responses to your post with people telling you she won't make anything compared to CT.

Old 10-01-2013, 01:11 PM

1,237 posts, read 3,448,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
A quick search for operating room nurse shows about half of the listings $60K to over $120K and the other half between $40K-$60K, about 20% of all of them were over $80K
Of course this was just a quick search of a random website.

To get a better idea she should just contact an agency down here, guaranteed you will get numerous responses to your post with people telling you she won't make anything compared to CT.

Agreed- talk to a recruiter. They have a pretty good handle on what employers are paying (and could potentially help with a job). It's such a specific specialty that unless you see a posted job with a salary listed, I'd be wary of 'ranges' online as I haven't found those to be very accurate.

Old 10-01-2013, 01:42 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,824,656 times
Is she an RN or LPN? That will be a big factor in terms of both salary and the jobs available.

Old 10-01-2013, 05:35 PM

She is an RN. Has done it all in the OR from brain surgery to gastric bypass surgery to ortho to heart transplants, but likes eyes, nice and simple.

Old 10-01-2013, 05:42 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,824,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctwhitechin View Post
She is an RN. Has done it all in the OR from brain surgery to gastric bypass surgery to ortho to heart transplants, but likes eyes, nice and simple.
Well, there's no shortage of old folks getting cataract surgery. My mother-in-law just had hers done over the past month.

As an RN, your wife has much better options of course. My wife is in process of obtaining her BSN to open even more doors.

Old 10-01-2013, 09:09 PM

94 posts, read 155,107 times
Like I Always say... You take half your pay in Sunshine in Florida,

Old 10-02-2013, 03:47 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskan adventurer View Post
Like I Always say... You take half your pay in Sunshine in Florida,
Then admit you don't know what you are talking about. Here is a previous post from another thread where someone else was talking without actually researching the matter. I used NY in the example but if someone needs to calculate for another state it is easy enough.

Quote:
A registered nurse in NY has an annual mean wage of $74,100, a registered nurse in Florida has an annual mean wage of $61,780 (most recent BLS data). A difference of $12,320, now start off by subtracting $4145 for state income tax and you have a difference of $8175. Hardly a massive pay cut. Now calculate the difference in rental cost of $2638 for NY and $1298 for Florida (values gathered within last 30 days by myapartmentmap.com) , that is over $16000 a year. At this point we have not figured in for local income tax rates which many areas in NY have but seems Florida is ahead by almost $8000.

Old 10-02-2013, 06:01 AM

693 posts, read 1,138,405 times
Quote:
Then admit you don't know what you are talking about. Here is a previous post from another thread where someone else was talking without actually researching the matter. I used NY in the example but if someone needs to calculate for another state it is easy enough.

I would have to concur with this. My wife is an RN with a BSN. She has been in contact with a couple of area hospital recruiters and was pleased with the discussions regarding salary. She also has two friends who are also RN w/ BSN who recently moved to the Tampa Bay area, one works in Tampa the other Sarasota, both have conveyed to my wife their salaries and again, pleased with the numbers.

Note: I wont answer any direct messages regarding nurse salaries. My advice, do some research, make some calls, visit some hospitals.

Old 10-02-2013, 02:47 PM

thank you all, I take things with a grain of salt, looking at houses in Wesley Chapel we want quiet and safe, similar to where we are now in CT. My salary would be a lateral move but understand if she makes a little less with there being no state tax, etc in Florida. I know insurance will probably be more, but overall we feel Florida is a good move for us anyway, married, both in 40's no kids, I went to college down there so I know a little about it down there. Wish we could afford to live on the beach but again we are realistic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay