Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 03:42 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,822,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_tino View Post
I completely disagree with two statements above. Very few older, established neighborhoods in Pinellas have deed restrictions, and those that do will probably cost more than $2k/month for a 4 BR. Close to 100% of all new developments have them, however.

An alternative might be a duplex, with two connecting units that have 2 BR each.

Geographically, the huge region of middle class neighborhoods in St. Petersburg between 4th St N and 16th St N and between 5th Ave N and Gandy has many properties that are reasonably priced and many have alley access/significant parking & storage.

That would be the western half of 33702/33703/33704, with easy access to I-275. St. Petersburg, Florida Zip Code Boundary Map (FL)

You could also look in Seminole, which is extremely close to Clearwater and the beach.

I'm not sure how close you want to be to civilization, but once you hit New Port Richey you are looking at 60-90 minutes each way to downtown Tampa and St. Petersburg.
That's all fine and dandy. But would such places have enough space to store two 20ft trailers, set up the 24ft above-ground pool, and be anywhere in the same universe as the OP's proposed budget of $800/month? Plus, I'd imagine the OP has 3-4 cars as well based on the previous thread, and they need yard space for dogs.

My cousin lives in Pinellas Park and I've been to all the other places you've mentioned as well in my travels for work (Seminole, St. Pete, etc.) I have never noticed anything with enough space for what the OP is asking for. I'm not saying it's not there, but I just had not come across anything like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2013, 04:36 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,191,933 times
Odessa, Land O lakes for house with land but you are still going to have a problem finding a 4 bd house for only $800 a month. New Port Richey maybe but you do have to be careful of the area.

Old 10-02-2013, 06:15 PM

173 posts, read 449,233 times
Let me also warn you, most landlords will not rent a 4BR house for only one year. Be ready to pay $2000 per month. Also be ready to pay $2000 first months, $2000 last months, $2000 security deposit, $500 pet deposit, and $100 application fee. Get ready to pay a full $6600 dollars before you move in.

Also be ready to pay $500-$700 per month for electricity, water, sewer, and pool maintenance.

Wine tastes and beer pocketbook.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:37 PM

23 posts, read 28,666 times
Thanks Chi! I will definitely check those areas. Druthboo, I have my own pool, & if there was any chance in He## that I could bring this house with me, I would! They just don't make them like this anymore. I just wish it wasn't in SC. :-). Swmrbird, We did drive around & noticed homes close to Clearwater Beach were cramped together. Since we didn't know our way around, we tried not to venture too far from our hotel. We did what we could & yet still got in some vacation time. We went to St. Pete for a day but it was more in the downtown area by the pier. That area looked kinda expensive. Some areas that look good can be deceiving also. I have been told to drive around after dark & see how many people are out walking & that's how you tell a fairly safe area. I wrote down many, many streets to refer back to that I knew would be wrong for us. We tried for find houses that had nice big yards, but didn't see much. Hence my taking to this forum for help from local people that could enlighten me on the pros & cons. I lived in Tampa when my Dad was in the Air Force many years ago. I remember enough from that to want to make it my dream to live in that area. He would be proud. :-) Anyhow, keep all ideas coming my way. I'm checking all areas that you all describe to me. Does anyone know anything about areas in Tampa near 12th st, 33rd ave, or Virginia st.? What are bad areas there? Have a great night! Thank you!!

Old 10-03-2013, 02:44 AM

792 posts, read 2,291,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachlvr21399 View Post
Thanks everyone! Now that's what I need! A "specific" area to look towards. :-) I can't travel 700 miles every weekend to scout the areas, so I'm relying on internet & honest people to give me some guidance. Looking for under $800 per month until we get stable down there. Willing to fix up a place if needed for that reduced rent @ our own expense, providing it's not a "major" issue. My problems are-- need 4 bdrm, 2 bath, that allows very well trained doggies, & has room for a 20 ft. camper, 20 ft. Maintenance trailer, 3 cars, & a 24 ft. above ground pool, with a fenced in back yard. A garage or storage shed would be nice for all our lawn equip. I feel a huge struggle engulfing us, but I have the faith to continue forward. We want down there so bad that we can taste the salt water! ;-) . Please keep the info coming. I have until June to make this happen. Thanks again! If you know of a place, please provide me with an address & a contact number. I will jump all over it.
You are chasing rainbows if you want all that for $800/month. Maybe if you drove out the middle of the state somewhere in a really rural area.

But nowhere near the beach areas. I don't even think you could find all that in the southside for that low of a price.

Old 10-03-2013, 04:52 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,609,406 times
Quote:
So from what I'm understanding, most of the areas there, no matter what the price, have homes sitting on what I call a "lot". That being said, can somebody give me a town or two that I would find something like 1/2 - 1 acre? I don't want to live on top of the neighbor if you know what I mean. I don't mind driving up to an hour to the beach to bake in the sun & get that ocean breeze. I need a place to live that can accomodate our needs. Nothing fancy----YET. Thanks!
Odessa, Keystone, both have areas with large lots to accommodate what you're looking for, however I don't know that there are any "rentals" there. That's where you may want to buy to accommodate all your stuff.

I seriously doubt anything there would rent for under $2000. Those are 1, 2, 3 acre lots, some have horse farms on them, some have cows...I have never seen a "for rent" sign there...I saw "for sale" but not for rent...

My suggestion is that you get a realtor to actually show you around next time you come down, because we can keep telling you what things cost here, or where you may find something, but a realtor has access to a larger variety of properties and you can drive around together and they can show you where the good areas are versus the bad ones etc.

$800 a month is NOT a 4 bedroom house unless it is in a very bad area of town. There aren't apartments in that price range that are worth living in. Florida is NOT as cheap as South Carolina! When we travel north of here we always try hard to fill our gas tanks in South Carolina cause it's the cheapest gas, and they also have the cheapest everything up there...nothing in Florida compares price wise. SC has to be the cheapest state we've ever been to so far.

Old 10-03-2013, 06:17 AM

1,725 posts, read 3,462,880 times
I just ran a search to see exactly what is available on the MLS so you can see we are not just ignoring your request and trying to give you accurate information.

I searched from North of Spring Hill, Brooksville, over past Dade City, encompassing Zephyrhills, East of Plant City, East of Bradenton and West to the Gulf of Mexico and back up to Spring Hill. Really, the entire Tampa Bay area within an hour or so of downtown.

I searched that area for 4+ bedrooms and max price of 800. NONE. Upped the price to 1200 and came back with 17.

ZERO Properties match your request. 1 is available for 850 a month and that one is located at 3104 W Juan Street Tampa. Cheapest otherwise is 1100, but again nothing matches your request.

I scanned a document that shows search area and properties, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to post an image here I click the Insert Image and get a script prompt. What is that?? I don't feel I am computer illiterate, but sometimes they make things way too difficult. Send me a Direct Message with an e-mail address if you would like me to send.

Old 10-03-2013, 07:07 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times
Quote:
Been hunting for cheap rental house & jobs in Clearwater / Tampa area for 3 wks now online. I'm getting nowhere. Trying to be within 30 min of Clearwater Beach area, but can branch out. How do people afford such high rent when the pay scale is so low? Need an old 4 bdrm house. We will repair @ our own expense as long as it's not major work. Any suggestions?? Just not in trashy area. Any private owners out there that have rentals that need fixed up? Need by June! Thanks!
i think your timing is not the best for what you are looking for. The inventory is down due to many investors already buying up many homes like you are looking for.

The area you are looking at is not an area that is cheap unless you want to buy close between I-75, MLK and I-275 and that is kind of a rougher area.

Usually private owners are asking prices that are way higher than the market is due to the mind set of many owners thinking their home is worth what a castle will cost.

You should either going to Riverview & Brandon and fix up a Chinese drywall home with stucco issues or going up North as Gulfer described.

Old 10-03-2013, 09:17 AM

23 posts, read 28,666 times
Hey, this is beachlvr21399. Thsnks for all your great info. You can email me @ cavebtch24@aol.com . You have really been a great help & I appreciate you going the extra mile for me. Have a fantastic day!

Old 10-03-2013, 10:32 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,122,145 times
The problem with finding a house for $800 a month is that the landlord is likely paying around $2000 a year in insurance... quite possibly more (I wish my insurance was $2000). My house in Northdale meets most of your requirements... I could rent it out for $1700 - $1800 a month. I have 4 bed rooms, only one neighbor directly behind me, a spot to park 1 travel trailer, a 2 car garage and a pool. I am sure you would still think we are right on top of our neighbors.

Florida may not be for you... and if it is... you may have to change your lifestyle. Those that move to Florida thinking they can keep the same lifestyle as they had back at 'home' find themselves unhappy here. Florida is different than back 'home'. Not just the climate and environment...but also the houses, prices of goods, stores, brand, morals, people, traffic, etc. People must either accept these changes or they will be miserable chasing a dream.

You should look up in Ocala, maybe Brookesville for places with large lots and cheaper rent. I think even there you will be hard pressed to find something for $800/month.

I am pro-Florida - I am not trying to crush your dreams. Everyone is telling you this is not possible. Very, very rarely do most of the people on this forum agree on something. That should tell you something. Good luck and keep us posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay