Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 01:36 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,801,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
Because sellers are willing to pay it.
you mean buyers because sellers are using buyers money to pay realtors
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 02:31 PM

35,662 posts, read 21,025,987 times
because they can

Old 10-07-2013, 02:37 PM

that's why most of them are not doing so great money wise...

Old 10-07-2013, 06:38 PM

500 posts, read 1,173,354 times
Realtors are pretty limited about what they can and can't say due to fair housing laws.

As far as the 3%, my realtor told me that her agency gets half. If you buy a $100k house, that's only $1500 before taxes. And realtors can show people literally dozens upon dozens of homes, and easily spend 50-100 hours or more on a sale. Would YOU want to spend that many hours and months on a sale only to make the equivalent to $15 bucks an hour...MONTHS later?

Old 10-07-2013, 06:52 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,892,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
you mean buyers because sellers are using buyers money to pay realtors
I guess that is one funny way to look at it. That is like saying your employer bought your groceries for you......LOL

Old 10-07-2013, 06:55 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,343,159 times
All I know is when it rains a little many roads flood in St Petersburg. Have heard the land is not much above see level so when high waves at high tide with a storm it causes many problems getting over to Tampa.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmjones311 View Post
Realtors are pretty limited about what they can and can't say due to fair housing laws.

As far as the 3%, my realtor told me that her agency gets half. If you buy a $100k house, that's only $1500 before taxes. And realtors can show people literally dozens upon dozens of homes, and easily spend 50-100 hours or more on a sale. Would YOU want to spend that many hours and months on a sale only to make the equivalent to $15 bucks an hour...MONTHS later?
That's why I think people who really care about their paycheck have a real jobs... when you work your 40 hours and getting paid. Sure enought you need something better than 63 hours of pre-license courses and simple test to earn good money

Old 10-08-2013, 03:17 PM
BBI

490 posts, read 939,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KylePac View Post
So I am planning on moving to Florida from Missouri and don't want to drive all the way down there and then not have something set up. ...

1156 12th Ave S, Saint Petersburg, FL 33712
1160 Queensboro Ave S, Saint Petersburg, FL 33711
1161 Prescott St S, Saint Petersburg, FL 33712
1157 Moffett Ct N, Saint Petersburg, FL 33701
1158 15th Ave S, Saint Petersburg, FL 33701
1159 35th St S, Saint Petersburg, FL 33711

... I don't want to drive 16 hours down there and find out that these areas are crime ridden and horrible to live in.
These areas are pretty bad. The worst part of St. Pete is within the area bordered by 10th Ave S, 4th Street, 275 and Lake Maggiore. That'd include 1156 12th Ave S, 1161 Prescott St S and 1158 15th Ave S. 1159 35th St S is just outside of that, but I wouldn't look there either.

1160 Queensboro Ave S is in a poor section of Gulfport. Definitely better than those addresses in the worst part of town. You could walk to my favorite fish store from there. But it's still not very nice. Not a place you're going to want to walk around at night.

1157 Moffett Ct N is in Uptown, which is a neighborhood that's in transition. Feels safe during the day, very close to downtown (a big plus in my view). Not somewhere I'd want my wife walking around by herself at night. Gentrification in that neighborhood is happening north, towards Crescent Lake. Moffett Ct also seems to be under an interstate, so a particularly crappy part of Uptown.

Would suggest you say your price range and what you're looking for. We'll be more helpful that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary54mi View Post
All I know is when it rains a little many roads flood in St Petersburg. Have heard the land is not much above see level so when high waves at high tide with a storm it causes many problems getting over to Tampa.
Flooding isn't an issue on most roads in town. The Shore Acres neighborhood has some drainage issues (rain plus high tide equals flooding), but that's really it. Also, the only times the 275 or Gandy bridges to Tampa closed in my 3 years living here were for a tropical storm -- not a good time to be out driving anyway. Not sure how important bridges will be to the OP; could be living and working in Pinellas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmjones311 View Post
The broker gets half. Just pick an agent who's also a broker and you avoid that situation. More generally, you shouldn't pay more than the level of service you want. If you want a realtor driving you all over creation, showing you dozens of homes, handling everything for you, you should pay for that. On the other hand, if you're internet savvy and want to control the process yourself, you probably don't need more than a $15/hr level of service. The idea that 3% is sacrosanct misses reality, at least from my perspective, because it assumes everyone wants/needs the same level of service.

Old 10-09-2013, 12:25 PM

3 posts, read 4,335 times
Default Are you sure you want ro move here?

The addresses in Clearwater I can't help with except to warn you most if Clearwater is owned by the scientologists its there headquarters. You do not want to live in south st pete even the nicer parts out towards the beaches are becoming part if the hood the south side if st pete is a major dryg and crime area and is expanding despite claims tgat it us being cleaned up. Florida us currently NOT a good place to live the cist of luvung us rising quickly as are insurance prices and the state government seams to be in a state of permanent disaster. Don't forget either the extreme heat year round here abd if you have breathing problems the humidity will strangle you. If you must move to FL I wish you well if you have a choice I'd suggest looking anywhere else.

Old 10-09-2013, 04:03 PM

626 posts, read 1,347,648 times
It really depends on what you consider undesirable in an area because something that might bother one person might be ok with another. Clearwater is no LA, Chicago, or Atlanta...so the area morons that think theyre all tough and hood really would wet their pants around real hood guys…butttt most of the neighborhoods that your options are in really aren’t the best neighborhoods. I personally wouldn’t go walking at night, unless I had a gun or big dog with me in the majority of them.

I ranked them in my order (just the Clearwater ones…as I dont know every nook and cranny of St Pete)...but I think if you came down and checked them out, you would get an instant vibe just driving into the neighborhoods.

6 & 5 (tied) Engman or Russell options…these are just off of Betty Lane and probably the most “hood” out of all of your choices. At the convenience store at the end of the street a few years back, the clerk was robbed, shot, and murdered and this guy from high school got chased, shot, and left to die right on that street.

4. Pennsylvania – Near prostitute central (Alt 19) and going into Greenwood which is home to one of Clearwater’s only projects.

3. Vine – same as above…but it is a little more out towards the main roads

2. Drew St – I wouldn’t recommend living ON Drew St just because it’s a somewhat busy road and that location is kind of on the outskirts of Greenwood.

1. Hamlet - Not sure of your Hamlet address since Mapquest cant find that exact number…but the Hamlet right off of Ft Harrison isn’t in that bad of an area- its actually near Morton Plant Hospital, downtown, the Pinellas Trail, and the Clearwater Police Dept. =)

The 33755 area code is probably one of the worst if not THE worst to live in, in Clearwater…but just like anywhere, it is hit/miss and dependent upon what you don’t want to be around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay