U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-11-2013, 10:59 AM
 
Location: Crystal River Florida
8 posts, read 10,809 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

So I've been living now in Crystal River for a month, coming from Pittsburgh. Since I can remember I've wanted to move here and finally did it! Now the harsh reality hits me...Where I am, the job market is horrible! Compared to up where I was and in my field, I can't find anything that is paying a decent wage. I've been an automotive service writer for the last 20 years and all I know is customer service.

So my question is...I love Crystal River, but hate the job market. Considering when my lease is up in 7 months to move further south to the Tampa area. How is the job market in the area? Everyone up here is either looking for part time only or only pays minimum wage. Hate to move towards a big city, but driving an hour and a half is out of the question. What about housing..meaning rentals?

Just looking for a good balance between work and housing...and not killing my self in a job for measly pay. After all, I did move here for the beautiful weather and all the outdoor activities year round. Hate to head towards Orlando, or worse yet, back to the ice cold North.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-11-2013, 11:21 AM
 
5,686 posts, read 5,706,446 times
Reputation: 4261
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLK2001 View Post
So I've been living now in Crystal River for a month, coming from Pittsburgh. Since I can remember I've wanted to move here and finally did it! Now the harsh reality hits me...Where I am, the job market is horrible! Compared to up where I was and in my field, I can't find anything that is paying a decent wage. I've been an automotive service writer for the last 20 years and all I know is customer service.

So my question is...I love Crystal River, but hate the job market. Considering when my lease is up in 7 months to move further south to the Tampa area. How is the job market in the area? Everyone up here is either looking for part time only or only pays minimum wage. Hate to move towards a big city, but driving an hour and a half is out of the question. What about housing..meaning rentals?

Just looking for a good balance between work and housing...and not killing my self in a job for measly pay. After all, I did move here for the beautiful weather and all the outdoor activities year round. Hate to head towards Orlando, or worse yet, back to the ice cold North.

Thanks!
OK, before I answer your question, let me make sure I understand exactly what it is you do. An automotive service writer works for the service department of a dealership or for a mechanic shop that services vehicles, right? The service writer would be the person who does intake for someone who is having an issue with their vehicle, they take the call, schedule them for a diagonistic with the service department, meet and greet when the person comes in, gets the issues written up and gets the car turned over to the service department. The service department gets back with a list of issues and the service writer assigns a cost to have the car fixed or whatever and gives the customer the bad (sometimes good, but usually bad) news, schedules the car to be fixed and when all is done, presents the customer with the bill and takes payment, or turns it over to the cashier for payment. Is that what you do? Because if it is, I do have some thoughts for you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2013, 11:23 AM
 
Location: Any Beach/FL
25,347 posts, read 14,243,156 times
Reputation: 10450
sorry but the employers only hiring PT due to ACA or bamacare- so unless you in a higher field do not expect more than that, Fla has NEVER been high on salary. If you do not like traffic do not come to the Tampabay area, and the real money is in S-FL. There is more "life" in TBAy than Crystal River period, that would include jobs - that's my take.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2013, 11:32 AM
 
Location: Crystal River Florida
8 posts, read 10,809 times
Reputation: 10
kmarc, that's my job description exactly.

tinytrump, yeah, that's exactly what I'm seeing, ACA taking over...hours being cut. Just thinking I may look somewhere where there is a bigger market for me. Not going to stay in Crystal River because there is no market AT ALL!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2013, 11:32 AM
 
5,686 posts, read 5,706,446 times
Reputation: 4261
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
sorry but the employers only hiring PT due to ACA or bamacare- so unless you in a higher field do not expect more than that, Fla has NEVER been high on salary. If you do not like traffic do not come to the Tampabay area, and the real money is in S-FL. There is more "life" in TBAy than Crystal River period, that would include jobs - that's my take.
Except if what I described is what the OP does, there's definitely some money in it depending on where they work. The service intake at the dealership where I go makes a good piece of coin, but it is a combo of salary and commission.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2013, 11:34 AM
 
Location: North of South, South of North
8,704 posts, read 9,419,174 times
Reputation: 5109
WFLA News stated the Tampa area was the number one location in Florida for job creation over the last year. 30% of all Florida jobs were created here.

Now I have no idea what kind of jobs or what they pay and I doubt anyone else does as well, but I am sure there will be plenty of people coming along soon to say they know, but will not have any data to back it up.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2013, 11:37 AM
 
Location: Crystal River Florida
8 posts, read 10,809 times
Reputation: 10
kmarc, back in the 'Burgh, that's how it was..base salary plus commission. You could make some good money like that. Where I am now, after 90 days it's straight commission. And let me tell you, after 1pm, I sit around and do NOTHING.

Prius, that's what I have been reading alot about the last few months, even before I made the move. Again, what they have created, can't find the information on that either. At least it's promising.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2013, 11:47 AM
 
5,686 posts, read 5,706,446 times
Reputation: 4261
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLK2001 View Post
kmarc, that's my job description exactly.

tinytrump, yeah, that's exactly what I'm seeing, ACA taking over...hours being cut. Just thinking I may look somewhere where there is a bigger market for me. Not going to stay in Crystal River because there is no market AT ALL!
If that's your job description, then you're probably familiar with dealership "clusters". In Hillsborough County (the county in which Tampa is located), the two dealershp "clusters" that I know of are along Dale Mabry Blvd. on the west side of the county and along State Rd. 60 in Brandon/East Tampa on the east side of the county. That's where the money is, in those two clusters. I know my service writer does quite well. Once you get established in one of those clusters, the dealerships tend to raid personnel from each other, at least that's what I've been told. You want to get a list of all the dealerships in each cluster, get your resume out to them and pester them until one of them hires you. Because if you're any good, someone WILL hire you.

I think the independent servicers and mechanics don't pay near as well. I think there is also a dealership cluster in Pasco County in the Wesley Chapel/Lutz/Land O Lakes area, but I'm not sure, maybe one of the posters from that area could say.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2013, 11:49 AM
 
Location: North of South, South of North
8,704 posts, read 9,419,174 times
Reputation: 5109
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLK2001 View Post
Prius, that's what I have been reading alot about the last few months, even before I made the move. Again, what they have created, can't find the information on that either. At least it's promising.
Yes, I wish there was some easily accessible data on job type and pay, but the news just puts out brief info.

But I would not listen to anyone on a forum, with data to back it up, who say jobs are all low paying. People where claiming that, without data, about Amazon moving to the Tampa area.....yet as it turns out 40% of the jobs will be paying over $50k per year according to WFLA.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2013, 11:52 AM
 
Location: Crystal River Florida
8 posts, read 10,809 times
Reputation: 10
kmarc, thanks so much for the information. Dealership Row's have always been the place to go. Planning on day-tripping down to Tampa next Saturday and will definately be dropping of my resumes. Thanks again for the heads-up.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:10 AM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top