U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2013, 08:31 AM

85 posts, read 214,453 times

Advertisements

Hi guys.. question for you all! We are flying down to Clearwater area in December, and we're looking at hotels to stay at for the week. We'll be commuting to Wesley Chapel during the day - but the hr or so commute each day doesn't concern us. Basically work during the day - play at night lol

Basically we're comparing Clearwater Beach to North Redington Beach. Is one nicer than the other? The hotel is a little more money (Double Tree) in North Redington Beach - but it's also a balcony on the Gulf. So without knowing the area, I am torn which area is more desirable.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 08:33 AM

I must add - we want some population with some bars etc where we stay. Some night life.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:05 AM

819 posts, read 1,094,280 times
I'd definitely go CLW; much more active night scene. If you're north beach, you can go to Frenchies and Palm Pavillion; they share a parking lot. Typically live music, etc. Closer you get to the weekend, more active they get. I feel like there are probably some things in the 'strip mall' part of Mandalay Ave right next to the roundabout too but I always seem to just drive by without paying attention so not sure what all is going on there.

Middle of the beach; a place I've been going to a lot lately just to hang out and have some drinks is Pier House 60. It's a little hotel and parking garage building just to the south of the roundabout that has a great rooftop bar. It does not charge the typical bs tourist prices for drinks and has a great view of the sunset, water and pier. Each time I go it seems to be mostly locals and hotel guests since no one else knows about it. Of course lots of random restaurants just south of the Hyatt.

South beach, most of the night life is Shephards. There's a great local reggae band that plays there Tuesday nights; Impulse. I think 8pm to 11pm. There's a night club on the inside, they're on the outside patio.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:12 AM

6,073 posts, read 5,615,146 times
Both spots are great, and the Doubletree is awesome (been there, loved it). At that time of year, it will be dark when you get there, however, so the balcony on the beach may not be as much use to you. So the nightlife up at Clearwater might tip the scale as spbbound noted.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:21 AM

Thanks for the recommendations guys. Appreciate it. Funny you mention Pier 60 spbbound - because that's the hotel we were looking at! For the money, looks hard to beat - especially all the positive reviews on Tripadvisor.

I was wondering about the beach during December too - thanks for mentioning that marcopolo. I did find every other hotel is close to occupancy that week, so I guess it's not going to be TOO dead. Anything is better than where I am coming from though, NY! lol

Looks like Clearwater it is! Mind is made up! Thank you again!

Old 10-17-2013, 01:08 PM

819 posts, read 1,094,280 times
Can't say I've ever stayed there so I don't know how the hotel part is but yeah, I think you'll enjoy the rooftop bar, and the beach is easily walking distance; you're barely further from it than a bad parking spot in the beach parking lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or