Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 07:46 AM

1,404 posts, read 5,700,078 times

Advertisements

Avoid Ybor. Not a good area to live around. Talk to any cop and they will tell that to you. My daughter goes to school around that area-sad that all the magnet schools are in a bad area. One wrong turn and you could be pulling into an area you will never want to return to. Avoid USF area. I don't know any young professional that wants to be near any university. I work in Hyde Park, I move in loads of young professionals. You definitely want to be this way. Westshore isn't bad at all, I live in Westshore but I wouldn't say this is where you want to be either. If you want to be in the middle of it all, SoHo and Hyde Park is your best bet. Downtown is a joke-no offense to those who praise the area--but I have lived here 10 yrs and am from Miami and there's not much to do in downtown. Put it this way, I move in so many young professionals, many who have lived in DT and they all still prefer it here, in Hyde Park, Palma Ceia, and SoHo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjosephunf View Post
I'm a Tampa native and honestly disliked the city growing-up. However, since I've moved back I feel there's a renewed optimism/interest amongst young professionals (Mayor Buckhorn) to make ones mark upon the city. When I lived in Jacksonville and attended UNF it seemed everyone wanted to leave Jacksonville upon graduation for [insert MAJOR city].

Meanwhile, here in Tampa I've met individuals from London/UK, Germany, Columbia, a tad more international/diverse.

I've noticed two groups of "Millenials/young professionals"
1.) Individuals who seem anti-social/or clique, within the past few months I've encountered acquaintances from prep school who still hang amongst one another.....it has been somewhat difficult meeting individuals outside of work/or social circle.

2.) Individuals who feel somewhat apathetic or inferior. I think people are used to hearing the "cool/hip" cities amongst our demographic (Portland, Austin, DC, Atlanta, Brooklyn) but don't realize we can change the stereotype/stigma showing Tampa IS a cool city (Cigar/Mob history) and we can change things for the better.

For myself I feel there's more opportunity when it comes to networking vs. JAX....you have groups such as Emerge Tampa Bay, and various young professional groups (High-Tech, Start-up) etc.

Area's of Tampa Bay's young intellectual capital:
USF Tampa (Research, MAJOR library, surrounding areas somewhat spotty yet gentrifying)
DT St. Pete (USF St. Pete, Museums, Art Galleries, more emphasis on local business)
DT Tampa (University of Tampa, Tampa Bay WaVe Center, Museums, Apartments/Lofts)
Westshore (Financial Centers, Tech, Global Airport, Tech, Mall)
Ybor* (Bars, Offices, Lofts, Restaurants)
SoHo* (Same as Ybor tends to be of a bar/residential area)

Tampa is like a gumbo you get a mix of high-energy/slow pace
JAX = more chill...beach bars are fun though

Sorry if I've rambled :P in all seriousness come visit for 2-3 days. One of my friends from undergrad attends graduate school at USF St. Pete and really likes it over there! Get a feel for the aforementioned areas, on Sunday's there's free Yoga in Curtis Hixon Park (DT Tampa).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 07:47 AM

Oh, and a little info to help--I am 31 so I keep up with the "times" LOL

Old 10-29-2013, 10:53 AM

35,703 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mquintana View Post
Oh, and a little info to help--I am 31 so I keep up with the "times" LOL
you seem to know your stuff, and being you are from Miami -from your post- why is it so dead here?

Old 10-29-2013, 12:46 PM

2,826 posts, read 3,991,787 times
Quote:
Move to South Tampa-hands down. SoHo, Hyde Park, Palma Ceia...But SoHo (South Howard) is where you would really want to be. It's bar city down this street.
Agreed. I live off Westshore now and am moving off SoHo in a month. Being able to walk... errr stumble home will be great.

Old 10-29-2013, 01:00 PM

LMAO. I don't claim to know it all but have been doing property management in this area for almost 10 yrs. so I have a general idea about a lot of areas.

I have no clue why it is so dead here. Tampa is slow paced. Anyone who says otherwise must not be from a city. Bars are the place to be here, clubs are lame. I feel like night life here isn't the greatest but there's some who seem to keep themselves busy. Nothing to offer in DT, Channelside sucks and Ybor is lame (other than Improv).

Miami is much larger, more spread out and way more popular. When you think of Florida, other than Disney, you think of Miami. This area just isn't popping off with tourists and maybe that has something to do with it.

My overall opinion of Tampa...I'd move in a heartbeat lol. But it's not bad, just sleepy.

But since I ate it from another poster who was offended by what they thought I said, I do want to put it out there that this is my thoughts lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
you seem to know your stuff, and being you are from Miami -from your post- why is it so dead here?

Old 10-29-2013, 01:14 PM

LMAO! I cannot tell you how many people feel the same way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsun556 View Post
Agreed. I live off Westshore now and am moving off SoHo in a month. Being able to walk... errr stumble home will be great.

Old 10-29-2013, 01:22 PM

54 posts, read 103,855 times
When I was visiting Tampa for apartment hunting back in August, I ended up having a bite at Pane Rustica bakery off of MacDill Ave. I was very impressed the way they'd merged a lounge/bar with a full-fledged bakery operation.

I am hoping there are more places like that around SoHo...

Old 10-29-2013, 01:30 PM

I wouldn't say these types of places would be off of SoHo but luckily these kind of places are around the Palma Ceia/Hyde Park area.

I personally love South Tampa because more local restaurants rather than chain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kline19 View Post
When I was visiting Tampa for apartment hunting back in August, I ended up having a bite at Pane Rustica bakery off of MacDill Ave. I was very impressed the way they'd merged a lounge/bar with a full-fledged bakery operation.

I am hoping there are more places like that around SoHo...

Old 10-29-2013, 01:35 PM

54 posts, read 103,855 times
Yea South Howard seems to be predominantly bars of a certain type which reminds me of my college-town bar scene more than anything.

Old 10-29-2013, 01:36 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,901,046 times
Quote:
This area just isn't popping off with tourists and maybe that has something to do with it.
Actually tourism is doing well here:

Visitors, Tourism Increasing in Pinellas County - Business - Gulfport, FL Patch

Tourism Continues to Increase in Pinellas - Government - Safety Harbor, FL Patch

Pinellas County tourism enjoyed record visitors, economic impact in 2012 | Tampa Bay Times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay