Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 05:42 PM

1,500 posts, read 3,331,611 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2013, 12:01 PM

17 posts, read 24,560 times
maybe I should look at Tampa Palms?

Old 11-02-2013, 02:36 PM

unfortunately Tampa Palms only allows 2 dogs.

Old 11-02-2013, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mally241 View Post
unfortunately Tampa Palms only allows 2 dogs.
As far as I know there is no pup limit in Temple Terrace but check me on that. I'm going to check on it myself because I think there should be some limit. Certainly three should be acceptable with more for limited periods for anyone breeding pups.

I haven't checked this out yet but there is supposed to be a dog park in town. Here's that...
http://www.templeterrace.com/Documen.../Home/View/278

Biking nearby my professor-friends' home, which is in the same area of the homes for sale I posted, I came across the following curbside "debris", very much typifying this area WEST of 56th St in TEMPLE TERRACE.

It's not just plants left out for neighbors to simple take, it isn't just clearly marked "FREE BROMILIADS", but one of "those people" who live there took the bother to identify the plant for other gardeners who would want to take one. Apparently I got there too late to get the good ones. All "those people" must've scarfed them up. Damned scavengers!

As to all the comments of only some parts of Temple Terrace being nice, the truth is that there is only one small section of town and one being an unincorporated area which is not as nice as the rest and that the rest consists of perfectly fine neighborhoods to live in. Even our worst area is not horrible.

The unincorporated area (a bit rough looking but not much of a safety issue and not visible from the main roads is merely two blocks by two blocks just north of Fowler, just west of Raintree. I suspect that area will one day turn into student housing and some infill condos began there during the bubble, interrupted by the crash, but poised, I think, to improve as there's only so much land near the university available to redevelop.

The only bad incorporated area of the actual town of Temple Terrace starts a few blocks south of Fowler and runs down towards the river. That area only gets sketchy around Busch. North, around City Hall with their police station & Publix is lower cost but perfectly fine as it is again down towards the river. And that small strip of properties extends only from 56th west four blocks to 52nd which is that boundary of town. Beyond that is Tampa.

When I get a chance I'll try to find the number of residents effected by those two minor areas so as to have more precise stats. For now, in simply eyeing a map of the city itself, I'd estimate that about 95% of Temple Terrace a perfectly good area to live in. Information given on this forum which tells otherwise, without providing evidence, is nonsense.

Old 11-05-2013, 12:55 PM

according to the crime map, there is a very heavy infestation of crime, starting just west of 583/56th st N in Temple Terrace. It is almost as if there is a police barricade along there.

Old 11-06-2013, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mally241
Quote:
according to the crime map, there is a very heavy infestation of crime, starting just west of 583/56th st N in Temple Terrace. It is almost as if there is a police barricade along there.

Please provide a link as to what crime map you are referring to. Here's from Temple Terrace Police...

http://www.templeterrace.com/index.aspx?NID=371

which shows nearly no nefarious activity within city limits.

Hillsborough County Sheriff's map refers to the town map which I linked above.

http://gis.hcso.tampa.fl.us/crimemapping/

And the city of Tampa's map RAIDS Online: Regional Analysis and Information Sharing shows some crime not in Temple Terrace but in Tampa, west of 56th, down by Busch, which I've already identified as a rougher area. Though, to be fair, that same map shows about the same amount of criminal activity in pricey Hyde Park, welcome to Tampa.

If that's the map you are looking at, then it will not show crime in Temple Terrace, so I could understand how it might read like a "barricade". Zoom out and I'll bet you see similar crime throughout greater Tampa.

But I'd be real interested to see just what you are referring to, so would appreciate the link. Thanx.

According to //www.city-data.com/city/Temple...e-Florida.html Temple Terrace last rated at a crime rate index of 237 or 26% below the national average.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:41 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,200,367 times
Hmmm.. did you just forget your password?

Quote:
Originally Posted by galeman View Post
I think you could find a place to meet your requirements in the older sections of Carrollwood, Lake Magdalene or Forest Hills. Although my home is not for sale, it fits your criteria. The whole area has mature trees, I'm on 1/3 of an acre and about 20 minutes from USF. I bought for just under $200K, although that was 4 years ago and the house needed a little updating. Most of Carrollwood would fit your first two criteria (mature trees, within 40 minutes of USF) - you'd just need to look a little for the 1/4 acre in your budget. I imagine if one home in the area fits the criteria, others would as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
I think you could find a place to meet your requirements in the older sections of Carrollwood, Lake Magdalene or Forest Hills. Although my home is not for sale, it fits your criteria. The whole area has mature trees, I'm on 1/3 of an acre and about 20 minutes from USF. I bought for just under $200K, although that was 4 years ago and the house needed a little updating. Most of Carrollwood would fit your first two criteria (mature trees, within 40 minutes of USF) - you'd just need to look a little for the 1/4 acre in your budget. I imagine if one home in the area fits the criteria, others would as well.

Old 11-07-2013, 02:19 PM

Here are the latest p/r's (price to rent ratio) based upon sales and rents tracked by Zillow. I believe I've listed all the ones shown available there for Tampa Bay.

To see about where we are in what might be this bubble adjustments period, from my past research of Tampa Bay, and I'd have to look up my notes to be more precise, but as I remember it, this area bubble-peaked at a p/r of about 21 or 23, the Tampa Bay prebubble p/r circa 1999/2000 was about 12.4 and the 15-year long term average running pre thru post bubble was about 15, but again, I'd have to look up my records to know the precise numbers and dates.

I'm pretty sure the numbers I've given here are close. Those numbers would all vary by location and years, of course.

For instance, a quick google of this site

Buying vs. renting: Find price-to-rent ratios in your area - CNNMoney.com

shows Tampa Bay at a p/r of 13.31 for a 15 year period running 1989 (a decade before the bubble) thru 2003 (mid bubble).

I think the national long term average is a p/r of about 15, but by all means check me on that. I haven't looked it up on a while so might not recall precisely.

By these numbers then it might be possible to hone in somewhat on, not precisely, but to get an idea of which areas might be over or under priced at this stage of the bubble game.

Old 11-07-2013, 06:31 PM

5,645 posts, read 6,206,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDenudinFL View Post
Hmmm.. did you just forget your password?
I made the original post…..have no idea why someone copied it (and it's the only post by that poster)….I have only one log in name…..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay