Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 09:21 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,826,749 times

Advertisements

According to a report on Fox13, here are the number of sinkholes by county:

Pasco - 8816
Hernando - 4147
Hillsborough - 3325
Marion - 916
Pinellas - 851
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 08:37 AM

17,452 posts, read 38,829,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
It's not about Dunedin or any other town specifically. It covers all the counties, therefore I put it in its own thread so people would know where to find it. Someone looking for this broader information may not look for it in a thread specifically about Dunedin. That's all.

Have a nice day.
I agree with you. It's good info, and would be buried in the Dunedin thread. I do find it interesting that the southern part of the state has totally different geology regarding the limestone formations, and therefore has very few sinkholes. Even though I am a lifelong native of the Tampa Bay area I was never aware of how many there are in Hillsborough and Pinellas. They are definitely increasing with all the extra people living here now and all the pumping of water from the aquifer.

Old 11-15-2013, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I agree with you. It's good info, and would be buried in the Dunedin thread. I do find it interesting that the southern part of the state has totally different geology regarding the limestone formations, and therefore has very few sinkholes. Even though I am a lifelong native of the Tampa Bay area I was never aware of how many there are in Hillsborough and Pinellas. They are definitely increasing with all the extra people living here now and all the pumping of water from the aquifer.
Looking at the sinkhole map, the northeast section of Pinellas County into the western part of Hillsborough county have no sinkholes. The 611 route in the East Lake corridor has lots of buildings (homes and business) along it, but no sinkholes there east of Lake Tarpon. Strange. Does not seem like that would be correct. West of Lake Tarpon and down through Dunedin have sinkholes.

My father in law has a theory that the lake somehow keeps the east side filled with water underground, preventing collapses. Not sure if that is valid, as you would think it would do the same thing to the west side.....but not according to the map.

Old 11-15-2013, 06:34 PM

54 posts, read 103,347 times
That's a huge number for Hillsborough county. I wonder how many are reported in SoHo Hyde Park area.

Old 11-15-2013, 06:43 PM

1,500 posts, read 3,312,897 times
According to http://www.dep.state.fl.us/geology/p...kholetype2.pdf most of Pinellas is in the bad Area III shown on the map in blue where "sinkholes are most numerous...and develop abruptly", the man-eating, landshark, didn't have a chance in hell, killer sink holes. Lots of Hillsborough is in there too with the exception of much of south Tampa, as well as most of Temple Terrace and Thonotosassa shown as yellow in the not as bad Area I where "sinkholes are few, generally shallow...and develop gradually", you know, the gentle sinkholes, not the earth shattering ones of Pinellas.

In any case, even if the earth doesn't open up under the foundation of Pinellas, as the poles melt, the Gulf will engulf your property (we'll be renaming it Palm Stump Harbor), that's if flood insurance doesn't sink your neighborhood first. (just kidding, of course)

Surging Seas: Sea level rise analysis by Climate Central

Last edited by housingcrashsurvivor; 11-15-2013 at 06:56 PM..

Old 11-15-2013, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by housingcrashsurvivor View Post
According to http://www.dep.state.fl.us/geology/p...kholetype2.pdf most of Pinellas is in the bad Area III shown on the map in blue where "sinkholes are most numerous...and develop abruptly", the man-eating, landshark, didn't have a chance in hell, killer sink holes. Lots of Hillsborough is in there too with the exception of much of south Tampa, as well as most of Temple Terrace and Thonotosassa shown as yellow in the not as bad Area I where "sinkholes are few, generally shallow...and develop gradually", you know, the gentle sinkholes, not the earth shattering ones of Pinellas.

In any case, even if the earth doesn't open up under the foundation of Pinellas, as the poles melt, the Gulf will engulf your property (we'll be renaming it Palm Stump Harbor), that's if flood insurance doesn't sink your neighborhood first. (just kidding, of course)

Surging Seas: Sea level rise analysis by Climate Central
Looks like I am safe, even if the imaginary rising seas ever happen, even with tidal surge.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:27 PM

Yeah, I lived near or directly on the water for decades and I've been watching it rise. As did my engineer ol'man and as has my engineer brother. We've all commented on it. You see it right at the docks, right at the seawalls. It's real obvious. While we don't know quite how high it might get, that part was of course a joke as all we have is speculation, but we do know it has been rising and we can be pretty sure that will continue.

Why do you think the government is just now changing how flood insurance premiums are paid? It's not because they don't expect problems.

We know there's already been a rise of about 9 inches since the 1920s, probably a foot since the industrial revolution, and that's before this really warmed up. And it's not just the overall rise but the potential surge in storms. Just like the flood issue is not just a matter of a particular house, but of others in the area which are below flood. Just like how a neighborhood might not have had many foreclosures but the surrounding area might have. The one high house won't be unaffected.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I lived near or directly on the water for decades and I've been watching it rise. As did my engineer ol'man and as has my engineer brother. We've all commented on it. You see it right at the docks, right at the seawalls. It's real obvious. While we don't know quite how high it might get, that part was of course a joke as all we have is speculation, but we do know it has been rising and we can be pretty sure that will continue.

Why do you think the government is just now changing how flood insurance premiums are paid? It's not because they don't expect problems.

We know there's already been a rise of about 9 inches since the 1920s, probably a foot since the industrial revolution, and that's before this really warmed up. And it's not just the overall rise but the potential surge in storms. Just like the flood issue is not just a matter of a particular house, but of others in the area which are below flood. Just like how a neighborhood might not have had many foreclosures but the surrounding area might have. The one high house won't be unaffected.
Odd, because we have family who live at Island Estates in Clearwater, which are little pieces of land sticking out in the gulf. According to what we have been told, the water has not moved other than high tide and low tide. They have a sea wall with boat dock, so they have an easy time telling the height of the water.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:55 PM

30,131 posts, read 20,843,952 times
Quote:

It will snow ball as more ice melts on parts of the planet. More exposed earth will heat up even more meaning less ice and higher sea levels.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:59 PM

Well, this is just anecdotal but I was raised by a family of boaters and we've been personally watching it rise in Florida since the 70s. My fave uncle had a home on the St. John's in Jax since at least the 60s as I recall from when I was a little kid, and later kept a boat in St. Augustine, my grandfather lived on the water in the Gables since the 40s though they're all dead so I can only go by when my immediate family arrived in the 70s. My brother got here in the 80s and he's noticed it even since then. He's commented on it to me. In south Florida, many of the older docks look like they were built too low.

As to empirical evidence, here's the NOAA data:

Sea Level Trends - NOAA Tides & Currents

And here you can see the rising in Clearwater charted only from the mid 70s. It's real obvious what's going on, um, I mean, up.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay