U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 12:28 PM

181 posts, read 462,946 times

Advertisements

I have a home warranty for my Tampa home that will be running out soon and I am price shopping. I have an AC that is older and may go at some point so I am wondering if anyone has had success with a home warranty company replacing the AC; if so, what company and were there limits on the amount paid out, etc? If they refused to pay, that would be of interest too.

Thanks,
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2013, 12:45 PM

673 posts, read 1,124,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlett68 View Post
I have a home warranty for my Tampa home that will be running out soon and I am price shopping. I have an AC that is older and may go at some point so I am wondering if anyone has had success with a home warranty company replacing the AC; if so, what company and were there limits on the amount paid out, etc? If they refused to pay, that would be of interest too.

Thanks,
I assume you bought one the warranty when you bought the house, which was previously owned by someone else. I also assume that the AC is original to the house. If I am correct, I'd say that the warranty won't cover it because it has lived it's useful life. I think it is your responsibility to replace the AC.

Old 11-03-2013, 12:59 PM

4,586 posts, read 4,980,321 times
Quote:

Thanks,
No such thing unless the unit is flat out dead.
We are going through this right now, had the service tech come out, paid $60, and all he did was put freon in the unit and left. He did not check for leaks, or anything else. They will milk it until the warranty period is over so they don't have to replace it.

Old 11-03-2013, 01:41 PM

8,704 posts, read 9,600,793 times
Quote:

Thanks,
Most warranty companies have a $1,500 limit on AC repairs. One company has a $5,000 limit. Make sure you ask what their limit is.

Old 11-03-2013, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
Most warranty companies have a $1,500 limit on AC repairs. One company has a $5,000 limit. Make sure you ask what their limit is.
You mean until they replace it? or the AC they'll replace it with has to be within that price range?

Old 11-03-2013, 03:25 PM

8,704 posts, read 9,600,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
You mean until they replace it? or the AC they'll replace it with has to be within that price range?
The max they will spend on repair or replacement.

Old 11-03-2013, 05:00 PM

26,873 posts, read 42,251,959 times
AHS has replaced them when they broke down and couldn't be fixed but they will try to fix them as often as possible to avoid replacing them.

We dealt with a diffferent home warranty and the owner had to pay a very low amount for a service call but when the A/C broke down they din't cover a new unit as she thought they would do.

AHS has been very good so far. This month we had a water heater breaking down at a rental propety and within one day they pulled the permit and replaced a very large water heater for only $ 75.- that the owner had to pay.

Old 11-03-2013, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
The max they will spend on repair or replacement.
Thanks! I'll have to call and ask them that now.

Old 11-04-2013, 05:12 AM

26,873 posts, read 42,251,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
Thanks! I'll have to call and ask them that now.
Any pre condition is not covered if discovered. I would suggest to call to a general number without giving out your account number and just ask a question so they don't flag your account...(not sure if they will flag it but I can see how certain questions at a certain time can raise a flag)

Old 11-04-2013, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Any pre condition is not covered if discovered. I would suggest to call to a general number without giving out your account number and just ask a question so they don't flag your account...(not sure if they will flag it but I can see how certain questions at a certain time can raise a flag)
Ohh, ok. Thanks for the tip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: