U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 02:24 PM

24 posts, read 29,473 times

Advertisements

My family lives in Missouri about 50 miles west of St. Louis. We have lived here all our life and we are ready for a change. We are mid to late 30s and have 2 kids aged 7 & 4. My wife has always loved Florida so we are strongly considering a move there. She wants to be a close distance to a beach and to stay on the Gulf side of the state.

Housing- We would probably rent and we could go $1000/mo or maybe more
Employment - I work for the post office so I can direct a transfer close to any town.
Schooling - Having a 7 & 4 year old.....education is important so we want to find an area with good schools
Crime - Obviously there is crime everywhere but I'd rather stay away from areas there is a lot of it....living near St. Louis I know how bad crime can get and the good and bad areas.
Other - We'd like an area where there are a lot of family things to do but not have to drive 50 miles or more every single time to go there.

Anyone have any suggestions of towns you could give a little info on and we can do a little research about?

Thanks so much!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 03:45 PM

175 posts, read 317,572 times
Bloomingdale

Old 11-04-2013, 05:45 PM

3,380 posts, read 8,344,659 times
You rent is too low. You'll need at least $1200 if you want to live in a house with a good school. It will not include a pool and be in the neighbhood of 1400sf - 1600sf. This is nowhere near the water.

Northdale, Carrollwood, Riverview, Brandon might be places you can find in this price range. Use Zillow to see which schools are assigned to which homes you find. Stay away from any school rated below a 7.

Last edited by FloridaKash; 11-04-2013 at 05:55 PM..

Old 11-05-2013, 05:42 AM

4,586 posts, read 4,967,958 times
How is "Bloomingdale" close to any beaches?

Close to the beaches means close to retirees, tourists, and usually expensive properties that go to private schools.
There are some magnet schools in Clearwater, but you'll have to research statistics etc.

Your budget is very low for the good schools.

If you want to be closer to the water, you have to look in Palm Harbor, or Tarpon Springs, but your budget is really low for the safer areas with good schools closer to the beaches.

Old 11-05-2013, 08:09 AM

1,163 posts, read 1,857,143 times
I agree with FloridaKash. Your rent figure is likely too low to cover your other desired needs.

I am not as familiar with Pinellas rent figures and neighborhoods, but you could possibly get lucky in Oldsmar, Town N Country, or all those neighborhoods around Hillsborough Ave out that way. They seem relatively safe to me when driving past them (and I home searched in the area once), although some have led me to believe otherwise on this forum. The drive to the beach is probably 15-20 minutes depending on traffic.

I can tell you that South Tampa is out of the question. We rented a tiny 900 sq ft block home for $900/mo starting about 3 years ago...and by the time we moved out a few months ago, the same house size in our neighborhood was going for $1400-1500/mo in rental. To add, this neighborhood wasn't zoned for Plant High district or other good schools...that would jump the rental price up even more. We didn't have kids, so that didn't bother us.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:10 AM

1,725 posts, read 3,162,888 times
My personal take only:

The Beach here is phenomenal when you first arrive. All the time is spent thinking about getting back there. After a few months, that sort of goes away. The Beach is still a huge part of Tampa, but everyday living tends to change 'Beach Time'. Posters are correct. Will be hard to get with that budget. Another 200 to 400 a month changes things drastically.

Old 11-05-2013, 02:42 PM

1,404 posts, read 5,315,510 times
Not close to beaches. Probably 40-45 mins to Siesta Key

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
How is "Bloomingdale" close to any beaches?

Close to the beaches means close to retirees, tourists, and usually expensive properties that go to private schools.
There are some magnet schools in Clearwater, but you'll have to research statistics etc.

Your budget is very low for the good schools.

If you want to be closer to the water, you have to look in Palm Harbor, or Tarpon Springs, but your budget is really low for the safer areas with good schools closer to the beaches.

Old 11-05-2013, 02:47 PM

1,404 posts, read 5,315,510 times
Your price range is way too low. For example-my friend leased a 3 bedroom home in Brandon-they pay $1400/mon. and it's not even in the greatest of neighborhoods (but not in a bad one either). You will most definately want to bring that price range up a couple hundred.
Being near the beach with that budget, that isn't going to be easy either but most good beaches would be in Manatee County which is south of here.
For better info on schools (based on the area you are looking into), check here: Hillsborough County Public Schools - School Locator - Powered by Smart School Locator from Advanced Andean Solutions LLC
There are plenty of good schools in the area.
For family things to do here, it's possible. Even living on the outskirts of Tampa-in the 'burbs, you would still be within a 30 min. drive. I find more things to do as a family in South Tampa but I am sure there are other areas that offer the same.

Old 11-10-2013, 07:54 AM

24 posts, read 29,473 times
Thanks for all the info! We can be flexible in price so I'll take that into consideration. I probably agree with the poster about the beach being nice but once you're there everyday it gets to be ho hum....my wife is hell bent on moving close to the beach though always telling me "if you're able to live by a beach everyday why wouldn't you?" And you know if momma ain't happy ain't nobody happy. haha

Old 11-10-2013, 08:55 AM

8,704 posts, read 9,576,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfer View Post
My personal take only:

The Beach here is phenomenal when you first arrive. All the time is spent thinking about getting back there. After a few months, that sort of goes away. The Beach is still a huge part of Tampa, but everyday living tends to change 'Beach Time'. Posters are correct. Will be hard to get with that budget. Another 200 to 400 a month changes things drastically.
I think it depends on where one lives. If they live away from the coast a bit, then it may become less enticing to head to the beach or the coast for lunch or dinner as often. But if you live close to the coast, like we do, then the urge can remain. We just love dining on the coast, overlooking the gulf. We do it all the time. We never tire of it. But if we lived 45-60 minutes inland, I doubt we would take advantage of it as much.

It's all about location and interests/priorities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay