Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 02:07 AM

104 posts, read 172,023 times

Advertisements

Anyone in West St. Pete have FIOS yet? Can anyone comment where they have service in South County? I have Brighthouse in one location and FIOS in another. FIOS BLOWS BRIGHTHOUSE AWAY. I get rocket fast FIOS 75mps for same price as Brighthouse 10mbps crap service. My FIOS WIFI is so strong that my wife has accidentally intercepted my phone call on her car's bluetooth before she pulls into the driveway! She regularly hears my iPhone music when she starts the car in the drive when my phone is idle in the house. With Brighthouse AND a third party booster, Netflix won't run on my daughters laptop if she is upstairs from our centrally located router. That said, Brighthouse has much better customer service, but I'll put up with Verizon's crappy customer service constantly trying to upsell you and confusing billing tactics for the far superior technical service. Suffice it to say, I can't wait to get FIOS in W. St. Pete.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 10:05 AM

1,613 posts, read 3,237,087 times
If its not there now, its not going to be there.. ever.. Their done expanding unless they are in a contractual agreement already.

Old 11-04-2013, 12:23 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,893,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Tim Tim View Post
If its not there now, its not going to be there.. ever.. Their done expanding unless they are in a contractual agreement already.
Why do they not want to or plan to expand further, when most everyone who has them loves them?

Old 11-04-2013, 03:53 PM

2,637 posts, read 12,628,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
Why do they not want to or plan to expand further, when most everyone who has them loves them?
Because their fiber laying machine kept punching through buried water lines and causing massive fines to Verizon.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:12 PM

145 posts, read 229,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
Because their fiber laying machine kept punching through buried water lines and causing massive fines to Verizon.

Yeah but most of the time they were not in the wrong. Those water lines were not at the proper recorded depth (on paper and to city code) is what I heard. They were 1-2-3 feet too close to ground level. Anyway, hopefully they resolve those issues and expand further!!!

Old 11-05-2013, 10:35 PM

819 posts, read 1,407,915 times
Just closed on a home down on st pete beach today and am very said I'm going to be having to give up my Fios when it comes time to move. Only paying for 30/15 in Tampa now but typically see upwards of 60/30 sustained; I've had it since 2007. Of course I also only pay half what it's going to cost for Brighthouse 'turbo'. Ugh.

Old 11-06-2013, 01:06 PM

1,613 posts, read 3,237,087 times
they don't make any money off of it. It costs too much to deploy/service compared to their wireless side. To make money they would need to charge much more than what they are.

Old 11-06-2013, 01:17 PM

819 posts, read 1,407,915 times
Yeah, I think the initial roll out was probably accounted for as 'advertising expense' to make new communities and municipalities want Fios and to be cooperative with Verizon bringing it in to new areas, but at this point most people have a good opinion of it and/or want it but it's not cost effective to spend money digging up any more existing communities.

However, that may all change in upcoming years years. The wire line business and existing cable plants are not going to get any cheaper to maintain as the staff who have experience with the head end equipment retire, equipment ages, unions, etc. At some point it's going to be cheaper for them to deploy Fios in areas to supplant the hard wired phone service than it will be to maintain that 'old' setup, especially if it's an area they want to offer triple play service.

Old 11-06-2013, 01:21 PM

145 posts, read 229,471 times
I think 3 x Tim nailed it pretty well. Wireless is the path they will focus and launch new areas. Much cheaper and the technology is very reliable the last few years. Putting down new hardwire, especially in a tourist area like a beach, is not as cost effective as going wireless.
Just my opinion of course!

Old 11-06-2013, 01:39 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,819,414 times
I saw the same thing up north. I was like the first person in my town connected to FIOS about 8-9 years ago when it first rolled out. They are still deploying in the Philadelphia area because they agreed to do the entire area in order to get approval from the PUC (Public Utility Commission). Of course, they rolled it out into the more "affluent" areas first, because that's where the money was to be made. Now, they are doing areas within the city limits only because they are obligated to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: