Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 08:15 AM

1 posts, read 1,566 times

Advertisements

So I moved into my apartment almost 9 months ago. When I first moved my landlord asked if there was anyone else besides me and my husband and at the time there wasn't. My landlord said that was fine and the next day we signed our lease. I completely reviewed my lease before signing it and saw absolutely nothing about a pet policy or pet deposit in it. Shortly after about a month or so later me and my husband bought a puppy. We didn't think it would be and issue since almost everyone in our entire neighborhood has dogs and there was nothing stated in our lease that pets weren't allowed. Almost 2 months after we got our dog. My landlord starts calling my phone repeatedly while I'm at work. When I finally spoke to her she asked if I had a dog and told me that there are no pets allowed and that I would have to get rid of my dog. I simply told her that I was not going go do so and If I had to make a choice I would move because that's not stated in our lease. She then told me she would cut me a deal and I could pay $300 for one dog and I could keep her. She told me I could make payments of $75 until it's paid. I let her know when I got paid I'd give her a payment (verbal agreement ). 2 weeks later she was back harassing me about my first payment again. I came home gave her the first payment and left it at that. Our neighbor told us she said the same thing to them, but they weren't paying it cause our building is a wreck and needs a ton of work. Weeks later she started harassing me again about the money. I spoke with a lawyer who informed me that I didn't have to pay her any additional money for a pet if it's not stated in my lease about a pet policy or pet fee. I pay my rent on time each month and have receipts and everything. She told me I have to get rid of my dog or pay the balance of $225. I'm just really frustrated and need some advice as to what to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 08:29 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
I'm curious what this person can do if you don't pay - as far as long term consequences with your next rental, wherever that may be. I know that whenever I used to rent, they'd do some sort of search of my rental history elsewhere to determine if I was a good renter.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:29 AM

153 posts, read 192,079 times
I think the $225 would be less than any legal proceeding? Personally I do think you were in the wrong getting a dog in a rental without disclosing it to the owner. I'm not justifying the owner's "harraassment" but it sounds like they were willing to work with you. I probably would have better negotiated the amount owed, but $300 as a fee isn't the worst I've seen for having a dog 10 out of the 12 months in the apartment.

Now if you're leaving in 3 months and want to stick it to them since your lawyer friend says it's not in the lease thats fine, and you want to fight tooth and nail over the security deposit. Personally I'd avoid the headache and pay up the $225, but to each his/her own.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:31 AM

153 posts, read 192,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I know that whenever I used to rent, they'd do some sort of search of my rental history elsewhere to determine if I was a good renter.
Great point. I also hated knowing my landlord had my social security number. Not sure what they could actually put on my credit report as a private landlord, but I always wondered.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:35 AM

3,826 posts, read 5,806,501 times
I agree with LandsharkJB.
Puppy (potty trained?) is a big issue for any home, so pet deposit is there for a reason.
Last time we rented our townhouse people decided not to disclose they had a cat, but we found out and kept some $$ from their deposit at the end. Cleaning the house after animal is a huge deal, and it might be a deal breaker for next rentals.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:39 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,601,624 times
You are better off listening to an attorney. My opinion is that if it isn't in writing, it's hearsay and difficult to enforce. If the landlord agrees to your pet for a fee, then get an addendum to the lease and pay it.

Old 11-04-2013, 04:46 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
The Landlord can give you a notice to be in compliance with the lease. If you lease has mentioned who is there to live than it is something that can become an issue.

Keep in mind it is not your home and it is better to have a good relationship.

Did the lawyer actual see your lease? We often have tenants (usually around move ou time) making claims that certain things are not in the lease and within seconds we can point to where it is stated in the lease...

Reading and understanding a contract are two separate things.

Keep in mind that having a dog comes with a liability for the owner as well.

We have put tenants on bad tenant websites for having a different breed as they claimed to have and even one fooled us by showing us 2 labradors and moving in with 2 pitt bulls. When the owner got code violations for the dogs we knew pretty fast that they were not the same dogs as we had seen when we showed the house.

Old 11-04-2013, 05:01 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,123,759 times
This is what it boils down to:
  • Don't pay it - get harassed by the landlord, they'll make you miserable and when your lease is up they won't renew it. You'll have to find another place that accepts dogs and end up paying a pet fee there.
  • Pay it - no longer be harassed and know that you may be able to renew your lease when it comes time.

I would think it would have cost you at least $100 to have a lawyer look at your lease. And by lawyer, I mean a lawyer in town familiar with Florida law.

Old 11-04-2013, 05:24 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
This is what it boils down to:
  • Don't pay it - get harassed by the landlord, they'll make you miserable and when your lease is up they won't renew it. You'll have to find another place that accepts dogs and end up paying a pet fee there.
  • Pay it - no longer be harassed and know that you may be able to renew your lease when it comes time.

I would think it would have cost you at least $100 to have a lawyer look at your lease. And by lawyer, I mean a lawyer in town familiar with Florida law.
I gree there are lawyers and lawyers and it also comes down to a lawyer having gone completely over your lease or the OP calling and telling it is not in the lease and the lawyer replying "than don't pay it" which doesn't mean the lawyers answer would be the same as if the lawyer had seen the lease.

A lot of tenants tink they can scam the owner for not disclosing some pets and just staing they have one....too bad when the security deposit needs to be returned and/or repairs have to be made at the property...usually all the contractors we work with will give us certain info.

Some never call for repairs since they believe it is easier and to avoid any pet from being discovered.

Old 11-04-2013, 05:38 PM

1,237 posts, read 3,448,948 times
How it was handled aside, pet deposit and/or pet rent is VERY common. It's possible that if you had had a pet when you moved in, your landlord would have provided a different lease that included pet information.

It may not be specifically in the lease, but it was short sighted of you to think that anyone would allow a renter to have a pet with absolutely no financial obligation.

Honestly a $300 pet deposit is pretty standard, pay it and move when your lease is up to get away from crazy. Even to hire a lawyer just to give you guidance on how to proceed will probably cost you more. Just make sure you get something in writing stating that after paying the $300 it is acceptable to have the dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay