Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 01:17 AM

161 posts, read 273,700 times

Advertisements

My aunt's 55+ condo was in that below 30k price.
When she passed away and left it to me, I considered keeping it (and be a snowbird) but paying the monthly HOA fee did not compute. It was too high in relation to the low value of the condo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 01:54 AM

676 posts, read 1,271,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus430 View Post
Thanks tiny for the reply. That was another question that came up for me. I have Children and Grandchildren and it seems like your hands are tied with 55+. I would want it that if I don't travel down (I'm over 65), that my kids can use the condo otherwise the condo is just sitting there as I pay monthly expenses. I know there are rules for renting, but I don't want it for that.
I am 66 and I did not even consider an over 55 community when I was looking last spring. I bought in MiraBay and wanted to be surrounded by people of all ages. If you have to sell a house or condo in an over 55 community, you must find another over 55 buyer.

Old 11-07-2013, 06:13 AM

35,691 posts, read 21,045,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinballdad View Post
I am pretty sure Florida passed a law that if your parents pass, you can move in. It's called an 80/20 law or something. Our condo is not 55+ but we did look at several last spring time. We were worried about the 55+ law so we checked into it. Also, you can buy in a 55+complex even if you are under 55. You can only stay in it for I think 2 weeks a year though. This 2 week provision is so you can paint and fix it up.
Those old folks don't obey rules.. and if you get in and they are not happy- there will be hell to pay. Being a leasing agent in one of my jobs in life- I had to explain things to the board- they were going to make me pay a deposit to move out in case I damaged their new elevator. THEY HAD no clue. anyhow I paid them nothing and nothing was damaged. point was- they did not even know legally what they were doing with rules they were imposing.

55 & Over Housing: What is the 80/20 Rule? | Florida Condo & HOA Legal Blog

now there is one place called Seville in Clearwater and every building has it's own association. Some allow pets other one member can be no less than 40- etc.

Old 11-07-2013, 07:42 AM

2,111 posts, read 7,950,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deebin View Post
My aunt's 55+ condo was in that below 30k price.
When she passed away and left it to me, I considered keeping it (and be a snowbird) but paying the monthly HOA fee did not compute. It was too high in relation to the low value of the condo.
I don't see the logic in this, maybe someone can help. If you inherit a condo and can afford the upkeep, why not keep it but I don't see the logic in comparing the worth vs HOA fees. When purchasing a condo, I can understand this, but you didn't purchase.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:11 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,427,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowderSpringsDad View Post
I am 66 and I did not even consider an over 55 community when I was looking last spring. I bought in MiraBay and wanted to be surrounded by people of all ages. If you have to sell a house or condo in an over 55 community, you must find another over 55 buyer.
Not necessarily.

55 & Over Housing: What is the 80/20 Rule? | Florida Condo & HOA Legal Blog

Old 11-07-2013, 09:14 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,427,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus430 View Post
I don't see the logic in this, maybe someone can help. If you inherit a condo and can afford the upkeep, why not keep it but I don't see the logic in comparing the worth vs HOA fees. When purchasing a condo, I can understand this, but you didn't purchase.
HOA fees can get expensive in some communities (mine is $400/month). That's quite a sum of money in many people's budget.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:22 AM

35,691 posts, read 21,045,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
its still very IFFY- buying and selling later- I could have bought that place for less that $40K but I was like going to a tomb every night, and they complained all the time about the party guy on 1st floor- and I NEVER heard him or any noise from his apt,, they just didn't like that he was having fun. just too constricting..

Old 11-08-2013, 02:27 AM

161 posts, read 273,700 times
My logic was this: For a condo worth $25k, it didn't seem plausible to pay near $400/month HOA (never mind a small annual property tax) for a place I might inhabit less than half the year.
On top of that, it also needed some renovations.

Old 11-08-2013, 02:32 AM

676 posts, read 1,271,468 times
deebin, not sure about Del Webb, which is north of Mirabay, but, yes, we are in a flood zone (AE). Insurance varies depending on company and agent. My homeowners will be about 1500 per year and my flood about 900 year (2 buildings - each insured).

Old 11-10-2013, 10:50 AM

145 posts, read 229,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deebin View Post
My logic was this: For a condo worth $25k, it didn't seem plausible to pay near $400/month HOA (never mind a small annual property tax) for a place I might inhabit less than half the year.
On top of that, it also needed some renovations.
My hoa is $490 month and property tax over $2,400 a year. My wife and I will use it less than 4 weeks a year. But---it is ours and we got in at a great price. It may even appreciate at the same rate as we are paying for all that stuff. Either way I could flip it tomorrow for $15 k more than I paid. So it depends on the deal you can get up front.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay