Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 08:08 PM

641 posts, read 1,015,688 times

Advertisements

You northerners sure are funny, basically destroy places up north and instead of fixing it, you run away down here and do the same thing. Where you gonna run to when you destroy Florida? LOL

Dont need reps BTW as you can see im doing alright without you salesmen repping me; my ratio is destroying most of yours anyway

In regards to biologist jobs, there are so many firms in this area alone that are private and unsubsidized that it makes me think you people really have no idea wtf you are talking about. What a joke haha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 08:13 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,833,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
It seems that some posters are locked into the "minimum wage, no jobs, high COL" thought process and will never break free from their thinking. When something happens that goes against that thought process they will use other means in an attempt to prove they are right and everybody else
is wrong.
Yep. Pretty sad in my opinion. No sense discussing anything with them, as they just want to go on rant after rant. Life is too short for that. I am glad people will have the mall they want to have. I am happy for them and the people who will get the jobs.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:34 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,024,514 times
I wonder if you would be surprised to know that the developer/owner of the property is out of Indianapolis, Indiana.

So many biology firms? Are they making minimum wage too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red3311 View Post
You northerners sure are funny, basically destroy places up north and instead of fixing it, you run away down here and do the same thing. Where you gonna run to when you destroy Florida? LOL

Dont need reps BTW as you can see im doing alright without you salesmen repping me; my ratio is destroying most of yours anyway

In regards to biologist jobs, there are so many firms in this area alone that are private and unsubsidized that it makes me think you people really have no idea wtf you are talking about. What a joke haha

Old 11-14-2013, 11:41 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,328,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
It should open close to the end of 2014!

Great for the area and for people looking for jobs and the housing market
Are $9/hr retail jobs really that coveted? Do they really buy homes with that income?

Will the mall pay for increased infrastructure needs with the highways, drainage, and sewer? Who pays for the $9/hr workers who qualify for welfare benefits? Assuming people in Florida have been shopping before the opening of this new mall, which businesses do you think will be most negatively impacted?

Old 11-15-2013, 05:14 AM

27,206 posts, read 46,547,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by things and stuff View Post
Are $9/hr retail jobs really that coveted? Do they really buy homes with that income?

Will the mall pay for increased infrastructure needs with the highways, drainage, and sewer? Who pays for the $9/hr workers who qualify for welfare benefits? Assuming people in Florida have been shopping before the opening of this new mall, which businesses do you think will be most negatively impacted?
What's wrong with a $9/hr job. Does everyone have to own a home? Is it so bad to rent until you can afford a home or save like we had to do.

I rented for years and saved money on a lower paid job. We ended up being very happy buying a small home and even happier when we sold it with a profit and did it again and again and ended up with bigger homes every time.

The entire housing mess started when Dodd/Frank came up with the idea that everyone is entitled to be a home owner.

These government people never even thought that a house for $30,000 is perhaps something to start with if you have not much money but no no, people who made $10/hr lied their way into a $200K home and the mortgage brokers never checked if the salaries were for real or fake and signed off on the loan and when the ARM increased interest rate came up they couldn't afford it...what a surprise!

Do you rather have people getting their unemployment check by doing nothing and still not able to buy a home or getting a minimum wage job or $9/hr which above minimum wage and trying to move up the ladder like most people have to do who were not born into a wealthy family, like I wasn't.

I bought my first car at 18 from my own saved money and it was a cheap car but I was so proud...and I knew I wanted more out of life and worked for it. Nothing wrong with that and nobody died from a minimum wage job and many people are happy getting a job!

About the road....since it seems you don't live here you have no clue! and I can't blame you but don't say things you have no clue about since a private company put in a bid to build an additional toll road.

I drive that road daily and probably don't want to use a toll road daily but that way hopefully we can choose which road to take since it will be a new build road so the old one should stay if I understood it correctly.

Old 11-15-2013, 05:39 AM

641 posts, read 1,015,688 times
^ wow talk about rants! When I was 18 blah blah blah...these developers have the lobby in Tallahassee in check so they pay little to no IMPACT FEES. Meanwhile we all have to suffer for the increased cement that is getting poured all over our state. @things and stuff take a look at Oregon, they are a model for building that we should have been following for at least 50 yeas. TBH, its too far gone now to save this state from the developer crooks. As Bentle mentioned they are usually from up north so they dont care how many trees they tear down as long as they get to put their building up and make a PROFIT. They don't have to live here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by things and stuff View Post

Its funny that the cheerleaders on here are from up north but yet want as much building as possible. I guess they want florida to be like NYC with endless concrete or something. As for the $9/hr jobs being coveted, I don't get that either, one of the posters who just so happens to hate Priuses brags on here all day about the great neighborhood he lives in and despises poor people so I really don't get that either. I think they just like arguing for the sake of arguing because they are bored and have nothing better to do.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
What's wrong with a $9/hr job. Does everyone have to own a home? Is it so bad to rent until you can afford a home or save like we had to do.

I rented for years and saved money on a lower paid job. We ended up being very happy buying a small home and even happier when we sold it with a profit and did it again and again and ended up with bigger homes every time.

The entire housing mess started when Dodd/Frank came up with the idea that everyone is entitled to be a home owner.

These government people never even thought that a house for $30,000 is perhaps something to start with if you have not much money but no no, people who made $10/hr lied their way into a $200K home and the mortgage brokers never checked if the salaries were for real or fake and signed off on the loan and when the ARM increased interest rate came up they couldn't afford it...what a surprise!

Do you rather have people getting their unemployment check by doing nothing and still not able to buy a home or getting a minimum wage job or $9/hr which above minimum wage and trying to move up the ladder like most people have to do who were not born into a wealthy family, like I wasn't.

I bought my first car at 18 from my own saved money and it was a cheap car but I was so proud...and I knew I wanted more out of life and worked for it. Nothing wrong with that and nobody died from a minimum wage job and many people are happy getting a job!

About the road....since it seems you don't live here you have no clue! and I can't blame you but don't say things you have no clue about since a private company put in a bid to build an additional toll road.

I drive that road daily and probably don't want to use a toll road daily but that way hopefully we can choose which road to take since it will be a new build road so the old one should stay if I understood it correctly.
Spot on, perfectly accurate post!

I remember the days of working our way up. I started flipping burgers at BK and my wife changed bed pans in a nursing home. We made minimum wage and had an apartment. We seeked out opportunities and climbed the ladder over many years. Bought a condo, then bought a small house, then bought and sold more making profits. Classic old American stuff. Not the instant gratification stuff of today.

Another thing to consider, for the portion of the jobs which pay that low (and not all will), is that for many this is second household person income.....supplementing the main bread winner......so it is additional income for the household.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red3311 View Post
I don't get that either, one of the posters who just so happens to hate Priuses brags on here all day about the great neighborhood he lives in and despises poor people so I really don't get that either. I think they just like arguing for the sake of arguing because they are bored and have nothing better to do.
I have to correct you on this part. I do not despise poor people. I never said such a thing. We were poor much of our lives, sleeping on the floor, sitting on bundles of newspapers as chairs, etc. We worked our way up and we are just thrilled to now be living the American Dream in a place we love. We are just so happy and like to express that and let other people know they can do it as well and Tampa Bay can be a great place for many. I apologize if it came off as not liking poor people. That is certainly not the case. I just want the best for everyone.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:02 AM

1,725 posts, read 3,449,315 times
On some Prius you just have to let them believe in their logic. You can't change the type of mentality of those that think things should be left alone. I actually hate New York City and would never live there. So progress to me isn't about filling Florida with Cement, it's about building some infrastructure that supports the local economy. But it's easier to dump everyone into one category and call them a name.

I will say about your comment regarding wages. Entry level jobs are important. Kids that graduate High School and want to go to College can use every bit of a part time, minimum wage job. It will actually help immensely and they will not have to take out Student Loans.

I don't personally feel that entry level wage jobs are designed to provide anyone with a career. They are a stepping stone to work experience which gives you that next job that does provide a career.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:30 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,556,791 times
For those who might want to read it, here's the link to the Laker News article published on November 6, 2013 about the Tampa Premium Outlets mall --> Here it comes: Outlet mall now on track to open next year

Also, the link following from the Tampa Bay Times about Saks Off 5th signing on for an anchor spot published on May 16, 2012 --> Wesley Chapel outlet mall to open in 2014 with Saks Off Fifth | Tampa Bay Times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay