Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 03:28 PM

2,539 posts, read 4,081,220 times

Advertisements

Beaches are nice but are not worth living to close to. It takes us 40 minutes most of the time. Put in a pool, you'll use it more then the beach. My wife also wanted to live by the beach, until the hurricanes hit and then talked about storm surges at high tide. Most places would be under water if a big one hit. She's happy here now and we visit the beaches. Some take advantages of rental bargins on the weekends at the beach and Disney World, which I enjoy more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2006, 03:47 PM

628 posts, read 1,831,134 times
Default Mapping software

MOBOYLE - There’s an awful lot in the bay area and its spread across 5 counties or so. First thing I would do differently (I moved from Long Island in ’01) I would buy a streets and trips type software product. They are very helpful in mapping distances and finding points of interest (restaurants schools shopping). You can plot a desired location such as a neighborhood that may interest you and then find out how far (drive time) you can go in a given time frame or draw radiuses around that point. Very helpful in visualizing where you are in relationship to where you want to be.

I currently live in NE St Petersburg and have lived in Seminole/Largo and NW Hillsborough (Westchase area). NW Hillsborough has a lot to offer good schools shopping and convenient to major roads. You can be down town Tampa or even St Pete in about 30 min or Clearwater beach in the same. Great neighborhoods [in NW Hillsborough] newer home very friendly people. Suggested communities Westchase and Waterchase and surrounding areas. It’s very hard to be specific without knowing more about your preferences and expectations regarding size, price, bedrooms, proximity to work and the like. However that would be one area I think has it all and with a wide range of sizes shapes and prices as well.

Good news for your son, with our weather here there’s plenty to do all year round and he will most likely make friends quickly

Good Luck

PS when you come to scout the areas get a portable GPS nav if you don’t already have one. Great investment for helping you get around and find things you might otherwise pass everyday and not know are there.

Old 10-18-2006, 03:50 PM

41 posts, read 144,205 times
Default Look into North Port

Consider the city of North port. Go to www.cityofnorthport.com for info.

Jim

Old 10-18-2006, 04:11 PM

6 posts, read 50,671 times
look at Lakewood Ranch. It is a large master planned community on the Sarasota/Manatee county lines. Right off the hwy for easy commutes to tampa or sarasota. 12-15 miles from the beaches.

Old 10-20-2006, 10:45 PM

75 posts, read 334,427 times
You could look into Tarpon Springs and New Port Richey. They are getting more crowded (not as bad as Clearwater), but they are still close to the beach and within an hour of Tampa. You could even go farther North to Brooksville. Maybe someone who lives closer to the area can help, but I believe the Expressway pretty much extends from Brooksville all the way down to Tampa. Probably take at least an hour to commute, but it's not too far from the coast.

Old 10-25-2006, 02:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,066 times
Default Lutz and Westchase

We are also relocating to Tampa and have done our research. The Westchase and Waterchase areas are very nice, the schools are excellent including Highschools which is practically unheard of especially where we are coming from (Miami).
The Lutz area, about 6 miles north...has beautiful homes as well with very good schools. We are currently working with a realtor that has helped a lot.

Old 10-25-2006, 04:35 PM

2,539 posts, read 4,081,220 times
Westchase is nice if you can stand the gridlock until the main drag is widdened to six lanes. It's on the drawing board for next year.

Old 10-25-2006, 05:22 PM

4 posts, read 9,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moboyle View Post
My family and I are relocating from Pennsylvania to the Tampa area. One of our biggest concerns is our 10 year old son. His education is very important to us and we are not sure what areas to be looking at. We will also be purchasing a new home and also are not sure of family style areas and costly areas. Can someone help atleast get us started in the right direction.
I suggest going there before hand...moving from the north east to you will find a very differnt living style here in FL get to know the community names thats a big plus..they hardly go by street names here it's always the community name Good luck to you... I may watch you post closely to see what others post because tampa couldbe in our future too, I have two boys to so I know your concerns!!

Old 10-25-2006, 07:47 PM

75 posts, read 334,427 times
Where in Pennsylvania are you moving from? Tampa is ok, but I can't imagine anything more beautiful than the rolling farms of Lancaster county or the forests (or lake) near Erie or the view of the Susquahanna just North of Harrisburg.

Old 10-26-2006, 09:48 AM

340 posts, read 1,575,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moboyle View Post
This will be a big adjustment for my son leaving his friends and an excellent school. We are trying to not traumatize him more by finding a home with a not so good school district and where he will be uncomfortable. I will keep looking and pray for the best. If anyone else has ideas, please forward along. Thanks
I know St. Petersburg very well since I have lived there for almost 18 years. It's close to beach about 20 min. drive. and 20 min. drive to Tampa. As to schools, local school system is improving. If your kid goes to magnet program or gifted school, he can learn something. Otherwise family has to spend much time with kids and you need to send him to Sylvan learning center for addtional work. There is a charter school on south side call Southside Fundamental Middle (www.southside-ms.pinellas.k12.fl.us) which is in process to be an IB middle school. St. Petersburg High offers IB programm which is ranked in top 50 among high school nationwide. If you want to live on water, St. Petersburg Beach or Treasure Island are good places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay