Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 04:43 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,893,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
And most jobs in Florida are part time and offer zero benefits, such as health insurance to their employees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 04:48 PM

Quote:
These people move here completely ignorant to the fact that there are millions of people just as qualified as they are already here but without the work experience.
Ummmmm.....do you know anything about hiring people at all? How on earth can someone with ZERO work experience be just as qualified as someone from out of state who HAS the required work experience? OMG!

Good luck to the lucky company in Georgia.

Old 11-12-2013, 04:51 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,333,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Tell me genius: Why do people who come here continually get decent paying jobs?

Give me some facts to back up your disagreement with ANY of my statements.

There is no denial of anything. The facts are the facts.
Here is some reading on the rate of uninsured workers in Florida. This is what you get when all you have to offer is part time restaurant work.

Report: States with the worst health coverage

And the facts are what they are! The backbone of Florida's economy is tourism! Get that through your head! You are a person who moved here during better times. You are now old, and this state relies on service jobs serving people just like you to provide mediocre work to its population.

Your meaning to tell me that Spring Hill has quality jobs? That Pinellas county to the south of you has quality jobs? Hah! The young people live to serve the old people. That is the life that most Floridians have to look forward to. Even if they get a job the few companies that exist here would rather look abroad than train a local.

Old 11-12-2013, 04:53 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,333,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
Ummmmm.....do you know anything about hiring people at all? How on earth can someone with ZERO work experience be just as qualified as someone from out of state who HAS the required work experience? OMG!

Good luck to the lucky company in Georgia.
In Florida, even entry level jobs want people with experience. I only got the job I did because I had the right connections. All the other people considered for my job needed experience in the same field. They didn't even need a college degree (which I have. And I know you don't). The employer wouldn't even consider an applicant unless they had relevant experience even though the only things needed to perform this job were eyes, ears, and fingers.

Old 11-12-2013, 05:01 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,119,427 times
So I guess the people of Georgia should be upset that an out-of-towner got a job when so many of their people are unemployed.

Got some facts to back up your allegation that MOST jobs in FL are part time with no benefits??

Sounds like your experience is in the fast food industry.

Quote:
I have a job lined up in Georiga already smart one. I will begin in January.

And most jobs in Florida are part time and offer zero benefits, such as health insurance to their employees. Florida has low unemployment when the economy is good because there are plenty of bar, restaurant jobs to go around. That is all this state has to look forward to.

Old 11-12-2013, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
So I guess the people of Georgia should be upset that an out-of-towner got a job when so many of their people are unemployed.
Oh, wait now. Isn't it different if it is not Florida? LOL!

Old 11-12-2013, 05:50 PM

440 posts, read 595,286 times
Wow, the direction this thread has turned out to be. Listen, i was brought into this position because the IT department has a mission of what they want and is going through a major revamping very similar to what mine was when i got hired at my current job in Ohio. I was able to contribute and improve my department and i have the proven EXPERIENCE they are looking for to help with that. Not something that a recent college graduate will know how to do especially under the constant pressure we have to work with.
Like i mentioned previously, he interviewed many other local candidates, but they just didn't make the cut, and it has nothing to do with having to train them, because i will still need to be trained coming into a completely new environment.
If anything, i hope to give other professionals looking to come to Tampa (or really anywhere in the U.S), looking to get the better paying job some optimism that there are good jobs out there, you just have to market yourself above the others. I busted my butt to get where i'm at and now its paying off. So is Florida going to be the answer? Who knows, but i won't know until i take that chance to find out because its certainly not here in Ohio.

Old 11-12-2013, 06:11 PM

5,606 posts, read 3,508,398 times
Quote:
I bet the hiring manager did say that. The bottom line is that hiring managers are just too lazy to train new talent. With all the qualified people that want to move to Florida from the North there is an endless supply of labor from which they can choose from.

Congrats on your job. But don't let it fool you that Florida has a good economy. It doesn't. And you are now only part of the problem with Florida's job market. That companies would rather look abroad than train a new college grad.

But the company didn't look " abroad. " They gave the job to an American who they thought was the best candidate for the job.
It's this sort of narrow-minded parochialism among Floridians who expect a job by right which forces companies to look for the brightest and best elsewhere.
This state is made up of people who moved here to forge a better life for themselves and it's what has helped Florida thrive both historically and today.
Fortunately the OP already appears to have a good eye to spot the haters before he even gets here.

Old 11-12-2013, 06:14 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,119,427 times
My sentiments exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
But the company didn't look " abroad. " They gave the job to an American who they thought was the best candidate for the job.
It's this sort of narrow-minded parochialism among Floridians who expect a job by right which forces companies to look for the brightest and best elsewhere.
This state is made up of people who moved here to forge a better life for themselves and it's what has helped Florida thrive both historically and today.
Fortunately the OP already appears to have a good eye to spot the haters before he even gets here.

Old 11-12-2013, 06:26 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,668,915 times
Welcome! You are going to love it here. It's just such a nice change from Ohio weather and there are hardly any gray days!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay