Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 06:52 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,847,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Average Joe doesn't stand a chance in politics. You need to be shifty, money hungry, power hungry and not have a conscience to succeed in politics.
Unfortunately, this is true.

Old 11-19-2013, 06:57 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,133,860 times
Quote from the USA Today story:

"I'm profoundly sorry to let down my family, particularly my wife and son, and the people of Southwest Florida," Radel said in a statement released Tuesday. "I struggle with the disease of alcoholism, and this led to an extremely irresponsible choice. As the father of a young son and a husband to a loving wife, I need to get help so I can be a better man for both of them."

There you have it, from the horse's mouth. He struggles with the disease of alcoholism, and that led to an irresponsible choice.

Yes, Radel, do get help. And do us a favor. Step down. Now. And pray you never, ever get service from a doctor or auto mechanic equivalent to the service you've rendered your constituents.

Old 11-19-2013, 10:13 PM

35,424 posts, read 20,786,793 times
What is this crapola?? "I take full resposibility "blah,blah, blah, --just use the same speech from the Mayor in Toronto and a few more idiots on crack. I personaly do not want.. */ mess=== ups ruling over my life! We are held to a higher standard than our superiors... how can anyone follow?? Do as you are told not as I do?? (&**^*&^%&$%$^(&*()*&_*&)- sickening. and we all just sit and say Ok... send him to rehab... no problema

Old 11-20-2013, 12:31 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,080,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
No, it harms us also, as citizens of the state and of the country. In fact I just recently read a very interesting opinion piece the theme of which was that basically, we are governed by a bunch of addled substance abusers, hence the reason for absurd legislation, insane decisions, systems that don't work, fraud, etc. The guy who wrote it was an old school technologist who worked on credit card fraud detection systems on which the current technology is based. He said it's well documented that drugs fueled much of the financial fraud of recent years, mainly cocaine. And he surmised that the same problems exist in our government at various levels. Radel was busted with cocaine in Washington, DC, so it makes perfect sense to me. He just got caught.

But it's not just cocaine. For example, you just know that many of the members of Congress have some serious problems like alchoholism, painkiller addiction, or have to be on some kind of psychiatric medicine to function. Anyone ever see Max Baucus's little performance when the ACA was passed? Yeah, they said he was just tired and had a little mini-stroke or something. BS to that. Look at McCain, it's not that I don't have some sympathy for him, but I imagine he's got to be on some heavy duty stuff to ward off the physical pain. And then there's a prominent member of the House who does a great imitation of a serious alchoholic. The problem is on both sides of the aisle. Way too many of these boobs look, act and sound like stark raving lunatics to me and they oughtn't to be in government in any way, shape or form. As a citizen, it's like being in a car with a drunk driver and you can't stop him.

I get that people have problems, but if so, they need rest and re-hab, not a place in government. Because their actions affect our lives. Members of government should be regularly drug tested and removed from office or job if they test positive. That includes alcohol, painkillers, psychiatric medication, etc. People who are always in an altered state of consciousness don't make good decisions and can't be effective at their jobs, and even cause accidents and harm to others.

There shouldn't be any question about this Radel guy. He should be gone, the sooner the better, and barred from any future government work. Why? Because people like him can and do sell out the citizens they're supposed to serve for a few lines of coke supplied by a lobbyist.
Thats a lot of stretching and dubious personal opinion presented to look like fact, many people in their personal lives drink alcohol or partake of recreational drugs but its a stretch to automatically draw the conclusion that we are governed by a bunch of addled substance abusers and legislation you dont agree with is evidently the result of people on drugs.., This Florida politician who did some coke in no way represents Florida,he did some drug end of story..
AS for average Joes not getting much chance to become politicians? politics certainly seems to be a trend of favoring the wealthy, however there are exceptions, current President seems to be one of them as his bio reads poor black kid from broken home with no special help through life a veritable community organizer gets to become 2X President of the USA,

Last edited by jambo101; 11-20-2013 at 12:41 AM..

Old 11-20-2013, 05:24 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,847,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
politics certainly seems to be a trend of favoring the wealthy, however there are exceptions, current President seems to be one of them as his bio reads poor black kid from broken home with no special help through life a veritable community organizer gets to become 2X President of the USA,
Except he wasn't poor, he did receive special help and he did use cocaine. Hence the comment that the newest admitted cocaine user is now qualified to be President.

Old 11-20-2013, 05:35 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,586,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Average Joe doesn't stand a chance in politics. You need to be shifty, money hungry, power hungry and not have a conscience to succeed in politics.
Yeah! & Which should not be the case IMO.

Old 11-20-2013, 05:44 AM

5,687 posts, read 7,133,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Thats a lot of stretching and dubious personal opinion presented to look like fact, many people in their personal lives drink alcohol or partake of recreational drugs but its a stretch to automatically draw the conclusion that we are governed by a bunch of addled substance abusers and legislation you dont agree with is evidently the result of people on drugs.., This Florida politician who did some coke in no way represents Florida,he did some drug end of story..
AS for average Joes not getting much chance to become politicians? politics certainly seems to be a trend of favoring the wealthy, however there are exceptions, current President seems to be one of them as his bio reads poor black kid from broken home with no special help through life a veritable community organizer gets to become 2X President of the USA,
Well, then, let's get the drug and alchohol testing in place and we'll see, eh? And why not? Most of us have to undergo drug testing to get a job. It should be even more important in the public sector.

And yes, the Florida politician was elected to REPRESENT his Floridian constituents. That's why he's called a REPRESENTATIVE, and he did a crappy job as a result of his drug and alcohol use, so he needs to go. Something wrong with that guy. Do a little research. His problems go even deeper than that. You may wish to do some research and see one of the ventures from which he made money.

Old 11-20-2013, 06:14 AM

693 posts, read 1,133,667 times
Gone are the days of role models in our elected public officials (or anyone for that matter).

Time to seperate public vs. private life. If the politician is successful on the job, I can care less what he does on his own time. In the very public case of Mayor Ford, he is a trainwreck but he has done tremendous good for the economy of Toronto.

Personally, I would rather have a results oriented politician who was a trainwreck in their personal life then a squeaky clean goodie two shoes who just perpetuates more dysfunction and inaction.

Old 11-20-2013, 06:21 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,586,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavariantransplant View Post
Gone are the days of role models in our elected public officials (or anyone for that matter).

Time to seperate public vs. private life. If the politician is successful on the job, I can care less what he does on his own time. In the very public case of Mayor Ford, he is a trainwreck but he has done tremendous good for the economy of Toronto.

Personally, I would rather have a results oriented politician who was a trainwreck in their personal life then a squeaky clean goodie two shoes who just perpetuates more dysfunction and inaction.
I mean yeah you're right...it is quite hypocritical to expect that those elected are or should be some saints considering the kind of money they roll in and the kind of extravagances they get!

But this separation should done everywhere not just in politics. "A work place" is NOT where you wash your dirty laundry from home! JMO.

Old 11-20-2013, 06:53 AM

35,424 posts, read 20,786,793 times
I guess am old school, and I was taught -esponsibility-of self- I would never date a married man, a priest nor ever even think of anyone underage and of course being over 18--- certain things I would exclude myself from because of morality and the possible harm it might do others. I am as imperfect as they come. As many here know, I can't even spell! but I guess my caring for others makes a difference what I will subject them to. These folks are extremely selfish, self centered, lying, immoral folks whose #1 priority is themselves, this is how they got in that pickel jar. There are many illnesses, and drugs, alcohol and power trippers -are all in denial, they do not seek medical help-thus creating this embarrasing situation- I feel for their children. Send them to rehab... we are a very understanding and accepting society, and oh well- they like the rest of us, and point fingers politcally. We will create our own zombies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay