Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 06:11 AM

88 posts, read 201,921 times

Advertisements

I apologize if these questions are answered somewhere in the threads. I tried searching and was not coming up with much.

We are considering a move to Tampa Bay Area. We need to be within a 30 mile radius of the airport, a place with excellent schools and low crime. Would love to be closer to the water, but not a necessity. Family friendly area would be preferred and up to 325,000 on a house. I am a little concerned about sinkholes, so input on that would be great.

We are coming from Atlanta area (Cobb County). If anyone has feedback on their experiences with schools in GA vs. schools in FL (or general GA vs FL) I would welcome it!

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2013, 06:30 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Not to sound like a broken record but I would recommend Oldsmar/East Lake in Northern Pinellas County. It features the top-ranked schools in the Tampa Bay area (East Lake HS district), has very low crime, is family-friendly and offer lots of youth recreational opportunity, a nice choice of homes within your price range and is 20 miles from Tampa International. There are no reported incident so sinkholes in this area either (check out the Sinkhole Map below, East Lake is the entire vertical cream-colored section north of Oldsmar on the map).

Sinkholes of Pinellas County, Florida , 2008

Old 12-08-2013, 06:42 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,893,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Not to sound like a broken record but I would recommend Oldsmar/East Lake in Northern Pinellas County. It features the top-ranked schools in the Tampa Bay area (East Lake HS district), has very low crime, is family-friendly and offer lots of youth recreational opportunity, a nice choice of homes within your price range and is 20 miles from Tampa International. There are no reported incident so sinkholes in this area either (check out the Sinkhole Map below, East Lake is the entire vertical cream-colored section north of Oldsmar on the map).

Sinkholes of Pinellas County, Florida , 2008
I agree with this!

Old 12-08-2013, 07:04 AM

Thank you! Is Whole Foods or Fresh market anywhere near there?

Old 12-08-2013, 08:37 AM

What are the kids like in the schools there? It seems to be a wealthy area (nothing wrong with that), but do the kids there have a sense of entitlement, or any snob factor going on? I grew up in a wealthy area in TX and this was my experience, I want to make sure it's not my kids!!

Old 12-08-2013, 08:40 AM

676 posts, read 1,271,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miz77 View Post
I apologize if these questions are answered somewhere in the threads. I tried searching and was not coming up with much.

We are considering a move to Tampa Bay Area. We need to be within a 30 mile radius of the airport, a place with excellent schools and low crime. Would love to be closer to the water, but not a necessity. Family friendly area would be preferred and up to 325,000 on a house. I am a little concerned about sinkholes, so input on that would be great.

We are coming from Atlanta area (Cobb County). If anyone has feedback on their experiences with schools in GA vs. schools in FL (or general GA vs FL) I would welcome it!

Thanks!!
We are also moving from Cobb County (Powder Springs). We are closing on our new house in Mirabay (close to the water but not right on Tampa Bay) this week. We are about 28 miles from TPA and about 32 miles from SRQ. If I can answer any questions, PM me.

Old 12-08-2013, 09:17 AM

Thank you! I sent you a private message, but I think I clicked send email instead of direct mail. Hopefully it finds it's way to you!

Old 12-08-2013, 09:17 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,800,047 times
Northern Pinellas (Safety Harbor, Oldsmar, Palm Harbor) would be your best bet. I am a long-term resident of the Bay Area, and these areas will give you a nice home for your price range in an area with good schools. A Whole Foods is actually being built right in Countryside Mall, the shopping mall that services Northern Pinellas.

My family and I live in Safety Harbor and we love it here. It is a very family-friendly community right on Tampa Bay and is extremely walkable. It's also quite safe.

Good luck!

Old 12-08-2013, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miz77 View Post
Thank you! I sent you a private message, but I think I clicked send email instead of direct mail. Hopefully it finds it's way to you!
I got it and replied. I gave you my phone number thinking I might be able to offer something that would help you.

Old 12-08-2013, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridagirl777 View Post
Northern Pinellas (Safety Harbor, Oldsmar, Palm Harbor) would be your best bet. I am a long-term resident of the Bay Area, and these areas will give you a nice home for your price range in an area with good schools. A Whole Foods is actually being built right in Countryside Mall, the shopping mall that services Northern Pinellas.

My family and I live in Safety Harbor and we love it here. It is a very family-friendly community right on Tampa Bay and is extremely walkable. It's also quite safe.

Good luck!
Sounds really nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay