U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 06:59 AM

26,796 posts, read 41,500,239 times

Advertisements

Target: 40M accounts may be involved in breach

I may have been one of them since last week I got a message from Amazon to thank me for buying two gift cards for XBOX. One for $ 10.- and one for $ 25.-.

I called Amazon and they credited my account back right away. I did NOT click on the link in the email to thank me for the purchase but went to the amazon website by inputting their web address. That may have saved me from more issues.

The next day I noticed a $ 10.- purchase at Zappos.com and I maybe one of the few people who had no clue what Zappos was but now I do. I called BoA and they credited it back right away and closed my credit card and the next day I had a new card.

I had no clue how this could have happened but you never know since in a restaurant you have to give your card and the server can use a skimmer to skim your card without your knowledge as we have read about or at gas stations or ATM's.

With the news this morning I can only imagine it must have something to do with Target since we have been at Target 3 x after Black Friday and the issues happened last week.

According to BoA the scammers start out with small amounts and if that goes well they will go for the large amounts, so by checking my online account almost daily I may have saved myself from more issues even though my account is insured.

Btw I recently saw a program how to save yourself from your bank account being hacked and emptied out overnight and they stated not to use a phone to check your account or laptop and if possible have a separate comp. that you don't use for emails, web, etc. just for banking only and after seeing that program we decided to buy a cheaper tablet just for banking...better save than sorry.

Sadly the world has come to entitlement people who wants to live easy with taking from others and making that their life goal.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2013, 07:05 AM

27,798 posts, read 27,957,188 times
Haven't been to a Target for some time.

Hate to hear about this sort of stuff - I'm always using the credit card everywhere - but keep a close eye on the financial websites for malicious chargers.

Old 12-19-2013, 11:25 AM

22,455 posts, read 33,311,137 times
I called my bank (Suntrust) since I had been in a Target a few times since Black Friday, and they advised me to delete my old debit card and have a new one reissued. A bit of a hassle but rather that than something worse.

Old 12-19-2013, 12:01 PM

4,586 posts, read 4,896,908 times
I saw this too; been thee during that period! Now keeping eye on the acct, but I'm ready to cancel my card!

Unreal tho....

Old 12-19-2013, 07:36 PM

Keep track on small amounts and be aware of your emails ....in my case I got 3 small amounts and 2 emails and they were from Amazon and than 1 small amount the next day from Zappos.com...and I think if I had clicked on the link they would have hacked my comp.

This week I met with two clients and the daughter stated she got an email from Amazon and the dad took a look and stated it was absolutely fake...after my story they would check their account but at that time I had no clue it had happened at target.

In the past I had compromised cards but only knew about due to boa sending me a new card and myself being annoyed having to change automatic payments but I was never informed which stores it had happened at.

I do remember that one time the Target card reader was very weird positioned and I never saw it like that...now I wonder if that had anything to do with it..even the pen to sign was looking different.

Old 12-20-2013, 07:22 AM

426 posts, read 402,969 times
I had one charge to Target during that period and just to be safe, I'm requesting a new card with new number. The last time my Visa card got hit, someone withdrew $200 from Western Union from another state and it was a hassle to get it cleared - they reversed the charge but you had to fill out all this paperwork. Not worth monitoring the account waiting to get hit or not.

Old 12-20-2013, 07:28 AM

3,313 posts, read 4,594,831 times
bentlebee, so the emails you've got were not from Amazon, right? The charges you saw on your account were related to emails you received? I am just trying to figure out how scammers knew your email address.
I didn't have any charges like that, but I received few fake amazon emails within last couple weeks.

Old 12-20-2013, 07:29 AM

3,313 posts, read 4,594,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiepoke View Post
I had one charge to Target during that period and just to be safe, I'm requesting a new card with new number. The last time my Visa card got hit, someone withdrew $200 from Western Union from another state and it was a hassle to get it cleared - they reversed the charge but you had to fill out all this paperwork. Not worth monitoring the account waiting to get hit or not.
Do you know if new card will do anything to your credit score?

Old 12-20-2013, 07:35 AM

426 posts, read 402,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
Do you know if new card will do anything to your credit score?
It shouldn't. All they do is disable the existing card and send you a new card with new numbers, still the same account - pretty much as if you lost the card. Just the minor hassle in that you'll be without a usable card til the new card arrives in a few days (bigger hassle if you only have one card and it's Xmas shopping season).

Old 12-20-2013, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
bentlebee, so the emails you've got were not from Amazon, right? The charges you saw on your account were related to emails you received? I am just trying to figure out how scammers knew your email address.
I didn't have any charges like that, but I received few fake amazon emails within last couple weeks.
I'm not 100% sure if the Amazon emails were fake or not but they looked different but at the same time my Amazon account was indeed charged for 2 small amounts for both XBOX gift cards. I never (neither anybody in my household) bought any Amazon gift cards and/or XBOX gift cards.

Than I checked my bank statement and it did show up as pending on my credit card.

The next morning there was a $ 10.- pending on my BoA account from Zappos.com and I never knew until I called BoA, what Zappos was.

I never click on links in any email unless I know who the sender is and for emails from any vendor or store I usually go to their website.

My mail is send to a P.O. Box, I never access my online banking from my phone, etc...but something can still happen.

Skimming was for years going on in Europe at gas stations and ATM's and most pin code equipment in Europe has a cover on it so from above it is hard to see what numbers you push.

Keep in mind that many stores have cameras located near the registers so the security can check on customers but also on fraudulent cashiers but at the same time they can see which buttons you push for a debit card...if that machine has a skimmer placed in it than they have a copy of your card as well as your pin code.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or