Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 04:01 PM

9 posts, read 59,893 times

Advertisements

Well my two options for vacation this christmas is either Orlando Florida or the St. Petersburg/Tampa/Clearwater area. I've been to Orlando a couple of times, Universal Studios and Disney World but I've never been to Tampa Bay. I'm interested in going to Tampa and was wondering if it was as nice or nicer than Orlando. How are the beaches compared to the Orlando/Daytona Beach area. And what else is there to do in Tampa. Which one should I go to?

I'm thinking of traveling from here (Chicago) by car to that area but I'm looking for a hotel to stay in. If Im going to stay in that area, where is the most convenient place to stay in a hotel and where could I find hotels for the best price available?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2007, 04:57 PM

1,824 posts, read 8,376,422 times
You may get more advice on Tripadvisor.com, but I may suggest Tampa, as you have already been to Orlando a few times.

A central destination would be downtown Tampa, but you are about 45 minutes from the Gulf beaches which are BEAUTIFUL, water is calmer than the ocean, sand is more powdery than the east coast. If you plan on spending more time at the beach, you may want to consider staying on the beach(Pass-a-Grille is my favorite, very laid back).

A few things to do:
Busch Gardens, Adventure Island Water Park, Lowry Park Zoo, Florida Aquarium, Ybor City Museum and Tours, Museum of Science and Industry/IMAX,Canoe Escape down the Hillsborough River, Big Cat Rescue, Tampa Theater tour, Fort DeSoto Park , a short 1 hour drive to Anna Maria Island, Selby Botanical Gardens in Sarasota, Florida Heritage Trail and Botanical Gardens in Largo, Museums(Tampa-Art, History, HB Plant, Ybor; and St. Pete - Art, International, Dali, Holocaust, History), Plays and Theater(Performing Arts Center, Independent theaters like Gorilla and MAD Theaters; a sports event depending when your here(Bucs or USF football, Lightning Hockey, Rays baseball, Storm Arena Football, USF basketball), a concert or festival depending when you are here, nightlife of restaurants and/or bars in downtown St. Pete, SOHO/Hyde Park Tampa, Channelside Tampa, and Ybor City Tampa, Shopping at International Plaza.

There is plenty more...but there's a start.

Old 11-26-2007, 05:31 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,244,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RashadzMcCantz View Post
Well my two options for vacation this christmas is either Orlando Florida or the St. Petersburg/Tampa/Clearwater area. I've been to Orlando a couple of times, Universal Studios and Disney World but I've never been to Tampa Bay. I'm interested in going to Tampa and was wondering if it was as nice or nicer than Orlando. How are the beaches compared to the Orlando/Daytona Beach area. And what else is there to do in Tampa. Which one should I go to?

I'm thinking of traveling from here (Chicago) by car to that area but I'm looking for a hotel to stay in. If Im going to stay in that area, where is the most convenient place to stay in a hotel and where could I find hotels for the best price available?
Just FYI, I recently moved from Chicago to Tampa Bay. My car ride took me about 20 hours..... If you look at cheaper airlines (try usa3000, they fly from st. petersburg and orlando to chicago), you can probably find a ticket for under $150. I just flew that trip for $120, which is much cheaper than gas.
Also, Tampa and Orlando are only about 1.5 hours apart. There isn't any reason that you couldn't fly into one and drive to the other for the day!

Old 11-26-2007, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiegirl_98 View Post
Just FYI, I recently moved from Chicago to Tampa Bay. My car ride took me about 20 hours..... If you look at cheaper airlines (try usa3000, they fly from st. petersburg and orlando to chicago), you can probably find a ticket for under $150. I just flew that trip for $120, which is much cheaper than gas.
Also, Tampa and Orlando are only about 1.5 hours apart. There isn't any reason that you couldn't fly into one and drive to the other for the day!
Problem with that is that I want to drive so I can stop in the panhandle and visit Destin beach and maybe a couple of more beaches before I make my way down south.

Old 11-26-2007, 09:17 PM

Forgot to add, anywhere in the Tampa area we can see alligators? In Busch Gardens, will I be able to get close to animals and apart from the rides, what is the whole fuss about?

Do you get to get close to any wildlife? Is it packed? Are there any water rides or just roller coasters? Please more info...

Old 11-27-2007, 06:07 AM

1,824 posts, read 8,376,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RashadzMcCantz View Post
Forgot to add, anywhere in the Tampa area we can see alligators? In Busch Gardens, will I be able to get close to animals and apart from the rides, what is the whole fuss about?

Do you get to get close to any wildlife? Is it packed? Are there any water rides or just roller coasters? Please more info...
Check out the Busch Gardens website for lots of info...
there are water rides, and many more other than the famous roller coasters. A nice train ride throughout the park goes through the african safari area. You can get up close with many of the animal exhibits, you can even feed some of them and on an extra fee tour, they take you out in very small groups to the african plains to get VERY close to the animals. Depending when you go will determine crowds, you con contact them for the dates you are going and they will let you know from attendance records which may be the best day.

You can see lots of gators on the rivers, ponds and lakes throughout Tampa. Canoe Escape down the rivers, also Lowry Park Zoo and Busch Gardens have gator exhibits.

Old 11-27-2007, 08:45 AM

69 posts, read 313,069 times
I am from about 1.5 hours away from Chicago and my family and I have always driven down to Florida, and it takes about 20-22 hours, depending on traffic and how many stops you take. I grew up going to Daytona Beach every year (had a condo right on the beach) and this year I drove down to Clearwater instead to visit my best friend and I really enjoyed that area as well. I've stayed at the Belleview Biltmore which has it's own private beach with a cabanna boy, however you have to take a shuttle bus to get to the beach. It was a very neat hotel, but the only thing was that our bathroom door was broken and wouldn't close, but we didn't care to complain. haha I'm sure you'll have a great time, no matter where you decide to stay! I love it in the Clearwater area and I'm moving down there in exaclty 2 months.

Old 11-27-2007, 09:28 AM

10 posts, read 32,345 times
Tampaguy knows all. I live in Denver currently and my girlfriend and I are making the big move to Tampa as we love it there. He is right, Busch Gardens is very cool. I was there just last summer and loved how close you get to the wildlife and how they have many cool rides. There is the Marriot Downtown that can be a little expensive but its very nice and its central to everything. Its the big hotel right off the pier side.
Here is a link if you didnt know, that has some pictures of Tampa and downtown Tampa.
Tampa, Florida (FL) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders

Old 11-28-2007, 10:14 AM

367 posts, read 1,686,988 times
you also might find that traditionally business hotels are quieter over the holiday, whereas beach locations will be busy

Old 11-28-2007, 01:43 PM

29 posts, read 161,354 times
We have driven from Chicago twice to Florida, once right after 911 and then in March for Spring Break. Two adults, four kids. We wanted to visit Jacksonville, Orlando and Ocala, so driving was our best bet.

I highly recommend the Tradewinds in St. Pete Beach. Check out trip advisor for reviews. It is an awesome location. I have stayed there twice and definately intend on going back.

have fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay