U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 02:47 PM

2 posts, read 2,032 times

Advertisements

there are no breed restrictions in Tampa so your dogs are fine unless you move to dade county (and not for nothing thats a crappy reason to abandon 2 dogs yo have rescued) 1,000 a month in florida could be hard for a 3 bedroom i moved here from NY (in high school) and the prices have gone threw the roof. schools arent that fantastic here either so look into charter schools here too ( just wait til your 3rd graded is stressed to the max over fcat and if they fail it they are held back and then if they dont pass the 10th grade fcat they dont get a high school diploma). i would research there is more to florida then blue skys and beaches my friends!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 02:54 PM

5,686 posts, read 5,701,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzmitch View Post
Thank you all for your tips. I hate to say that living in NC we still have to worry about the race issue.
As for the weather. I spent half my life in PA and half my life between Hilton Head SC and Charlotte. The temps are getting colder and colder. I love the heat, I feel I am a much nicer person to be around when there is nice weather, sunshine.
I would say the Tampa Bay area is the best place in all of Florida for mixed race families, IMO. It's just not an issue here.

Old 01-03-2014, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsuremommy View Post
there are no breed restrictions in Tampa so your dogs are fine unless you move to dade county (and not for nothing thats a crappy reason to abandon 2 dogs yo have rescued) 1,000 a month in florida could be hard for a 3 bedroom i moved here from NY (in high school) and the prices have gone threw the roof. schools arent that fantastic here either so look into charter schools here too ( just wait til your 3rd graded is stressed to the max over fcat and if they fail it they are held back and then if they dont pass the 10th grade fcat they dont get a high school diploma). i would research there is more to florida then blue skys and beaches my friends!
The OP didn't say they were going to abandon the dogs, just that they might have to get rid of them, which, although it sounds harsh, could mean giving them to another, loving family. Sometimes it's hard to move with pets if you don't have a lot of money.

Old 01-03-2014, 03:21 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,009,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
The OP didn't say they were going to abandon the dogs, just that they might have to get rid of them, which, although it sounds harsh, could mean giving them to another, loving family. Sometimes it's hard to move with pets if you don't have a lot of money.
This is why people should not get pets unless they can afford them and have the time to invest to take care of them. The OP said she would "probably have to get rid of them" like they're disposable. These two dogs are already rescued and now they will either be re-homed or put in a shelter and possibly split up.

Old 01-03-2014, 03:34 PM

3,111 posts, read 5,405,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
This is why people should not get pets unless they can afford them and have the time to invest to take care of them. The OP said she would "probably have to get rid of them" like they're disposable. These two dogs are already rescued and now they will either be re-homed or put in a shelter and possibly split up.
I agree 100%. My wife goes before the dog, and she knows it.

The other replies in regards to the rent $$ are dead-on.

Old 01-03-2014, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Y'know, people's circumstances change. Now more than ever. How do you know what the OP has or hasn't been through?

OP, one thing I forgot to mention, we have some very, very special folks here in the Tampa Bay area who have never, EVER made an error in judgement in their ENTIRE freakin' lives and have never fallen on hard times and how I ever got lucky enough to live among them, I'll never know. You'll know who they are because they tend to have very long index fingers they like to wag at those less fortunate in judgement and finance.

Old 01-03-2014, 03:58 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,009,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Y'know, people's circumstances change. Now more than ever. How do you know what the OP has or hasn't been through?

OP, one thing I forgot to mention, we have some very, very special folks here in the Tampa Bay area who have never, EVER made an error in judgement in their ENTIRE freakin' lives and have never fallen on hard times and how I ever got lucky enough to live among them, I'll never know. You'll know who they are because they tend to have very long index fingers they like to wag at those less fortunate in judgement and finance.
Did you bother to read the thread? OP said she "can't do the cold anymore" and that she's finishing school this summer. There aren't any special circumstances where she has to move here.

It seems you're the one jumping to conclusions.

Old 01-03-2014, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Did you bother to read the thread? OP said she "can't do the cold anymore" and that she's finishing school this summer. There aren't any special circumstances where she has to move here.
Well, I should think you'd be happy someone's finishing school, that's a good thing. Who are you to say why they should or shouldn't move here? And draw that danged index finger back, it's starting to poke me in the butt.

Old 01-03-2014, 04:09 PM

17,804 posts, read 22,200,388 times
Quote:

There is also no mention of employment. And if the OP thinks NC schools are bad and has her kids in charter schools there, wait till she see the schools in FL.

Based on the budget for housing she can eliminate most of the areas she listed in regards to living.

When people have children involved they have to think about what is best for the kids, to have children in charter schools and to place them in public schools in a state not known for education is a disservice to the kids.

The kids have to come first.

It will be in the mid 50s in Charlotte by Feb, and into the mid 60s by March, hardly what you would call freezing.

Old 01-03-2014, 04:12 PM

293 posts, read 468,236 times
Man I hear the can't take the cold part. I live in Mass and the temps are -20 with the wind chill YIKES I am acutally still in the process from last year of looking to relocate. Prolly thinking of making Dunedin the place we go. We have a small family of 4, me, my husband, and our 2 small children 4 &7. We wanted Palm Harbor but that looks to be a bit on the expensive side so we are going with dunedin because it is a little cheaper and has a lot of the stuff we are looking for. Not the BEST schools but they didn't look like the worst either so we figured it sounds good to us. I just need a different climate, my mind body and soul can't take it here anymore..depressing and grey and like another poster said with next to no money I'd rather be poor in the sun than poor in the cold! And we live in a small fixer upper house making about $70k a year and still live week to week with oil bills, car troubles (due to NE weather, pot holes, salt on the roads corroding our cars-my car has to have the engine cradle replaced due to rust from salt!! It has sat since April because we can't afford the extra $3500. to fix it!! And I pay $320 a month for the car I can't drive!!) just everything. Unless you hate the heat or love the snow living up here is for the birds!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay