U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-03-2014, 04:13 PM
 
Location: Wake County, NC
2,983 posts, read 4,016,922 times
Reputation: 3510

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Well, I should think you'd be happy someone's finishing school, that's a good thing. Who are you to say why they should or shouldn't move here? And draw that danged index finger back, it's starting to poke me in the butt.
Why would I have a problem with someone finishing school?

They are free to move wherever they like, but they should put more thought into their pet situation before they just "get rid of them". I'm too cold in Charlotte, NC(LOL) is kinda a lame excuse to dump two dogs.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-03-2014, 04:15 PM
 
5,686 posts, read 5,721,457 times
Reputation: 4261
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
There is also no mention of employment. And if the OP thinks NC schools are bad and has her kids in charter schools there, wait till she see the schools in FL.

Based on the budget for housing she can eliminate most of the areas she listed in regards to living.

When people have children involved they have to think about what is best for the kids, to have children in charter schools and to place them in public schools in a state not known for education is a disservice to the kids.

The kids have to come first.

It will be in the mid 50s in Charlotte by Feb, and into the mid 60s by March, hardly what you would call freezing.
Dang right the kids come first and the OP's main concern is the fact that the family is mixed race and might be better situated here than in Charlotte.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2014, 04:26 PM
 
5,686 posts, read 5,721,457 times
Reputation: 4261
So anyway, OP, bottom line, no one cares about mixed race here, that is the LEAST of your worries. Just don't say anything about dogs or weather. Strictly verboten.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2014, 04:36 PM
 
Location: Wake County, NC
2,983 posts, read 4,016,922 times
Reputation: 3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
So anyway, OP, bottom line, no one cares about mixed race here, that is the LEAST of your worries. Just don't say anything about dogs or weather. Strictly verboten.
The OP didn't mention what types of problems she was encountering because of her mixed race relationship in Charlotte. Anyway, I'm not sure what would be different in Tampa compared to Charlotte. Both areas have a large amount of transplants and they both have a large amount of rednecks. In fact, Tampa Bay might be worse.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2014, 04:37 PM
 
Location: Spring Hill Florida
12,135 posts, read 14,067,090 times
Reputation: 6028
Its time to update your FL school info.... Probably most other data you rely on.

"Florida's education system is No. 5 in the country, according to the latest annual "Quality Counts" report, released this morning by Education Week, the newspaper of record for American education news Yes, you read that right: No. 5 in the country. In fact, it's up from No. 8 last year and No. 11 the year before. And now in the same rarified air as school systems in Maryland, New York, Massachusetts and Virginia."
Florida schools ranked No. 5 in U.S., according to Education Week | Tampa Bay Times


"TALLAHASSEE — Florida's public schools have returned to the top 10 in a national ranking at sixth place due to high marks for coordinating kindergarten through 12th grade education with early learning, post-secondary education and the state's workforce.
Education Week on Thursday gave Florida an A for transitions and alignment, one of six categories that make up the publication's annual "Quality Counts" rankings for the 50 states and District of Columbia.?"


Florida schools 6th in Education Week rankings - Government - The News Herald


8.0% (Oct 2013)
North Carolina, Unemployment rate


6.7% (Oct 2013)
Florida, Unemployment rate



$50K Salary in Charlotte







Comparable salary in
Tampa, FL
$48,719




Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
There is also no mention of employment. And if the OP thinks NC schools are bad and has her kids in charter schools there, wait till she see the schools in FL.

Based on the budget for housing she can eliminate most of the areas she listed in regards to living.

When people have children involved they have to think about what is best for the kids, to have children in charter schools and to place them in public schools in a state not known for education is a disservice to the kids.

The kids have to come first.

It will be in the mid 50s in Charlotte by Feb, and into the mid 60s by March, hardly what you would call freezing.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2014, 04:41 PM
 
Location: Massachusetts
293 posts, read 469,224 times
Reputation: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Its time to update your FL school info.... Probably most other data you rely on.

"Florida's education system is No. 5 in the country, according to the latest annual "Quality Counts" report, released this morning by Education Week, the newspaper of record for American education news Yes, you read that right: No. 5 in the country. In fact, it's up from No. 8 last year and No. 11 the year before. And now in the same rarified air as school systems in Maryland, New York, Massachusetts and Virginia."
Florida schools ranked No. 5 in U.S., according to Education Week | Tampa Bay Times


"TALLAHASSEE — Florida's public schools have returned to the top 10 in a national ranking at sixth place due to high marks for coordinating kindergarten through 12th grade education with early learning, post-secondary education and the state's workforce.
Education Week on Thursday gave Florida an A for transitions and alignment, one of six categories that make up the publication's annual "Quality Counts" rankings for the 50 states and District of Columbia.?"


Florida schools 6th in Education Week rankings - Government - The News Herald


8.0% (Oct 2013)
North Carolina, Unemployment rate


6.7% (Oct 2013)
Florida, Unemployment rate



$50K Salary in Charlotte







Comparable salary in
Tampa, FL
$48,719
Great information Hillian!! I have always heard how I was doing my kids a disservice by moving them into the Florida school system after living in Mass, and it bothered me..even though I did research and all of the schools they may attend had HIGHER rating than any of the schools around where I live now (not speaking for all of MA just the city I live in here) So seeing this makes me happy
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2014, 04:46 PM
 
Location: Spring Hill Florida
12,135 posts, read 14,067,090 times
Reputation: 6028
ouse For Rent$1,025+/mo
3 beds, 2.0 baths, 1,323 sqft4,791 sqft lot Built in 1997
House For Rent$1,050+/mo4 beds, 2.0 baths, 1,224 sqft7,884 sqft lot Built in 1961
House For Rent$850+/mo3 beds, 2.0 baths, 1,310 sqft0.28 ac lot Built in 1939
House For Rent$850+/mo3 beds, 2.0 baths, 1,310 sqft0.28 ac lot Built in 1939
House For Rent$1,000+/mo4 beds, 2.0 baths, 1,530 sqft6,534 sqft lot Built in 1924




Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
There is also no mention of employment. And if the OP thinks NC schools are bad and has her kids in charter schools there, wait till she see the schools in FL.



Based on the budget for housing she can eliminate most of the areas she listed in regards to living.

When people have children involved they have to think about what is best for the kids, to have children in charter schools and to place them in public schools in a state not known for education is a disservice to the kids.

The kids have to come first.

It will be in the mid 50s in Charlotte by Feb, and into the mid 60s by March, hardly what you would call freezing.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2014, 04:51 PM
 
2,727 posts, read 4,628,889 times
Reputation: 2342
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabuda1 View Post
Man I hear the can't take the cold part. I live in Mass and the temps are -20 with the wind chill YIKES I am acutally still in the process from last year of looking to relocate. Prolly thinking of making Dunedin the place we go. We have a small family of 4, me, my husband, and our 2 small children 4 &7. We wanted Palm Harbor but that looks to be a bit on the expensive side so we are going with dunedin because it is a little cheaper and has a lot of the stuff we are looking for. Not the BEST schools but they didn't look like the worst either so we figured it sounds good to us. I just need a different climate, my mind body and soul can't take it here anymore..depressing and grey and like another poster said with next to no money I'd rather be poor in the sun than poor in the cold! And we live in a small fixer upper house making about $70k a year and still live week to week with oil bills, car troubles (due to NE weather, pot holes, salt on the roads corroding our cars-my car has to have the engine cradle replaced due to rust from salt!! It has sat since April because we can't afford the extra $3500. to fix it!! And I pay $320 a month for the car I can't drive!!) just everything. Unless you hate the heat or love the snow living up here is for the birds!
I hear ya. Today, we had our behind freezing at 45F in the morning. How is that sound to you...feel like you can do in t-shirt with that? That's what I saw in the super market. Hopefully, you will bring your 70K salary here too. Otherwise, it is a whole lot different game.

Good luck in your moving plan!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2014, 04:56 PM
 
Location: Spring Hill Florida
12,135 posts, read 14,067,090 times
Reputation: 6028
Where in Mass r u??


Quote:
Originally Posted by vabuda1 View Post
Man I hear the can't take the cold part. I live in Mass and the temps are -20 with the wind chill YIKES I am acutally still in the process from last year of looking to relocate. Prolly thinking of making Dunedin the place we go. We have a small family of 4, me, my husband, and our 2 small children 4 &7. We wanted Palm Harbor but that looks to be a bit on the expensive side so we are going with dunedin because it is a little cheaper and has a lot of the stuff we are looking for. Not the BEST schools but they didn't look like the worst either so we figured it sounds good to us. I just need a different climate, my mind body and soul can't take it here anymore..depressing and grey and like another poster said with next to no money I'd rather be poor in the sun than poor in the cold! And we live in a small fixer upper house making about $70k a year and still live week to week with oil bills, car troubles (due to NE weather, pot holes, salt on the roads corroding our cars-my car has to have the engine cradle replaced due to rust from salt!! It has sat since April because we can't afford the extra $3500. to fix it!! And I pay $320 a month for the car I can't drive!!) just everything. Unless you hate the heat or love the snow living up here is for the birds!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2014, 04:59 PM
 
Location: Spring Hill Florida
12,135 posts, read 14,067,090 times
Reputation: 6028
Certainly not a disservice. A lot of people have opinions based on ancient information.


Plenty of correct information out there. Calculators that are based on factual data to help decision making and comparisons.



Quote:
Originally Posted by vabuda1 View Post
Great information Hillian!! I have always heard how I was doing my kids a disservice by moving them into the Florida school system after living in Mass, and it bothered me..even though I did research and all of the schools they may attend had HIGHER rating than any of the schools around where I live now (not speaking for all of MA just the city I live in here) So seeing this makes me happy
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top