U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 07:36 PM

26 posts, read 137,836 times

Advertisements

Is Wesley Chapel part of New Tampa? I've read/heard lots of good things about WC but I was under the impression it's either part of or right next to New Tampa. The traffic in New Tampa was horrific when my husband and I were there a few months ago so we ruled the area out. He will be working by the airport and want to keep his commute no longer than 30 minutes, this is why we are leaning more towards Carrollwood and Westchase, however, I am now wondering if Wesley Chapel could be an option for us. Also, is WC mainly strip malls or is there a little downtown area? Any info would be much appreciated! Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2006, 05:42 AM

49 posts, read 274,031 times
Ambyr,
Wesley Chapel is just north of New Tampa. If you travel north on Bruce B Downs Blvd, crossing the Pasco County line (at County Line Rd.) you will be in Wesley Chapel. The area of Wesley Chapel along BBD is often also called "New Tampa". Wesley Chapel also extends north around the areas of SR 54. In addition to some schools located off of BBD and County Line Rd, there are also schools up off of SR 54. If you choose an area of Wesley Chapel with easy access to 54, you could just hop on I-75 and head south into Tampa. That exit (S.R 54 off of I-75) is located just north of the merge to I-275, so you can easily travel south towards the airport.
Regardless, you are still going to encounter the same interstate traffic during commute times as you head towards downtown Tampa. The positive about this area is that there are several new communities being built and housing prices will be less then the Westchase area.
In regards to your question of how the businesses are set up, it is primarily strip malls. There is a large regional mall planned for that area (largest in Florida I believe). There is not really a downtown area to speak of. I moved to Florida from NH and was definitely looking for that downtown feel, but I have not found it very much in all of Florida. For the most part, one area just seems to sprawl into another area with no real defined landmarks or borders. (Yes-there are some exceptions.ie, Safety Harbor)

Old 10-20-2006, 09:20 AM

15,205 posts, read 11,527,181 times
Safety Harbor is a nice small "down home" town.

Old 10-20-2006, 10:47 AM

269 posts, read 1,022,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambyr View Post
Is Wesley Chapel part of New Tampa? I've read/heard lots of good things about WC but I was under the impression it's either part of or right next to New Tampa. The traffic in New Tampa was horrific when my husband and I were there a few months ago so we ruled the area out. He will be working by the airport and want to keep his commute no longer than 30 minutes, this is why we are leaning more towards Carrollwood and Westchase, however, I am now wondering if Wesley Chapel could be an option for us. Also, is WC mainly strip malls or is there a little downtown area? Any info would be much appreciated! Thanks!
You'll find that there is less traffic in Wesley Chapel than New Tampa, but you're still going to have rush hour traffic. The traffic won't compare to Westchase/Carrollwood though...they are both busy all day long from my experience.

Wesley Chapel was primarily farmland 8 years ago...cows everywhere. Like many places it has really blown up within recent years and will soon be host to a HUGE mall right at I75 and SR56. There is no downtown area.

Old 10-20-2006, 04:00 PM

2,539 posts, read 3,906,400 times
Default Not New Tampa!!!

We don't like being called "New Tampa". For those that wish it was, they should pay their taxes then. We are part of Pasco county not Hillsborough county. There are very few stores in the area but it is growing.

Old 10-20-2006, 10:10 PM

75 posts, read 323,077 times
For getting to the airport, I would avoid anything that approaches malfunction junction where I-4 and I-275 meet. It's not so bad going North through there in the morning, but everything else is bad (South in the morning and both directions in the evening).

For a 30-minute drive, you could try parts of South Tampa (if you like that sort of area), or you could try living close to the Veteran's Expressway off of either Gunn or Erlich Rd. I used to drive from Gunn to right across from the airport, and it took me about 30 minutes at 7:15AM. You have to pay tolls though. Actually, the traffic on the Veteran's rarely gets bad North of Erlich, so you could potentially live much farther North right off of the Expressway and still not have that much of a commute.

Old 10-28-2006, 03:55 PM

12 posts, read 65,042 times
the new developments are nice but traffic is horrible! it'll take you probably the same amount of time to travel to Tampa from some little town 40 min from Tampa as it would take from WEstley Chapel

Old 10-28-2006, 05:05 PM

It cans take you awhile to get from Tampa from any out lying area, depending on the time of day. It's a city and there is always traffic on the outskirts of the city.

Old 12-16-2006, 03:15 PM

1,824 posts, read 8,032,287 times
Your husband will HATE the commute from Wesley Chapel to the airport. Look West-Town n Country/Westchase, North-Carrollwood, or South-South Tampa.

Old 12-20-2006, 05:53 PM

At least there are more than one way to get there from WC!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay