Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2014, 09:47 AM

294 posts, read 539,318 times

Advertisements

As some MAY rem. (or not lol) I have been doing research on here to plan a move south. Originally we wanted to update our house to sell but realized it would take so much money that we wouldn't really make a profit where we just bought it a cpl years ago so doing all that work wouldn't really give us much to go down with where as if we just did what's needed to run smoothly (as far as any repairs) and then RENT it, we could save and head down sooner. Just curious if anyone has any experience with renting from a long distance? I understand we would need a reputable property manager and wouldn't want to let the renters know we live in FL and not close by...but still has anyone done this and have any advice or good/bad experiences they'd like to share?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 10:42 AM

27,206 posts, read 46,526,550 times
We manage a lot of homes for people who used to live over here and now in other States. You probably can find a reliable property manager in you city who can take care of everything.

Old 01-05-2014, 10:48 AM

Any advice on what we should do to ensure long term tenants that wont trash the place?? I know it's not a guarantee, but helpful advice to make it more of a possibility to land good long term tenants and what to do to weed out the 'riff raff'?

Old 01-05-2014, 03:29 PM

7,113 posts, read 8,595,594 times
I once rented a home to a college professor. On paper he looked great... however he and his wife had domestic abuse issues and our home was trashed and our old neighbors were angry at us...So I had a bad experience and wouldn't do it again.

Old 01-05-2014, 04:50 PM

Oh wow..and hearing 'college professor' you'd think a solid reliable tenant for sure...just goes to show ya I guess...Did you do background checks and everything?? I am planning on doing full background checks, credit checks, and rental history checks...basically everything I can do to try and protect us.

Old 01-05-2014, 06:11 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,113,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabuda1 View Post
Oh wow..and hearing 'college professor' you'd think a solid reliable tenant for sure...just goes to show ya I guess...Did you do background checks and everything?? I am planning on doing full background checks, credit checks, and rental history checks...basically everything I can do to try and protect us.
How about a lease with option to buy? Get some nice up front option money, and if the folks are really serious about buying (which usually they are if they put up option money) they will probably keep the place up.

Old 01-05-2014, 06:24 PM

7,113 posts, read 8,595,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabuda1 View Post
Yes we rented through a realty company,did background checks and got references...but in life what goes on behind closed doors is often a mystery to those on the other side...It's just my experience...doesn't mean yours will be the same...

Old 01-05-2014, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
How about a lease with option to buy? Get some nice up front option money, and if the folks are really serious about buying (which usually they are if they put up option money) they will probably keep the place up.
Hmmm...never thought of that?? Not even sure how that would work, but I guess worth looking into?? Thank you for the idea.

Old 01-05-2014, 08:59 PM

500 posts, read 1,168,099 times
I have worked in apartment property management for 8 years, the last 4 in a very nice luxury community in the best school district in town. It's hard to pass all of the requirements we have to live here.

The worst apartments I've ever seen at move out are here, where people are paying $900 for a one bedroom up to $1700 for a three bedroom.

People have damaged things that you wonder how in the world they managed to do it. People making $75k a year leave the place in filth.

I own a home in Ohio and am chomping at the bit to get to Florida, but I would never rent out my house with what I've seen "nice, respectable" people do to their apartments.

Old 01-05-2014, 11:09 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,762,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
Yes we rented through a realty company,did background checks and got references...but in life what goes on behind closed doors is often a mystery to those on the other side...It's just my experience...doesn't mean yours will be the same...
+1
We had very bad experiance and we were just few hours away from our house... No background/credit checks will do anything. Our house was trashed by school teachers in just 3 months and they moved and all we could do it to keep their deposit which was not nearly enough to fixed all damages. The carpet on the second floor had to be replaced... the house was only 3 year old and like new when they moved.
Oh, and we had different management companies and each looked good on the paper, but not so great in real life.
I would never ever do distance renting again. Nobody lived in our house for a year as were promised and signed for, people were moving out and we had to paint walls (every time), change carpet (once), replace toilets (once), replace glass door, windows, fixing drywalls... People were not disclosing they had animals...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay