U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2014, 09:57 AM

62 posts, read 63,367 times

Advertisements

Hi All. We have been researching for quite some time and have pinpointed Safety Harbor as the place we would like to move to once our home in Indiana sells. I have read several posts on city data regarding traffic and commute challenges in the Tampa area. Assuming that we are able to move to Safety Harbor as we are hoping, what surrounding towns would provide an acceptable commute to and from work? I know everyone has a different idea of acceptable, but mine would be in the 30 to 40 minute range. I'm also assuming that my drive leave and return time would be right around normal rush hour times. Now that we have decided on where we want to live, we are attempting to target areas where we could work. As always thank you for all of your help!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 05:23 PM

323 posts, read 611,111 times
30-40 from Safety Harbor would mean you could work basically anywhere in Pinellas county, save some of the beaches (St. Pete Beach, Tierra Verde, etc.) and South Pinellas - Pinellas Point/Gulfport/South Pasadena. Your commute would be more like an hour to a lot of those places during rush hour. It would be also be an easy commute to Oldsmar, East Lake, and areas east of Oldsmar (ie outside Pinellas county) that I'm not very familiar with.

Try Clearwater, Palm Harbor, Tarpon Springs, Largo, Pinellas Park, Dunedin, Bellair Beach/Bluffs, St Pete (could push the 40 min mark), Kenneth City, Seminole (also would be close to 40), Oldsmar.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:04 AM

22,473 posts, read 33,352,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by druthb00 View Post
30-40 from Safety Harbor would mean you could work basically anywhere in Pinellas county, save some of the beaches (St. Pete Beach, Tierra Verde, etc.) and South Pinellas - Pinellas Point/Gulfport/South Pasadena. Your commute would be more like an hour to a lot of those places during rush hour. It would be also be an easy commute to Oldsmar, East Lake, and areas east of Oldsmar (ie outside Pinellas county) that I'm not very familiar with.

Try Clearwater, Palm Harbor, Tarpon Springs, Largo, Pinellas Park, Dunedin, Bellair Beach/Bluffs, St Pete (could push the 40 min mark), Kenneth City, Seminole (also would be close to 40), Oldsmar.
I agree and would add Tampa's NW side (Westchase, Citrus Park) as well as the area around Tampa International Airport/Westshore which can be reached via 60 (Courtney Campbell Causeway) or via 580/Tampa Road. I'd place Westchase at 30 minutes and the rest closer to 40 minutes.

Old 01-06-2014, 12:24 PM

1,749 posts, read 2,606,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I'd place Westchase at 30 minutes and the rest closer to 40 minutes.
It takes 30 minutes to travel 10 miles?

Old 01-06-2014, 01:03 PM

693 posts, read 1,009,346 times
On a bicycle?

Old 01-06-2014, 05:59 PM

Thank you all for the information! Very helpful!!!

Old 01-07-2014, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
It takes 30 minutes to travel 10 miles?
Yeahhhh, it can.....it's called rush hour traffic.

Old 01-07-2014, 06:58 AM
BBI

490 posts, read 851,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefishes540 View Post
Hi All. We have been researching for quite some time and have pinpointed Safety Harbor as the place we would like to move to once our home in Indiana sells. I have read several posts on city data regarding traffic and commute challenges in the Tampa area. Assuming that we are able to move to Safety Harbor as we are hoping, what surrounding towns would provide an acceptable commute to and from work? I know everyone has a different idea of acceptable, but mine would be in the 30 to 40 minute range. I'm also assuming that my drive leave and return time would be right around normal rush hour times. Now that we have decided on where we want to live, we are attempting to target areas where we could work. As always thank you for all of your help!
The biggest job centers near Safety Harbor are Carillon/Gateway (north end of St. Pete) and downtown St. Pete in Pinellas, and then Westshore and downtown Tampa in Hillsborough. There are jobs scattered throughout the bay area, and I'm not sure what you do, so I don't mean to suggest you'll necessarily be working in one of those places. But most of the surrounding towns are just suburbs.

Anyway, I work in the Carillon/Gateway area (near Roosevelt/275 interchange), and when we were neighborhood hunting, I tested the commute between my office and downtown Safety Harbor. It was about 30 minutes at rush hour. Downtown St. Pete would be more like 40-45 minutes. Someone else will have to tell you commute times to/from Westshore and downtown Tampa. For what it's worth, my general assumption when crossing a bridge into Tampa at rush hour is to just double google maps drive times.

Old 01-07-2014, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBI View Post
The biggest job centers near Safety Harbor are Carillon/Gateway (north end of St. Pete) and downtown St. Pete in Pinellas, and then Westshore and downtown Tampa in Hillsborough. There are jobs scattered throughout the bay area, and I'm not sure what you do, so I don't mean to suggest you'll necessarily be working in one of those places. But most of the surrounding towns are just suburbs.

Anyway, I work in the Carillon/Gateway area (near Roosevelt/275 interchange), and when we were neighborhood hunting, I tested the commute between my office and downtown Safety Harbor. It was about 30 minutes at rush hour. Downtown St. Pete would be more like 40-45 minutes. Someone else will have to tell you commute times to/from Westshore and downtown Tampa. For what it's worth, my general assumption when crossing a bridge into Tampa at rush hour is to just double google maps drive times.
Which is why the Safety Harbor/Oldsmar/East Lake area is golden because one can avoid bridges commuting via 580. If and when the massive construction on US19 ever ends it would seem the commute southbound to Downtown St Pete will improve by a good 10 minutes.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBI View Post

That is great information. Thank you! I am a branch manager at a local bank in Indiana and my wife is in accounting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or