Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2014, 06:52 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,024,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
1. Now that I have seen the video that guy who died was CLEARLY a bully and a jerk and had no right to grab Reeves' popcorn and throw it at him. I can guarantee that Oulson has pulled that kind of behavior on other people. What an A-hole.

2. If you take something that belongs to someone else and throw it at that someone, that is a battery and if you get shot and killed, that's the chance you take for being a bully. I would advise AGAINST bullying people in a state where A LOT of people are armed. Go be a bully in California or Oregon or Massachusetts. Smaller chance of getting shot.

3. Reeves took things too far, he deserves to be convicted of manslaughter (not murder), however I wonder whether a conservative Pasco jury will agree.
I am happy to know that you have been enlightened by the video. The scenario that took place in the video was what I said almost 2 weeks ago.

But virtually everyone else said I was wrong, didnt happen that way.

Now that they KNOW what happened they are quiet here. Why manslaughter? The old man was protecting himself from an attack that quickly escalated from words to physical grabbing and throwing.

Old 02-08-2014, 06:57 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,449,315 times
Spring, I respect your opinion and have read just about all of these in here. So I what I am about to say is nothing to do with you.

I do really like the comments regarding the responsibility of a person with a gun. Someone holding a gun HAS TO TRY TO DE-ESCALATE a situation.

For those that have already pronounced him guilty I think you are wrong. Our Legal System doesn't work that way. You are Innocent until proven guilty. Right or wrong, he will get his day in court.

For those that have already judged him to be a terrible person, I don't know how you know that. You read a couple quotes in the newspaper and that is enough? What about his Daughters testimony? He spent what, 30 years in Law Enforcement. You don't think that his training required him to have a hand on a gun at the first sign of trouble? Watch a cop pull someone over for a traffic violation. There hand is ready to reach for that gun.

I refuse to stand up for either side on this from what I have read. I will wait for the Court Case.

Old 02-08-2014, 06:57 PM

892 posts, read 1,568,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
You need to get the story straight. This was not an incident over texting. That was over already.

However, what did happen is Reeves was verbally and physically assaulted. What was he supposed to do? Allow Ouslen to kick his ass? Why should he be subjected to that? Yes, Reeves could have just moved to another seat, but why? Why couldnt he just sit where he was and watch a movie.

Why did Oulson take the steps that brought it to a self defense situation for Reeves?

Why did Ouloson grab Reeves' pop corn and throw it at him. Why did he apparently throw a cell phoe at Reeves?

Reeves never assaulted Oulson. Oulson took it upon himself to assault Reeves.

Reeves had the ability to respond to avoid further harm to himself and shot the attacker dead.

I wonder how you would feel about this matter if you were attacked. Say a guy comes up to you in the Publix parking lot and shoves you into the trunk as you are putting your groceries in it. You would most likely become a missing person until they find your body.

Lets say you bump into a lady by accident on the sidewalk in front of a strip mall. You offer an apology but the lady throws down what she may have been carrying and starts to strangle you.
Do you really think your fellow citizens are going to assist you? Hell no. They would shoot video of it on their cellphones. Someone may dial 911. By the time police arrive you will be dead or close to it

In either situation if you had a weapon at your disposal wouldnt you exercise deadly force to prevent further harm? Think about that and answer it.

It really shows where your mentality is when you use an example like that....

"The LADY throws down what she may have been carrying and STARTS TO STRANGLE YOU"???????

I hate to use improper English here but.....

Aint no lady strangling me jack.

Are you a scared, paranoid, frail little man or what??????????

Old 02-08-2014, 07:04 PM

30,172 posts, read 20,894,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-R-B View Post

"The LADY throws down what she may have been carrying and STARTS TO STRANGLE YOU"???????

You are beating a dead horse with that person.

Old 02-08-2014, 07:07 PM

Good position Gulfer. Well said. My position on the matter has not wavered and what I have been saying has proved to have some accuracy to it.

I agree that situations should always be defused. However, Reeves apparently thought it was defused after the got up to report the situation. Apparently Mr. Oleson did not think so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfer View Post
Spring, I respect your opinion and have read just about all of these in here. So I what I am about to say is nothing to do with you.

I do really like the comments regarding the responsibility of a person with a gun. Someone holding a gun HAS TO TRY TO DE-ESCALATE a situation.

For those that have already pronounced him guilty I think you are wrong. Our Legal System doesn't work that way. You are Innocent until proven guilty. Right or wrong, he will get his day in court.

For those that have already judged him to be a terrible person, I don't know how you know that. You read a couple quotes in the newspaper and that is enough? What about his Daughters testimony? He spent what, 30 years in Law Enforcement. You don't think that his training required him to have a hand on a gun at the first sign of trouble? Watch a cop pull someone over for a traffic violation. There hand is ready to reach for that gun.

I refuse to stand up for either side on this from what I have read. I will wait for the Court Case.

Old 02-08-2014, 07:11 PM

27,206 posts, read 46,547,726 times
I wonder what else will come out in court...Chad Oulsen was this his first marriage, or was he married before and did he have a track record of anger issues or not.

That will all be played out in court.

With the Jodi Arias case I felt horrible how Travis name was trashed in court but I do understand that they need to check into the victims past too to see if there was anything that would have triggered the cruel murder Jodi committed.

Similar in this case and in this case we now have seen in the video that Chad Oulsen was not a person just sitting and watching a movie trailer while txting and behaved further like a model citizen.

I agree with others who seem to see it as I ado that Chad's wife tried to hold Chad back....maybe prior girlfriends or others will show up in court to give a character testimony and I believe that this case may end in a settlement agreement and Reeves will get sentenced to something minor for example for bringing a gun into a gun free zone.

It showed clearly Reeves sitting and being attacked when Chad took for no reason the popcorn out of the older man's hand and threw it on him.

Of course reeves may have said something but words don't hurt but can be not so nice...popcorn in your face may not really hurt but this is more a reflection and then the shooting. I can only imagine the words coming out of both sides mouth and I don't think Chad Oulsen was polite so Reeves may have had his gun ready if Chad Oulsen was threatening him with words.

Some younger people...and Chad was younger than Reeves may have thought Reeves was just an old man not able to do anything....that is what bullies always think and this was the one time that an older person was able to defend himself so I'm getting more and more the defense for self defense...but still the gun wasn't allowed to be there in the first place so that remains an issue.

Old 02-08-2014, 07:15 PM

From your description of yourself I will say that I am big as you are. I wont go into my past here in the open forum, but I can assure you I have put more hurt on more people than you could imagine and that as the aggressor and the defender. There was a time in my life when my reputation preceded me.
My reference of the lady who started to strangle was involving another woman. However, I've gone up against a couple of women in my day and the results were shocking to me. Martial arts can make a little lady a worthy opponent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-R-B View Post

Old 02-08-2014, 07:32 PM

30,172 posts, read 20,894,173 times
The guy should never had his phone out to start with and none of this would have went down. No wonder i stay home to watch movies on my much better system.

Old 02-08-2014, 07:59 PM

1,509 posts, read 1,783,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
In Pasco you can get a very diversity in one jury pool....

Unemployed, self employed, people who own guns, no guns, white, black, Asian, Hispanic, different religions or no religion, people who may have been a victim or have a family member that maybe convicted...
I hope he gets a jury of his peers. Not a quota of tokens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Of course killing a baby is going to produce more public outrage, but some of the posts I'm reading make me feel as if a human life is no longer sacred.
Millions of American babies are murdered in the womb. This has to have an effect on society.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
.... and I believe that this case may end in a settlement agreement and Reeves will get sentenced to something minor for example for bringing a gun into a gun free zone...
...but still the gun wasn't allowed to be there in the first place so that remains an issue.
There may be a settlement or a lesser charge, but there is no law preventing Reeves from carrying his gun into that theater; the theater's No Guns Allowed policy does not have any force of law, same as their No Texting policy.

Old 02-08-2014, 07:59 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,595,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
From your description of yourself I will say that I am big as you are. I wont go into my past here in the open forum, but I can assure you I have put more hurt on more people than you could imagine and that as the aggressor and the defender. There was a time in my life when my reputation preceded me.
My reference of the lady who started to strangle was involving another woman. However, I've gone up against a couple of women in my day and the results were shocking to me. Martial arts can make a little lady a worthy opponent.
You've fought women....really?

You never cease to amaze me, Spring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay