Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2014, 09:37 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,576,507 times

Advertisements

First of all this notion that Oulsen initiated physical contact is completely false. Reeves started the physical contact by first tapping Oulsen on the shoulder to get his attention to get him to turn the phone off. Reeves again made contact by kicking or disturbing the back of the Oulsen's seat when going to or returning from complaining to management.

Reeves appears to never have made any attempt to deescalate the situation. Oulsen on the other hand told Reeves as quick as he was done contacting his daughter's sitter, he was powering down the phone and it would be off before the movie started. This by some accounts was completed before Reeves came back from management.

Reeves thought he knew how to play the game and exactly what to say, but what he didn't count on was a camera watching his every move. He claims during his questioning that he had to raise his left arm to react or shield himself from an object, the video shows no defensive movement or posture in that regard.

He claims Oulsen was up on the seat and right on top of him, virtually in his lap, but the video only shows an out stretched arm briefly twice to take his popcorn and to throw it at him.

He mentions several times during questioning his arthritic hands and in particular his back even using the term crippled once, yet arrives, sits down, gets up and sidesteps his wife's leg in a narrow aisle and returns to his seat with remarkable ease.

He's clearly getting caught in little lies and they're adding up and that's just what the public knows. I got a feeling the Pasco County Sheriff knows a lot more they haven't put on the table yet.

Old 02-08-2014, 09:43 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
I wonder how you would feel about this matter if you were attacked.
You assume too much. Many years ago I was a victim of assault by a maniac who threatened to kill me if I didn't do what he asked, which is a lot more traumatic than being hit by popcorn. I don't think I would have had the chance, since I was taken by surprise, but of course I would have defended my life. This isn't the same thing. You obviously have never been a victim of a life-threatening, violent crime or you wouldn't be so nonchalant about it. Thinking "I'm going to die" and being held against your will with a man's hands around your throat is entirely different from being in a confrontation over a cell phone in a movie theater.

Even Mrs. Reeves told the police in a recorded statement after the shooting that Oulson never hit her husband. It was only after Reeves realized he might go to jail for the rest of his life that he began embellishing his story.

Did you listen to the eyewitnesses who saw what happened in the theater? Maybe you don't believe the retired Air Force veteran who said Oulson was very calm and asked politely if he could text his daughter? One man said Reeves' wife told him he was wrong immediately after the shooting and he pointed his finger at her angrily. The man sounds like a bully who cannot control his temper.

Old 02-08-2014, 10:14 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,119,427 times
I served this county for 6 years. Maybe that worked in your Grandfathers day as it did in my fathers time. However, the time have changed and people are violent by nature now days. I will not back down to some dirt bag who is violating the rights that I have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSpur View Post
My grandfather was one of the men who served this country and gave you those rights and I can tell you right now he would have never thought of shooting a man in fear of getting his ass whipped. He'd call anyone with that line of thinking an alternative name for a feline. He would have told you how real confrontations are settled- and it wasn't with a gun.

I hate that you feel that way, but it is your right. As long as you are aware that your gun makes you nearly useless or incapable in times of strife...because heaven forbid, you actually take a punch or get your ass kicked and wake up with some bumps and bruises the next day. The father and husband who died in that theater would have loved that alternative. But hey, I guess you feel his life was worth it as long as the former police officer didn't have to endure harm from an ass whipping...since, you know, he was defending his life and all that.

Old 02-08-2014, 10:21 PM

It tells me that he was aware of the gravity of the situation and that he could have been killed by further attack. Once again - Let me be clear - The situation was beyond texting. The situation was that the man was being attacked and he responded to that attack in a means that is acceptable under law.

71 year old men do not need to suffer at the hands of anyone. In fact, no person needs to suffer at the hands of anyone.

1000 empty seats. Oleson should have taken the opportunity to correct the situation by moving.

Warning someone who is within inches of you is not a good idea.

As far as a break in, I would be waiting for them to step through the door or into the house from a window.
I would not hesitate to take that person out. Surely they would have had no problem taking me out.

My house, my home. I will defend it.

The victim got up and turned around after Reeves returned to his seat for the sole purpose of
continuing an argument which he escalated to assault and battery. For those stupid actions he lost his
life.

No sympathy. No excuses. We reap what we sow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
IF he was prepared to an escalation over some trivial texting,, what does that tell you? specially when you see 1000 empty seats, when you can just move away from a "possible" escalating problem.. ? if I hear noises in my house or someone trying to break in, I will warn ONCE,,, I HAVE A GUN -BACK AWAY- BUT if I can slip out that back window first,,, I AM!- not prepared to KILL unless there is NO other choice, HE did NOT seek another solution- I am waiting to see WHY the victim got UP and turned around.

Old 02-08-2014, 10:33 PM

I have had a gun aimed point blank at my chest. I have had a knife put to my neck. Very traumatic. I was unable to respond to these situations. Even if I was armed I could not have done anything to protect myself. I was quite unhappy that I had to turn over my personal property in one instance and watch while 3 giuys beat my friend to a pulp over a prior dispute. However, if I could have I would have responded to both of these incidents. In this world I have learned that criminals are armed and have no problem in taking my life. If I have to chance to take theirs in a situation that I did not cause to be, so be it.

Please get over the thinking that this was all about a cell phone. It was about one man assaulting another man. Mr. Oulson pressed his luck by thinking the old man would quiver and take whatever he felt he should met out. Wrong move Mr. Oulson.

The video is quite clear as to who reached out to who. It wasnt Reeves. Reeves knew exactly what he was doing and why he was doing it.

Perhaps Oulson was calm and collected during the initial conversation with Reeves but he certainly was not calm and collected when he got up reached over and grabbed Mr. Reeves popcorn. He was not cool and collected when the cell phone was flying. He was angry and dangerous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
You assume too much. Many years ago I was a victim of assault by a maniac who threatened to kill me if I didn't do what he asked, which is a lot more traumatic than being hit by popcorn. I don't think I would have had the chance, since I was taken by surprise, but of course I would have defended my life. This isn't the same thing. You obviously have never been a victim of a life-threatening, violent crime or you wouldn't be so nonchalant about it. Thinking "I'm going to die" and being held against your will with a man's hands around your throat is entirely different from being in a confrontation over a cell phone in a movie theater.

Even Mrs. Reeves told the police in a recorded statement after the shooting that Oulson never hit her husband. It was only after Reeves realized he might go to jail for the rest of his life that he began embellishing his story.

Did you listen to the eyewitnesses who saw what happened in the theater? Maybe you don't believe the retired Air Force veteran who said Oulson was very calm and asked politely if he could text his daughter? One man said Reeves' wife told him he was wrong immediately after the shooting and he pointed his finger at her angrily. The man sounds like a bully who cannot control his temper.

Old 02-08-2014, 10:34 PM

173 posts, read 449,107 times
Since this thread is on 111 pages, I might as well chime in.

Reeves is 100% innocent. Why? because no evidence has been presented to a jury of his peers beyond and to the exclusion of every reasonable doubt. Until the state satisfies this burden, Reeves is innocent. Keep you judgment to yourself.

Old 02-08-2014, 10:37 PM

I would think if the victim wanted to press charges against the attacker, the cop would have had no choice but to arrest the attacker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
The cop COULD have arrested Oulson for the popcorn grabbing/throwing. But that would have been a judgment call for the cop.

Unless there is relentless media coverage that favors Oulson/his wife, I think a Pasco jury will hang b/c not all of the jurors will want to convict Reeves of 2nd-degree murder. There will be at least 1 or 2 jurors who won't. Remember the prosecution will have to CONVINCE the ENTIRE jury that this old ex-cop at the movies "had premeditation" of the crime, that this old ex-cop deserves the death penalty as a possible punishment (which is what 2nd degree warrants).

If a jury wasn't convinced that Zimmerman was guilty of 2nd-degree murder, they sure as hell aren't gonna be convincd that Reeves is guilty of 2nd degree murder.

Old 02-08-2014, 10:40 PM

He could get convicted of FS 782.11 Unnecessary killing to prevent unlawful act.—Whoever shall unnecessarily kill another, either while resisting an attempt by such other person to commit any felony, or to do any other unlawful act, or after such attempt shall have failed, shall be deemed guilty of manslaughter, a felony of the second degree.

Old 02-08-2014, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
that this old ex-cop deserves the death penalty as a possible punishment (which is what 2nd degree warrants)
No death penalty for 2nd degree murder. The correct sentence is up to 30 years.

Old 02-08-2014, 10:47 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
I served this county for 6 years. Maybe that worked in your Grandfathers day as it did in my fathers time. However, the time have changed and people are violent by nature now days. I will not back down to some dirt bag who is violating the rights that I have.
Apparently the defendant's own wife doesn't agree with you, unless you think this Deputy Sheriff is lying.

Alan Hamilton, an off-duty Sumter County sheriff's deputy who was in the theater to watch the film "Lone Survivor," said that immediately after the shooting, he moved toward the commotion and took the weapon away from Reeves.

Hamilton said that Reeves' wife was sitting nearby and said to her husband that he had "no cause" to shoot anyone -- and that Reeves used an expletive to tell his wife to be quiet.

[URL="http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/national/curtis-reeves-case-update-friends-testify-in-florida-theater-shooting-hearing"]SOURCE[/URL]

I know I'm repeating what I already wrote, but I don't know what "rights" you are talking about in your post.

By the way, you keep bringing up his age, but I know people a lot older than he is who are very strong and physically fit. I realize that senior citizens need to be treated with respect, but they need to earn that respect. By the way, our family always had a gun in the house, but I can't imagine my Dad carrying it to the theater when he took us to the movies. Coincidentally, one of them was "The Ten Commandments."

There's a big difference between being anti-gun and anti-murder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay