Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2014, 12:07 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
If look away for a second you may have missed the strike if that was what happened...

If you watch tv and look to the side you can just have missed something that someone else will tell you and you haven't seen it...sometimes the hosts on TV even say " watch clearly and you will see it"
No, I saw it. So what? The video is very grainy and you don't know what "it" is or what happened, since you were not present. The witnesses said Oulson never was a threat. Reeves' wife said they should have changed seats and that there was no reason for his reaction. It's on a recording for pity's sake.

I'm a "senior" and weigh 105 lbs soaking wet. If you go back to my posts from May/June 2010, you will read that in May I was knocked down in a store, resulting in a broken pelvis and other injuries. I was taken to Peace River Hospital in Port Charlotte in an ambulance where I was on my back for days and released in a wheelchair. In July, I was still using a walker to get to the bathroom. The last thing I thought of while lying on the floor was shooting the man who carelessly ran into me. I was petrified, since I couldn't even sit up and thought I was paralyzed. However, it was a freak accident, and we're both alive and breathing. Reeves was not even touched by Oulson. Anyone can "think" a kernel of popcorn is a deadly weapon, but it doesn't make it so. During my long life I've had stuff thrown at me lots of times. Good thing it doesn't snow in Florida or a snowball fight would turn deadly.

Old 02-10-2014, 12:46 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,664,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verysadsad View Post
I would believe it in Florida. You've got one of the worst economies with a very armed and unforgiving populace. It really isn't like this in other places, although the entire nation is decaying rapidly.

Washington is powerless to help and so the citizens only refuge is the state. We need a new national capital and stronger state government with an interest in their people. That will likely mean a weaker Union but at least people can live and survive.
lol. I'm going out on a limb here and will assume you're joking.

Washington IS the problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
No, I saw it. So what? The video is very grainy and you don't know what "it" is or what happened, since you were not present. The witnesses said Oulson never was a threat. Reeves' wife said they should have changed seats and that there was no reason for his reaction. It's on a recording for pity's sake.

I'm a "senior" and weigh 105 lbs soaking wet. If you go back to my posts from May/June 2010, you will read that in May I was knocked down in a store, resulting in a broken pelvis and other injuries. I was taken to Peace River Hospital in Port Charlotte in an ambulance where I was on my back for days and released in a wheelchair. In July, I was still using a walker to get to the bathroom. The last thing I thought of while lying on the floor was shooting the man who carelessly ran into me. I was petrified, since I couldn't even sit up and thought I was paralyzed. However, it was a freak accident, and we're both alive and breathing. Reeves was not even touched by Oulson. Anyone can "think" a kernel of popcorn is a deadly weapon, but it doesn't make it so. During my long life I've had stuff thrown at me lots of times. Good thing it doesn't snow in Florida or a snowball fight would turn deadly.
Texting in a theater when it's not allowed and after you've been asked to stop is not a freak accident. Grabbing someone's popcorn out of their hand and throwing it into their face is not a freak accident.

Old 02-10-2014, 02:22 PM

22,317 posts, read 29,400,492 times
I wonder what the count of injuries and death by flying popcorn are per year???

GIVE ME A F-ING BREAK

Old 02-10-2014, 02:28 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,119,427 times
If you think the guy got shot because of popcorn I guess you dont know the whole story.

Old 02-10-2014, 03:00 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,576,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
I don't see anyone throwing popcorn, bullies are afraid to mess with senior citizens, and texting in theaters is out of style.
The seniors are the bullies as was Reeves. A lot of seniors don't realize one can actually be 21 years old and be protected by the same statute that they are under law...it applies to the disabled as well and some people may be physically fine with the only disability being a mental issue or eyesight. The seniors have to be careful and I'm waiting till we see a news story where one of the senior bullies pick the wrong person to mess with and get the beat down they rightfully deserve.

Yes the seniors, the men seniors, are walking around my part of FL with a massive chip on their shoulder, they always have but it's been far worse since the shooting. They've taken on a John Wayne persona lately and I'm on high alert all the time, they frighten me. I don't know if I can be doing something nice like holding the door open for them, but my hand accidentally slips and they shoot me, it's scary. The scowls and menacing glances I get from them are particularly disturbing.

The Courts really need to get this verdict right and make an example of Reeves, otherwise it'll open season on the young and middle aged.

Old 02-10-2014, 03:11 PM

22,317 posts, read 29,400,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
If you think the guy got shot because of popcorn I guess you dont know the whole story.

What part of we know Chad and his wife did you not catch the first time I posted on this whole thread? WE KNOW EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED AND THAT COP WILL DIE AND ROT IN JAIL

Old 02-10-2014, 03:18 PM

1,509 posts, read 1,794,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bannedontherun View Post
A lot of seniors don't realize one can actually be 21 years old and be protected by the same statute that they are under law...it applies to the disabled as well and some people may be physically fine with the only disability being a mental issue or eyesight.

I doubt that you understand what the statute actually says. It's been referenced many times in this thread. It ONLY applies to those who are 65 or older. Your statement to the contrary is incorrect.

Florida Statutes 784.08 - Assault or battery on persons 65 years of age or older; reclassification of offenses; minimum sentence

Florida Statutes > Chapter 784 > 784.08

(1) A person who is convicted of an aggravated assault or aggravated battery upon a person 65 years of age or older shall be sentenced to a minimum term of imprisonment of 3 years and fined not more than $10,000 and shall also be ordered by the sentencing judge to make restitution to the victim of such offense and to perform up to 500 hours of community service work. Restitution and community service work shall be in addition to any fine or sentence which may be imposed and shall not be in lieu thereof.

(2) Whenever a person is charged with committing an assault or aggravated assault or a battery or aggravated battery upon a person 65 years of age or older, regardless of whether he or she knows or has reason to know the age of the victim, the offense for which the person is charged shall be reclassified as follows:
(a) In the case of aggravated battery, from a felony of the second degree to a felony of the first degree.
(b) In the case of aggravated assault, from a felony of the third degree to a felony of the second degree.
(c) In the case of battery, from a misdemeanor of the first degree to a felony of the third degree.
(d) In the case of assault, from a misdemeanor of the second degree to a misdemeanor of the first degree.

(3) Notwithstanding the provisions of s. 948.01, adjudication of guilt or imposition of sentence shall not be suspended, deferred, or withheld.

Old 02-10-2014, 03:22 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,664,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
What part of we know Chad and his wife did you not catch the first time I posted on this whole thread? WE KNOW EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED AND THAT COP WILL DIE AND ROT IN JAIL
So you're saying because you know someone, you're all-knowing? Is this anything like A Friend of a Friend?

Gawd!

Old 02-10-2014, 03:52 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,576,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
I doubt that you understand what the statute actually says. It's been referenced many times in this thread. It ONLY applies to those who are 65 or older. Your statement to the contrary is incorrect.

Florida Statutes 784.08 - Assault or battery on persons 65 years of age or older; reclassification of offenses; minimum sentence

Florida Statutes > Chapter 784 > 784.08

(1) A person who is convicted of an aggravated assault or aggravated battery upon a person 65 years of age or older shall be sentenced to a minimum term of imprisonment of 3 years and fined not more than $10,000 and shall also be ordered by the sentencing judge to make restitution to the victim of such offense and to perform up to 500 hours of community service work. Restitution and community service work shall be in addition to any fine or sentence which may be imposed and shall not be in lieu thereof.

(2) Whenever a person is charged with committing an assault or aggravated assault or a battery or aggravated battery upon a person 65 years of age or older, regardless of whether he or she knows or has reason to know the age of the victim, the offense for which the person is charged shall be reclassified as follows:
(a) In the case of aggravated battery, from a felony of the second degree to a felony of the first degree.
(b) In the case of aggravated assault, from a felony of the third degree to a felony of the second degree.
(c) In the case of battery, from a misdemeanor of the first degree to a felony of the third degree.
(d) In the case of assault, from a misdemeanor of the second degree to a misdemeanor of the first degree.

(3) Notwithstanding the provisions of s. 948.01, adjudication of guilt or imposition of sentence shall not be suspended, deferred, or withheld.
Look at 825.102 and it doesn't say just in nursing home or ALCF...that's anywhere. Penalties are also enhanced if one assaults or batters LEOs, EMTS, and firefighters,....there are numerous occupations and conditions where crimes are reclassified and penalties enhanced.

Old 02-10-2014, 04:16 PM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
Some people seem to have issues controlling their anger and are attacking others while everyone seems to agree that the victim shouldn't have been shot but that things may be different than thought at first.

To me it is disturbing we can't have a decent discussion...JMO!

This is a free country and we can agree to disagree and in the end the final decision will be after all evidence will be presented in court and the jurors have decided...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay