U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 12:56 PM

5 posts, read 13,138 times

Advertisements

I've made a few trips to Tampa in the past and will be visiting twice in the next couple months to look into housing and jobs for myself and my girlfriend. While we don't have our minds set on any particular location yet, I'm looking for a locals' perspective on some good bars/restaurants to try out while we're in town. Our taste is more dive bar than fancy restaurant. We're staying at the Hyde Park Hotel when we visit in February, so any good places near there would be helpful too, but in general I'm looking to experience some good places that locals really enjoy.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 01:19 PM

2,826 posts, read 3,423,224 times
Are you in your 20s/30s? You'll be staying in my neighborhood.

You'll be within walking distance of a whole strip of good bars on Howard catered to that age group. The best dive bar though is in downtown, in my opinion. It's called The Hub. Strongest drinks I've ever had in Tampa and really cheap also. Cab ride from there to downtown shouldn't be much.

Old 01-13-2014, 02:00 PM

Yeah, we're both in our early 30's. Your description of The Hub sounds like the type of place I'd like to check out. Thanks!

Old 01-13-2014, 02:21 PM

819 posts, read 1,093,393 times
Skippers Smokehouse is a pretty interesting place Welcome to Skipper's Smokehouse! I go there mostly on Wednesdays for reggae night.

Old 01-13-2014, 02:33 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,831,798 times
I'll give you a little list to start with:

- The Hub (already mentioned)
- Pete's Place
- Tiny Tap
- McKenzie's
- Barefoot Billy's
- TDY's
- I Don't Care
- Fine Wine & Spirits
- Tapper Pub

All of those are in South Tampa, except the Hub (which is downtown).

Old 01-31-2014, 08:34 AM

Thanks for the info guys! We'll probably check all those places outover the next couple trips down.

Old 01-31-2014, 01:07 PM

790 posts, read 1,078,784 times
Yeomans on Davis Island is my goto dive spot.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:25 AM

9 posts, read 20,771 times
I'd like to bring this thread back since I'm planning a trip for a NFL game this fall. There will be a group of guys in their 30s.

What are the best areas for bar hopping? We aren't interested in anything real fancy; some dive bars would be good.

I was planning on getting a hotel downtown and having that be the main area we stay in, but we could venture out if it's an easy cab or bus ride.

Also, any tips on transportation to the Bucs game would be great too!

Old 06-05-2014, 11:37 AM

819 posts, read 1,093,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyFromMN View Post
I'd like to bring this thread back since I'm planning a trip for a NFL game this fall. There will be a group of guys in their 30s.

What are the best areas for bar hopping? We aren't interested in anything real fancy; some dive bars would be good.

I was planning on getting a hotel downtown and having that be the main area we stay in, but we could venture out if it's an easy cab or bus ride.

If you're in downtown Tampa, you could walk to Hattricks, start there, then take the trolley to Ybor city where there are plenty of places to bar hop.

Old 06-06-2014, 11:59 AM

153 posts, read 167,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyFromMN View Post

I highly recommend the food at Four Green Fields Tampa (Irish restaurant). They have a huge bar...it's the first thing you notice when you walk in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or