Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 06:49 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times

Advertisements

How do you figure it would take an hour to get to a school in Spring Hill if you are in Spring Hill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
I guess for me the question is 'why Spring Hill?' That is 100 mile round trip to work every day. That drive will be at least an hour each way if not more during summer rain storms. The wear and tear on your car is also an expense you would have to consider.

Nothing against Spring Hill but it is something to think about especially if you have small kids and they are in school. You have to drive an hour to get to them if they are sick or hurt.

The newer the home the less the insurance will be due to new building code that requires homes have certain requirements for wind protection
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 08:04 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,901,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
How do you figure it would take an hour to get to a school in Spring Hill if you are in Spring Hill?
I think Keeper was referring to the spouse working at Tampa airport. It looks like that might be a long commute, but I have never come down that way so I am not sure just how long.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:17 AM

3,177 posts, read 6,824,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
I guess for me the question is 'why Spring Hill?' That is 100 mile round trip to work every day. That drive will be at least an hour each way if not more during summer rain storms. The wear and tear on your car is also an expense you would have to consider.

Nothing against Spring Hill but it is something to think about especially if you have small kids and they are in school. You have to drive an hour to get to them if they are sick or hurt.

The newer the home the less the insurance will be due to new building code that requires homes have certain requirements for wind protection
I think her husband is already making the commute as he's staying apparently staying in Brooksville. But it is something to keep in mind. I make the commute to Tampa very often, not daily but at least a few times a week. I've got a company car though and generally am able to make the trip at times where I avoid the rush-hour traffic.

As far as the insurance, the big thing is to get both wind mitigation and a four-point inspections done by your home inspector. My 1985 house has a 2006 roof with the proper fastening devices in place as per the new code.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
I think Keeper was referring to the spouse working at Tampa airport. It looks like that might be a long commute, but I have never come down that way so I am not sure just how long.

Well, the spouse is already living in Brooksville which is a tad north of Spring Hill so he must be accustomed to the trip. It is a good hours ride from here to Tampa, but it takes me 20 mins to go all the way across town to get to the Suncoast Expressway, so the drive time from a house closer to the Suncoast would be less than an hour. Spouse is right at the Suncoast (Veterans down there) so for him it 100 percent highway and a good chunk of that is with a 70 MPH speed limit.

Old 01-21-2014, 12:04 PM

Indeed the way the roof trusses are attached to the house makes a huge difference in HOI. The more wind mitigation factors you have the better the rate. Of course any older house could be retrofitted to have the proper tie downs when the roof gets replaced. Add in other mitigation factors like hurricane resistant windows, hurricane resistant door, replace or retrofit the garage door and you've done about all that one can do to make the house safer and more able to survive a hurricane. The inspection I paid for has paid itself back in lower premiums

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
I think her husband is already making the commute as he's staying apparently staying in Brooksville. But it is something to keep in mind. I make the commute to Tampa very often, not daily but at least a few times a week. I've got a company car though and generally am able to make the trip at times where I avoid the rush-hour traffic.

As far as the insurance, the big thing is to get both wind mitigation and a four-point inspections done by your home inspector. My 1985 house has a 2006 roof with the proper fastening devices in place as per the new code.

Old 01-21-2014, 12:15 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,901,046 times
Quote:
Well, the spouse is already living in Brooksville which is a tad north of Spring Hill so he must be accustomed to the trip. It is a good hours ride from here to Tampa, but it takes me 20 mins to go all the way across town to get to the Suncoast Expressway, so the drive time from a house closer to the Suncoast would be less than an hour. Spouse is right at the Suncoast (Veterans down there) so for him it 100 percent highway and a good chunk of that is with a 70 MPH speed limit.
Good info!

Old 01-21-2014, 01:50 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,824,656 times
Quote:
Indeed the way the roof trusses are attached to the house makes a huge difference in HOI. The more wind mitigation factors you have the better the rate. Of course any older house could be retrofitted to have the proper tie downs when the roof gets replaced. Add in other mitigation factors like hurricane resistant windows, hurricane resistant door, replace or retrofit the garage door and you've done about all that one can do to make the house safer and more able to survive a hurricane. The inspection I paid for has paid itself back in lower premiums
I replaced all the windows and the insurance company sent an inspector out to verify and it took a little off my premium. He told me if I replace my garage doors with ones that are hurricane rated it that I'd get the money back for the new doors within 10 years.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:47 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,800,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn123 View Post
So is it better to get a older home to be safe or newer??
I'm not sure if older or newer is the better way to go. If it were me personally, I would talk to my realtor and ask specifically to see only repaired sinkhole homes - old and new alike. But I would also request all the documentation to show that it had been properly repaired. If the market is still the same as it was a couple of years ago, you can probably pick up a repaired sinkhole house for a bit less than another house, so that is also a bonus.

Honestly, you will get a GREAT deal on a house in Spring Hill. I check the market there frequently, and I'm always amazed at how inexpensive the big, beautiful pool homes are there. The same type of house would go for three times the amount down here in Pinellas! But then again, home values are dictated more by location than by size and beauty.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:48 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,800,282 times
As to the drive, if the husband takes the Parkway down to the airport, it will be a fairly easy-going drive. Put on an audio book or some good music and you are good to go! The commute isn't terrible - at least it's not continual stop-and-go traffic the whole way.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:50 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,202,980 times
Working at the Airport and living in Spring Hill is a hell if a commute that will get old in no time. Don't get swayed by cheap house values. There is a reason that they are cheap, most people won't live there while working in Tampa until probably the next housing bubble come and people can't afford anymore closer places. And that would be, drum roll..while I am looking my crystal ball.....in 10 years? Toll, gas, miles on your car would be outrageous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay