Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 02:48 PM

6 posts, read 12,123 times

Advertisements

We re planning to move to tampa... Need some help

Is new tampa less polluted or better than tampa?

My kid is suffering from pnemonia and asthma since the time we moved to Dallas... I read online that Florida is asthmatics friendly place because of the ocean breeze it helps asthmatics to breathe better... Any suggestions please...

Any can suggest me of good pediatrician Nd pulmonologist in this area.. My kid 5 year and is allergic to pollution and dust... Which area is good in tampa... Or can anyone suggest me of better city in Florida so we can move... Please help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 03:10 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,204,693 times
Allergy Forecast for TAMPA, FL (33647) | Pollen.com

the area can get significant pollen counts during certain times of the year - and the humidity in the area can trigger asthma.....might have a trial visit during our humid months to see if your child can tolerate the area....good luck

Old 01-24-2014, 03:55 PM

35,295 posts, read 20,671,984 times
I had boy that way- took him to S Fla Hollywood-- and was never sick after that,, but Tampa is Pollen city ---oak trees galore,,, my grand-daughter was scratchy, lived on the air thingy and pills creams, always looked beat up! They moved to Clermont FL... hardly anytrees there, and is much better- much better,,, they lived in tampa- clearwater, holiday, spring Hill. very close to water and not tiill left area,,, not sure what to tell you.

Old 01-24-2014, 04:12 PM

790 posts, read 1,257,817 times
March-April is THE WORST time of the year for outdoor pollutants in Tampa. It starts getting hot, humid and you can barely breathe. Once you see those layers of green dust on your car, its over.

Old 01-24-2014, 04:28 PM

26,798 posts, read 43,267,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanaja View Post
We re planning to move to tampa... Need some help

Is new tampa less polluted or better than tampa?

My kid is suffering from pnemonia and asthma since the time we moved to Dallas... I read online that Florida is asthmatics friendly place because of the ocean breeze it helps asthmatics to breathe better... Any suggestions please...

Any can suggest me of good pediatrician Nd pulmonologist in this area.. My kid 5 year and is allergic to pollution and dust... Which area is good in tampa... Or can anyone suggest me of better city in Florida so we can move... Please help
As someone who suffers from allergies (and a borderline asthmatic) I would recommend somewhere along the coast, as far south as possible because the air can get quite dry/cold in the Central to Northern part of the state in Dec-Jan-Feb. When Florida is discussed as a better place to be it's meant literally along the coast, within a few miles and preferably a mile or less. Much past that and you'd just as well be 30 miles inland in some instances. In the "Tampa area" that means in the St Pete-Clearwater-Largo-Seminole-Palm Harbor-Safety Harbor area. Other larger areas you might consider with a similar cost of living are on the Gulf coast in Sarasota/Bradenton/Venice and the Atlantic coast in Stuart/Jensen Beach/Palm Beach Gardens.

Old 01-25-2014, 07:08 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,727,791 times
one thing too is since the area is very humid, there's a higher chance of mold here too.

Old 01-25-2014, 08:48 AM

17,452 posts, read 38,829,694 times
I definitely recommend coastal locations. My exhusband was a severe asthmatic originally from Massachusetts. When we lived in the Tampa area (and north of there) his asthmas was terrible, but as soon as we moved to Sarasota it completely cleared up. I don't recommend Tampa for people suffering from asthma.

Good luck!

Old 01-25-2014, 01:00 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,606,263 times
I used to work in Allergy Asthma clinical research here in Tampa Bay. It is not good for many of us who suffer from allergies and asthma. I have year round allergies here and when I lived in Maryand and UK I only had seasonal. We had so many kids develop asthma here. Maybe contact some allergist and get some info.
This link is handy. From what we found with our research, the numbers are going up every year in most places.
http://www.healthytampabay.com/modul...ionzoom=County

Last edited by shanti1; 01-25-2014 at 01:28 PM.. Reason: link

Old 01-25-2014, 01:14 PM

237 posts, read 389,946 times
Tampa, despite all the posters who love to complain is ranked 72 out of 100 metropolitan areas in the US by the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America I lived many years in Virginia and North Carolina and they have some of the worst allergy seasons on the East Coast. Everything will be coated in a green dust, it will be floating in the air.

12 worst cities for allergies: The season for sneezin' | MNN - Mother Nature Network

Old 01-26-2014, 03:49 PM

26,798 posts, read 43,267,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dystopian View Post
Tampa, despite all the posters who love to complain is ranked 72 out of 100 metropolitan areas in the US by the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America I lived many years in Virginia and North Carolina and they have some of the worst allergy seasons on the East Coast. Everything will be coated in a green dust, it will be floating in the air.

12 worst cities for allergies: The season for sneezin' | MNN - Mother Nature Network
Actually as an FYI the "green dust" (really greenish-yellow) is primarily Pine Pollen which is not airborne and largely not breathable unless you're under them, as it simply falls to the ground. The worst pollen for allergy sufferers are the microscopic pollen particles set off by the hardwood trees such as Oak and Maple which are very light in weight, move freely in the air and are easily inhaled. Many move to Florida thinking they're going to see relief from allergies not realizing much of the state is blanketed with several varieties of Oak Trees. The only areas where they tend to not grow in large numbers (or any at all) is along the coast which is why so many see relief there specifically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay