U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 09:33 AM

26,245 posts, read 14,744,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Tatts stopped being fashionable a long time ago.
Once the preserve of career criminals and losers they enjoyed a brief moment of popularity but when they become commonplace they became common.
All those lemmings following a fashion statement that they'll bitterly regret in years to come - rather like seeing a middle-age person still dressed as a punk only they won't be able to shower them off and put on a suit.
Most company CEOs I know wouldn't even consider someone for a job with visible tatts.

they need to get over it! the popularity has just started, and the trecky guys, programers/ etc etc (the future of our world) are def into lip clips and big earrings in their ears etc and pot,,, get over it!
I met some of a graduating class of Carnegy Mellon - those computer scientists are wayy out -intelligent, but way out
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 10:23 AM

15,956 posts, read 33,685,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSpur View Post
I lived in Georgia (born and raised in SC). Augusta is where I lived for 3 years in Georgia, to be specific...just right across the river from SC. Probably the worst place I have ever lived, easy...certainly the worst place of it's size. So depressing.

Also, temperature wise...get ready for HEAT. This Florida heat that all the Northerners complain about is nothing because they all moved straight from the top down to the bottom and is all they know...it gets BRUTAL in the summers in GA and SC with no relief.
I have been in SC in the summer and I agree - the heat is so steamy and oppressive I could not breathe. It made even the hottest, steamiest summer in Florida feel refreshing!

Old 01-29-2014, 11:09 AM

4,586 posts, read 4,952,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
That is one thing I am not looking forward to.. this heat!
Well, here you've missed your opportunities to go by the beach! We have awesome breezes there! Been to the beach yesterday...Don't know what to tell you other than move to Nebraska by yourself. IF that is WHERE you want to be, then be there. Why spend your life so unhappy? Who benefits from that?

Old 01-29-2014, 11:35 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,114,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
Well, here you've missed your opportunities to go by the beach! We have awesome breezes there! Been to the beach yesterday...Don't know what to tell you other than move to Nebraska by yourself. IF that is WHERE you want to be, then be there. Why spend your life so unhappy? Who benefits from that?
Oh goodness! Beaches and me dont get along My skin rebels and burns even with 100 SPF.

As I said before, I'm not unhappy, just not thrilled with living in the south. Its not just as easy as picking up and moving to Nebraska like most people could do, we have an obligation to the military. We all have to make sacrifices when your significant other is in the military. My daily mantra is 6 more years... then we can have the life we want back in Nebraska with a pension.

Old 01-29-2014, 11:40 AM

Truthfully i was really excited for this move. We were supposed to be going to Colorado. Hubby had passed an interview for a special duty assignment with flying colors. They had put a hold on him and everything. Only when they started to put the orders in that they realized that the unit in colorado was full of his rank and they could not bring him on. We were ready to buy a house and everything in colorado, we havent owned a home yet but in colorado, we definitely could see ourselves being happy there. Short driving distance home, friends and family already in the denver area.. Our kinda climate, etc.

So yes, I probably am more upset than I should be because we were all set ready to move to Colorado until last night when things changed.

Granted, its out of our hands now, but just frustrating. Hubby found out after the fact that there were several job openings in the midwest (including 4 in Nebraska) that were available for the current group of people who need to be stationed somewhere else. Since the Colorado unit put a hold on him, everyone else got assigned those jobs and he was autoassigned to what is left over. Had this whole colorado hold not happened, we might have actually got assigned back home possibly.

Old 01-29-2014, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Oh goodness! Beaches and me dont get along My skin rebels and burns even with 100 SPF.

As I said before, I'm not unhappy, just not thrilled with living in the south. We all have to make sacrifices when your significant other is in the military. My daily mantra is 6 more years... then we can have the life we want back in Nebraska.
I don't ever stay in the sun at the beach! I wear a hat, and use an umbrella! Or the palm trees that create a very nice shade; actually I am always in the shade at the beach; sun tanning is something I'll never understand. Both my son and I are white as paper...that however is not going to stop us from enjoying our beautiful beaches. You are really missing out.

I get the sacrificing part, but you wouldn't be complaining if you were happy. I could NOT live anywhere for 6 years or for one year for that matter if I didn't love it. Or had at least 20 things I loved about it. Maybe at least you could plan some trips for yourself to Nebraska to take a break from what makes you miserable. I would consider that money well spent.

Old 01-29-2014, 11:47 AM

Quote:
I don't ever stay in the sun at the beach! I wear a hat, and use an umbrella! Or the palm trees that create a very nice shade; actually I am always in the shade at the beach; sun tanning is something I'll never understand. Both my son and I are white as paper...that however is not going to stop us from enjoying our beautiful beaches. You are really missing out.

I get the sacrificing part, but you wouldn't be complaining if you were happy. I could NOT live anywhere for 6 years or for one year for that matter if I didn't love it. Or had at least 20 things I loved about it. Maybe at least you could plan some trips for yourself to Nebraska to take a break from what makes you miserable. I would consider that money well spent.
Ahh I see. For us, beach is just a long day. Its an hour (in good traffic) each way, so just not something I'd rather do is all. I'm just not a beach person, which that's fine for people who are, i'm happy have only been to the beach 2 times in the 4 years i've been here, i'm quite ok with that

We usually go home once or twice a year, depending on our finances. Always in November, sometimes in the summer. THis summer we will likely be skipping it since we'll be mid move.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:01 PM

12,135 posts, read 14,192,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I have been in SC in the summer and I agree - the heat is so steamy and oppressive I could not breathe. It made even the hottest, steamiest summer in Florida feel refreshing!
Thats how I remember it. Its the true swampland.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Ahh I see. For us, beach is just a long day. Its an hour (in good traffic) each way, so just not something I'd rather do is all. I'm just not a beach person, which that's fine for people who are, i'm happy have only been to the beach 2 times in the 4 years i've been here, i'm quite ok with that

We usually go home once or twice a year, depending on our finances. Always in November, sometimes in the summer. THis summer we will likely be skipping it since we'll be mid move.
We're about 30 minutes give or take (but I won't live closer because there are too many trailer parks; I hate them)....but I couldn't not go; we're from Miami, lived about 15 minutes tops to the beaches there...(The Gulf beaches are my favorites though)...I go almost every day (that doesn't pour) from April until it gets cold...I don't like it when it's cold at the beach...went to Clearwater once in 2003 in January and froze...brrr had friends visiting from NJ...man that was a bad idea; we lived in Miami then, and they wanted to see Tampa...and what did we know? We never had to wear winter clothes in Miami ever! Didn't have any jackets, had to buys some...disaster.....

I hope somehow you get to take more trips...even short weekend ones...

That sucks....to know you're going one way and then have it changed on you; I can't argue that.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:57 PM

Quote:
We're about 30 minutes give or take (but I won't live closer because there are too many trailer parks; I hate them)....but I couldn't not go; we're from Miami, lived about 15 minutes tops to the beaches there...(The Gulf beaches are my favorites though)...I go almost every day (that doesn't pour) from April until it gets cold...I don't like it when it's cold at the beach...went to Clearwater once in 2003 in January and froze...brrr had friends visiting from NJ...man that was a bad idea; we lived in Miami then, and they wanted to see Tampa...and what did we know? We never had to wear winter clothes in Miami ever! Didn't have any jackets, had to buys some...disaster.....

I hope somehow you get to take more trips...even short weekend ones...

That sucks....to know you're going one way and then have it changed on you; I can't argue that.
As much as I'd love to take short weekend trips, even that's not possible Driving home is easily a 20 hour drive from Georgia if you drive straight and well plane tix would be 700 round trip for just my son and I through southwest (who i typically find cheaper than anyone else). I wont deny, it just sucks, but damnit i will make lemonade with those peaches in georgia LOL

But again, I'm not going to lie and say i'm excited. I can honestly say I would have rather gone over seas than georgia, I'm just not a southern kinda person

But, atleast I'll only be a 4 hour drive up 75 to visit my best friend in Ocala.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay