U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 01:12 PM

4,586 posts, read 4,964,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
As much as I'd love to take short weekend trips, even that's not possible Driving home is easily a 20 hour drive from Georgia if you drive straight and well plane tix would be 700 round trip for just my son and I through southwest (who i typically find cheaper than anyone else). I wont deny, it just sucks, but damnit i will make lemonade with those peaches in georgia LOL

But again, I'm not going to lie and say i'm excited. I can honestly say I would have rather gone over seas than georgia, I'm just not a southern kinda person

But, atleast I'll only be a 4 hour drive up 75 to visit my best friend in Ocala.
Argh; that sucks...

Good thing you're not in Georgia/Atlanta now...apparently they're all freaked out about a tiny snow cover! LOL
How long r I supposed to be there for? All of the 6 years? At least homes on GA are huge and pretty cheap! Maybe you can buy one and build some equity so all is not lost on rent!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 02:31 PM

26,364 posts, read 14,825,051 times
(quote)apparently they're all freaked out about a tiny snow cover
more like hard ICE, been in those--- very very dangerous, many injured, along with wrecked cars- not fun at all. down power lines and mostly scared kids,,, some very young- they dont always get it.

Old 01-29-2014, 03:14 PM

4,586 posts, read 4,964,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
(quote)apparently they're all freaked out about a tiny snow cover
more like hard ICE, been in those--- very very dangerous, many injured, along with wrecked cars- not fun at all. down power lines and mostly scared kids,,, some very young- they dont always get it.
LOL Yeah! I guess folks from NJ, NYC etc would be insulted by those reactions! Should I even bother to mention Alaska? Montana? Wisconsin? .........and Atlanta is all flat freakin Roads! Ridiculous!

Old 01-29-2014, 03:48 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,855,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
LOL Yeah! I guess folks from NJ, NYC etc would be insulted by those reactions! Should I even bother to mention Alaska? Montana? Wisconsin? .........and Atlanta is all flat freakin Roads! Ridiculous!
You have to remember that Southern cities aren't equipped with the equipment that places used to getting snow and colder weather are...they don't have anything to combat it. Also the tires one equips as well would be different. It's not like the drivers make the total difference.

Also, it can be 70 degrees in South Carolina/Georgia one day and then snowstorm the next...which is nearly exactly what happened this time around. Even with warnings, people don't expect anything to happen.

Old 01-29-2014, 04:05 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,127,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
Argh; that sucks...

Good thing you're not in Georgia/Atlanta now...apparently they're all freaked out about a tiny snow cover! LOL
How long r I supposed to be there for? All of the 6 years? At least homes on GA are huge and pretty cheap! Maybe you can buy one and build some equity so all is not lost on rent!
We're there at minimum 2 years, there's no set end date.

We've debated buying since we could get a nice 2-3 bed house for ~100k and they dont have a horrible market right now.

Old 01-29-2014, 04:11 PM

27,798 posts, read 28,392,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSpur View Post
You have to remember that Southern cities aren't equipped with the equipment that places used to getting snow and colder weather are...they don't have anything to combat it. Also the tires one equips as well would be different. It's not like the drivers make the total difference.

Also, it can be 70 degrees in South Carolina/Georgia one day and then snowstorm the next...which is nearly exactly what happened this time around. Even with warnings, people don't expect anything to happen.
driving on sheets of ice - even the most experienced driver will have trouble with that - having driven in snow country in Europe (Bavaria) for over 20 yrs and in several feet of snow during most winters, I've had some awful experiences with winter driving - I feel for the folks in Georgia who, as you say, haven't got the road clearing/salt throwing machines that the northern states have.

Last edited by BucFan; 01-29-2014 at 04:31 PM..

Old 01-29-2014, 04:42 PM

Location: says MA on my license but can be found wandering the beaches of RI
1,432 posts, read 1,630,630 times
Agree. For those who have never lived in the northern states to have the experience, it's scary to drive in that. Jeez, even for those of us who deal with it all the time it's scary. Having 4wd or snow tires does not combat icy roads so I feel for those in the south dealing with this right now.

I heard on the radio driving home tonight that (hope I'm not misquoting) 2,000 school-aged children had to be sent back to school because the buses could not get through on the roads and it was safer. Apparently, they spent the night at the school. I hope everyone is safe when this is all said and done.

Old 01-29-2014, 04:46 PM

saw video of the Atlanta roads - pure sheets of ice - no traction, cars going in circles -really feel for them ------12 fatalities on the roads from today's headlines.........crazy.

Old 01-29-2014, 04:48 PM

Location: says MA on my license but can be found wandering the beaches of RI
1,432 posts, read 1,630,630 times
That is so so sad...hadn't caught up on the latest and didn't realize there were fatalities.

Old 01-29-2014, 04:50 PM

Freak Southern storm blamed for 12 deaths
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay