U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-31-2014, 12:44 AM
 
1,640 posts, read 2,272,848 times
Reputation: 2607

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
Til we got orders to Georgia, one of the few places that could be worse than living here (for me). Ah well, few glimmers of goodness, have some friends living about 90 minutes from where we will be, and there's always Dragon*Con in atlanta which will be HUGE for my business.

We leave first thing in July, lovely!

Ah well, it is what you make of it, i suppose I cant wait to see the looks i get there! Multi colored hair with tattoos is sure to elicit some sort of response from the folks there. An atheist living in the bible belt should be fun LOL
IMO, Georgia, including Atlanta, is a much worse place to live than Florida, especially for atheists and/or those with alternative styles. All of Georgia is decidedly Bible Belt; however, the same can't be said for Florida, which IMO, is one of its few saving graces, especially since it's a Southern state.

Have you ever considered the West Coast (i.e., CA, OR, WA) or some of the Intermountain West cities such as Phoenix, Denver, Vegas, Tucson, or Albuquerque? FWIW, there are tons of non-religious people in the West as well as many more people with alternative styles than in the Southern states, including Florida. Tattoos seem more common in the West than in the South as well. Most people--save, perhaps, Midwestern transplants--wouldn't bat an eyelash at someone with your style and/or beliefs, let alone pay you any mind and/or make a rude/snide comment. People out here don't pay too much mind to other people to begin with, which is a good thing, IMO.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-31-2014, 07:13 AM
 
Location: Spring Hill Florida
12,135 posts, read 14,235,343 times
Reputation: 6043
You fail to understand that Rezfreak is married to a member of our military services. Rezfreak does not get to choose where they go. Uncle Sam does.


HEY REZ..... Thank you for your husbands service and your sacrifices to be married to him.



Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
IMO, Georgia, including Atlanta, is a much worse place to live than Florida, especially for atheists and/or those with alternative styles. All of Georgia is decidedly Bible Belt; however, the same can't be said for Florida, which IMO, is one of its few saving graces, especially since it's a Southern state.

Have you ever considered the West Coast (i.e., CA, OR, WA) or some of the Intermountain West cities such as Phoenix, Denver, Vegas, Tucson, or Albuquerque? FWIW, there are tons of non-religious people in the West as well as many more people with alternative styles than in the Southern states, including Florida. Tattoos seem more common in the West than in the South as well. Most people--save, perhaps, Midwestern transplants--wouldn't bat an eyelash at someone with your style and/or beliefs, let alone pay you any mind and/or make a rude/snide comment. People out here don't pay too much mind to other people to begin with, which is a good thing, IMO.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2014, 07:57 AM
 
2,763 posts, read 5,134,881 times
Reputation: 2774
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
IMO, Georgia, including Atlanta, is a much worse place to live than Florida, especially for atheists and/or those with alternative styles. All of Georgia is decidedly Bible Belt; however, the same can't be said for Florida, which IMO, is one of its few saving graces, especially since it's a Southern state.

Have you ever considered the West Coast (i.e., CA, OR, WA) or some of the Intermountain West cities such as Phoenix, Denver, Vegas, Tucson, or Albuquerque? FWIW, there are tons of non-religious people in the West as well as many more people with alternative styles than in the Southern states, including Florida. Tattoos seem more common in the West than in the South as well. Most people--save, perhaps, Midwestern transplants--wouldn't bat an eyelash at someone with your style and/or beliefs, let alone pay you any mind and/or make a rude/snide comment. People out here don't pay too much mind to other people to begin with, which is a good thing, IMO.
As much as I appreciate the thought, we have no choice where we live - we are a military family. If we had a choice, we'd already be back in the Midwest
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2014, 07:59 AM
 
2,763 posts, read 5,134,881 times
Reputation: 2774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
You fail to understand that Rezfreak is married to a member of our military services. Rezfreak does not get to choose where they go. Uncle Sam does.


HEY REZ..... Thank you for your husbands service and your sacrifices to be married to him.
Thanks SH! 6 more years and we are all done! (though these years at georgia will be worse military wise for my husband, he got put into a combat unit, so lots of crappy location TDYs)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2014, 08:04 AM
 
Location: Tampa, FL
27,798 posts, read 28,425,931 times
Reputation: 14611
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
As much as I appreciate the thought, we have no choice where we live - we are a military family. If we had a choice, we'd already be back in the Midwest
Not completely accurate. Military has an "assignment preference sheet". In my 23+ yrs in the military, I ALWAYS was given my first choice in about 10 or more assignments. Of course every military occupation is different, but lets not make it seem like you're getting a prison sentence by being assigned to Tampa or ATL. Both areas would be considered ideal to most people - great assignments. Again, misery seems to follow people around, no matter where they go.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2014, 08:10 AM
 
2,763 posts, read 5,134,881 times
Reputation: 2774
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Not completely accurate. Military has an "assignment preference sheet". In my 23+ yrs in the military, I ALWAYS was given my first choice in about 10 or more assignments. Of course every military occupation is different, but lets not make it seem like you're getting a prison sentence by being assigned to Tampa or ATL. Both areas would be considered ideal to most people - great assignments. Again, misery seems to follow people around, no matter where they go.
His dream sheet was all midwest states. Of his assignments BEFORE he met me, he got Idaho and Nebraska when his previous dream sheet was Texas and California. He has never had any state on his dream sheet. To top this experience off, this job here was a base of preference follow on. Which, for those reading this not in the military means that when the assignment was done, he would get higher consideration for the bases on his wish list. We requested nebraska and were denied due to it being at capacity.

Not sure why you keep calling me in "misery" just because i'm UNHAPPY about a base we're stuck living in. You keep ignoring the fact I said there are pluses there but oh, yes, you just want to dig on me being "miserable" because I'm not over the top excited.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2014, 08:24 AM
 
Location: Fort Lauderdale, Florida
11,437 posts, read 10,219,802 times
Reputation: 25482
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
I think many people mentioned that to you when you were complaining about this place so much.

Heading up there for July? Oh my. Wait to you get to experience a real hot, humid and STAGNANT summer. You better hope they have an abnormally cool and windy summer. I will have to make sure I follow your posts up there. Should be entertaining.
I have to agree that unless you are in the mountains, Georgia is going to be a lot worse than Florida. It is just so steamy!

Ignore what others have told you about Georgia and its conservatives. Yes, it does have those areas if you are in small, little towns. However, areas like Savannah, Atlanta, Helena are thriving arts communities, very liberal.

You will also have the mountains of Georgia and the change of seasons. I happen to think that the Low Country of Georgia and the Brunswick Isles are simply stunning. Sea Island, Jekyll Island, St. Simons, etc.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with your time and Georgia. Being close to Atlanta will mean you are close to museums, world class cultural events, big ticket entertainment, and sporting events. Lenox Square Mall is one of the best malls in the US. Atlanta also has a huge thriving LGBT community.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2014, 08:30 AM
 
5,377 posts, read 3,943,424 times
Reputation: 3110
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Not completely accurate. Military has an "assignment preference sheet". In my 23+ yrs in the military, I ALWAYS was given my first choice in about 10 or more assignments. Of course every military occupation is different, but lets not make it seem like you're getting a prison sentence by being assigned to Tampa or ATL. Both areas would be considered ideal to most people - great assignments. Again, misery seems to follow people around, no matter where they go.
The longer you are in the military the less choice you have, you are generally given lots of incentives for you first reenlistment, less for the second term, and I as I understand it from friends that were in with me and stayed in with the cuts after you get to 15+ you take what you get or they are happy to show you the door. I know my brother is an officer and he is been trying to get to Tampa for the last 5 years and no dice.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2014, 09:20 AM
 
Location: Tampa, FL
27,798 posts, read 28,425,931 times
Reputation: 14611
One has to realize when members of the military pick their specialty that will limit the areas they will be sent. For example - if you're a heart surgeon, the likelihood that you're going to be sent to Tampa is slim to none, unless you're completely out of your occupational specialty and are functioning in another role. I've discovered in my years that some families are harder to please than others - some expected to join the military but remain in their hometown. Doesn't make much sense.

Some military families take advantage and relish the opportunity to see/live in the various parts of our country/world rather than whine about it every chance they get.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2014, 09:28 AM
 
2,763 posts, read 5,134,881 times
Reputation: 2774
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
One has to realize when members of the military pick their specialty that will limit the areas they will be sent. For example - if you're a heart surgeon, the likelihood that you're going to be sent to Tampa is slim to none, unless you're completely out of your occupational specialty and are functioning in another role. I've discovered in my years that some families are harder to please than others - some expected to join the military but remain in their hometown. Doesn't make much sense.

Some military families take advantage and relish the opportunity to see/live in the various parts of our country/world rather than whine about it every chance they get.
Talking to you is like talking to a wall. : smack:
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:02 PM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top