Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 09:45 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,005,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
One has to realize when members of the military pick their specialty that will limit the areas they will be sent. For example - if you're a heart surgeon, the likelihood that you're going to be sent to Tampa is slim to none,.
Maybe someone can clear this up for me because I have zero experience with the military but I would think just the opposite. A heart surgeon would be have much more opportunity than a drone mechanic (I'm not trying to offend anyone, I don't know and drone mechanic embraced entry level military to me).

The more specialized, the less competitions for positions.

My husband's best friend is a dentist and Colonel and his wife is an emergency room doctor and Colonel in the US Army and they are in Germany because they want to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2014, 09:51 AM

6,583 posts, read 4,958,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Maybe someone can clear this up for me because I have zero experience with the military but I would think just the opposite. A heart surgeon would be have much more opportunity than a drone mechanic (I'm not trying to offend anyone, I don't know and drone mechanic embraced entry level military to me).

My husband's best friend is a dentist and Colonel and his wife is an emergency room doctor and Colonel in the US Army and they are in Germany because they want to be.
Not every base has every specialty, they don't fly drones out of every base, they don't have infantry man in every base, there are some jobs like logistics, medical where they do have in every base, and there are also people who work out of their fields in training roles or specialized roles like SOF.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:24 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,832,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
You fail to understand that Rezfreak is married to a member of our military services. Rezfreak does not get to choose where they go. Uncle Sam does.

HEY REZ..... Thank you for your husbands service and your sacrifices to be married to him.
Exactly and many people fail to understand the toll it can take on the spouse of a military member. They get moved to places they may or may not be a nice place to live and they just have to make the best of it. And they can be without their spouse for long periods of time.

Thank you Rezfreak and your spouse for helping to make all of our lives as good and free as they are.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:30 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,005,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
Not every base has every specialty, they don't fly drones out of every base, they don't have infantry man in every base, there are some jobs like logistics, medical where they do have in every base, and there are also people who work out of their fields in training roles or specialized roles like SOF.
Thank you Dunndrnt, I appreciate you taking the time to answer me.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:41 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,730,877 times
For the most part, my husband's position is at most if not all bases, he deals with computer networking and satellites, but mostly combat/remote setup structures.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:45 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,730,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
Exactly and many people fail to understand the toll it can take on the spouse of a military member. They get moved to places they may or may not be a nice place to live and they just have to make the best of it. And they can be without their spouse for long periods of time.

Thank you Rezfreak and your spouse for helping to make all of our lives as good and free as they are.
He's the one who has to deal with all the crappy places he goes for deployments, not me. Relatively speaking, my life is much better than his, I stay home with our child all day and keep up the house. He probably sees things I'd never want to see.

Though the plus is atleast when he does deploy, i can take a weekend trip down to my best friend in Ocala since its only a 4 hour drive.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:47 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,022,438 times
If I was in the service these days I'd want to be stationed in the far east or europe. state side is a drag.

Old 01-31-2014, 12:05 PM

7 posts, read 10,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
Til we got orders to Georgia, one of the few places that could be worse than living here (for me). Ah well, few glimmers of goodness, have some friends living about 90 minutes from where we will be, and there's always Dragon*Con in atlanta which will be HUGE for my business.

We leave first thing in July, lovely!

Ah well, it is what you make of it, i suppose I cant wait to see the looks i get there! Multi colored hair with tattoos is sure to elicit some sort of response from the folks there. An atheist living in the bible belt should be fun LOL
Hi Rez
Having lived in NYC , Miami and Atlanta until our recent move to up state New York, I can tell you that it all depends where in Georgia you go! I lived in Atlanta buckhead area and also had purple hair and tattoos! The urban scenes is lovely and very open, the other towns can be a bit bias and not as warm and fuzzy but hey what town is? Virginia highlands and morning side would make you happy! I am looking at moving to tampa st Pete area this summer as we'll and would love your insight on the area and schools if you don't mind!

Old 01-31-2014, 04:08 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,231,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post

Army heart surgeons usually will only be assigned to one of eight major medical centers in the Army - or deploy to a field hospital in a war zone. An Army heart surgeon wouldn't be sent to MacDill unless he's away from his field of work and in medical operations at a command level.

Normally the longer you've been in the military, the higher your rank on both enlisted and officer ranks and the positions (jobs) are less available for you to choose from. Career progression is a goal - and the people who decide where military memebers are sent also look at jobs which best suit the members' potential and career progression.

We are very fortunate to see most parts of the US and the world in our careers. Rather than whining about it, embrace the opportunity and make the best of it.

Old 01-31-2014, 04:09 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,231,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
well stated
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay