Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 09:48 PM

6 posts, read 7,080 times

Advertisements

Hi so I'm looking for apartments around Bay pines/ Seminole. There's really almost none with garages...maybe i'll rent a house.

When a hurricane glances etc, at what level does everyone evacuate? How far do you go? How much street flooding is there? How far does it extend?

Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2014, 10:47 PM

819 posts, read 1,409,353 times
That can vary quite a bit from one neighborhood to the next if we're talking immediate coast. Any specifics?

If you're several miles inland, typically it's a non issue unless something massive came up the gulf and hit just right, causing a large storm surge. You can find what flood zone you're in on FEMA's website, and Google Earth will generally give you an approximate elevation of your proposed address accurate to within 3/4 of a foot. So, for example, if your FEMA 100 year flood elevation is A15 and your actual elevation is 15, chances are you have nothing to worry about. Hell even if you're a few feet lower still probably nothing to worry about since we're talking 100 year liklihood. If you're not in an A, or V (beachfront) of course, you don't really have to worry at all since driveways, parking lots, etc. are typically a foot or two above the street so even if the street floods you're okay as long as you don't have to go out immediately.

Old 02-01-2014, 05:50 AM

5,978 posts, read 7,377,898 times
It's all based on location. You can go to the Hillsborough County web site and see the evacuation map. Evacuation is only mandatory in certain areas, so it's not always the case that you are forced to leave.

Hillsborough County, FL - Official Website - Hurricane Evacuation Assessment Tool (HEAT)

If you have an evacuation plan, it's often suggested that you evacuate well outside of the area, possibly out of state in severe instances.

I have lived here since the mid 90s and never had to evacuate, nor felt the need to. Where you live is going to determine this.

RM

Old 02-01-2014, 12:15 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrToothAche View Post
Hi so I'm looking for apartments around Bay pines/ Seminole. There's really almost none with garages...maybe i'll rent a house.

When a hurricane glances etc, at what level does everyone evacuate? How far do you go? How much street flooding is there? How far does it extend?

Thanks everyone!
Most of Seminole is non-evacuation and fairly high in elevation considering it's a coastal area. Bay Pines is surrounded by water at a lower elevation and is pretty much the opposite. Other areas nearby that fit the non-evacuation/no-flooding criteria are along the west side of Pinellas....the far west side of Largo as well as Belleair, Belleair Bluffs and SW Clearwater (Nursery Road corridor).

Old 02-02-2014, 12:27 AM

6 posts, read 7,080 times
thanks guys so much! I looked up some flood maps of pinellas county, and I feel a lot better haha. Thanks because I was looking at some places that were evacuation category A!
Thanks again!

some good websites:
daftlogic.com
floodmap.net

Old 02-02-2014, 09:44 AM

5,654 posts, read 6,217,411 times
Whether or not you evacuate will also depend on the type of home in which you live. I am inland in a concrete house with hurricane shutters so I plan to stay for a Cat 3 or lower. Cat 4 or above I think I would evacuate. Most experts advise evacuation at any level if you are in a mobile home.

Old 02-02-2014, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
Whether or not you evacuate will also depend on the type of home in which you live. I am inland in a concrete house with hurricane shutters so I plan to stay for a Cat 3 or lower. Cat 4 or above I think I would evacuate. Most experts advise evacuation at any level if you are in a mobile home.
It's not so much about the type of building involved and wind speed, along the coast the concern is more so regarding floodwater potential with flood surge heights over several feet high in some places, much like what happened with Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans where so many drowned. FEMA has varying evacuation zones based on storm surge threat, ranging from minimal (Zone A) all the way to highest (Zone E). Mandatory Evacuations can also be issued for certain zones depending upon forecasted storm surge heights.

Old 02-02-2014, 02:50 PM

1,509 posts, read 1,795,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
It's all based on location. You can go to the Hillsborough County web site and see the evacuation map. Evacuation is only mandatory in certain areas, so it's not always the case that you are forced to leave.

Hillsborough County, FL - Official Website - Hurricane Evacuation Assessment Tool (HEAT)

If you have an evacuation plan, it's often suggested that you evacuate well outside of the area, possibly out of state in severe instances.

I have lived here since the mid 90s and never had to evacuate, nor felt the need to. Where you live is going to determine this.

RM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
According to the HEAT tool mentioned above, if anybody in Hillsborough is under mandatory evacuation, all mobile homes and RVs are included, regardless of exact location.

Old 02-03-2014, 07:15 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,901,046 times
What about zone X?

Old 02-04-2014, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
What about zone X?
According to FEMA Zones B and X (shaded on flood map) as well as Zones C and X (unshaded on flood map) are areas of moderate or minimal hazard are studied based upon the principal source of flood in the area. However, buildings in these zones could be flooded by severe, concentrated rainfall coupled with inadequate local drainage systems. Local stormwater drainage systems are not normally considered in a community’s flood insurance study. The failure of a local drainage system can create areas of high flood risk within these zones. Flood insurance is available in participating communities, but is not required by regulation in these zones. Nearly 25-percent of all flood claims filed are for structures located within these zones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay