Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 09:34 AM

2 posts, read 1,766 times

Advertisements

I want to know if I am entitled to a refund of my security deposit after the landlord didn't complete any repairs and I had to move from the leased unit? When I sent a letter asking for a refund the landlord stated he had additional expenses to re-lease the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2014, 10:33 AM

35,692 posts, read 21,049,622 times
the ans is in MYFLORIDA new tenant laws and I think you have a right- but check

Old 02-07-2014, 10:34 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,600,605 times
The answer depends on the terms of your lease/contract and the statutes.

Old 02-07-2014, 10:34 AM

Location: says MA on my license but can be found wandering the beaches of RI
1,432 posts, read 1,822,567 times
Whenever dealing with a landlord-tenant issue, there are many things that can be concluded as being in the right or in the wrong but...it comes down to the technicalities/laws and whether or not you have time time and resources to pursue, assuming you followed all of the steps on your end. It sounds like your actions are after the fact so it may be too late but here are some links for your state in case it helps:

Floridas' Landlord/Tenant Law and Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

Your lease agreement could also contain amendments (that may or may not be binding) so I would check that.

And lastly, depending on the type of issue(s) the landlord was not addressing, you could check with your local town hall. For example, if there was an issue with the plumbing, you could make sure that all work is up to code. There are alot of things landlords have to do (some you would not believe) to be up to code or else they are in violoation.

Again, it is very time consuming to investigate all points but if you're up for it, just make sure you have all your ducks in a row.

Old 02-07-2014, 07:10 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,741,218 times
If the LL fails to take care of repairs than Florida law is very clear how to handle it and not paying rent or just moving is. to the solution.

A tenants to give proper notice as the law requires...which requires proof! If nothing has done within he time frame that is set for that then the tenant has to go to the court register and deposit/pay the rent into the court register and the LL can't file eviction for non payment but the Ll won't get a penny until proof is shown that the repairs have been taken care off.

The requested repairs must be reasonable repairs that a LL is required to do and not just because a tenants feels they are entitled to have performed and for issues which the tenants have caused.

Just today we had a tenant walking in for a place we rented out but don't manage and if you let the tenant talk for a little bit longer than you hear clearly that it is not about the repair but more about the tenant wanting to break the lease without being held liable and using repairs in their defense but in the end it was just a bogus story.

On the other hand we also dealt with slumlords that we no longer want to deal with since we want tenants to be treated well and keep our good name.

There are good and bad on both sides but the scale is uneven since we have seen way more bad tenants then bad owners.

Luckily we also deal with very good tenants and we always are happy when we can give back full security deposit since it makes our lives so much easier.

Old 02-21-2014, 01:16 PM

2 posts, read 1,766 times
My lease states the property was leased "as-is". I don't think this excuses the LL from making necessary repairs. The toilet in the Master bath moved whenever seated. The clay on the tiled floor was crumbling because it wasn't sealed properly causing my dog to become ill and me an allergic reaction. The leasing agent told me the LL would be willing to make some repairs, so we drafted a list and sent first by email and the by snail mail. Three months later still no response, until I threatened to leave. By then I was packed and ready to go. So am I entitled to my security deposit?

Old 02-21-2014, 02:41 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,463,153 times
What did a Lawyer say? You really aren't going to get any firm answer posting this on here. Sorry about that. But I don't think there is a Lawyer that routinely reads these boards.

GOOD LUCK

Old 02-21-2014, 03:08 PM

185 posts, read 318,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dap123 View Post
My lease states the property was leased "as-is".
To be honest……there is your answer.

Old 02-21-2014, 03:17 PM

173 posts, read 449,276 times
I do.

Old 02-24-2014, 09:09 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,741,218 times
Do you have proof of your dog becoming ill form the clay on the floor...you will need proof of that from a Vet and not because you believe that is the cause of your dog to get sick...in court they need official proof from an expert.

The toilet moving is not a cause to stop paying rent but to follow Fl. law to handle it the proper way if the owner doesn't respond to a timely repair fix.

The owner on the other hand can't withhold a security deposit without proof.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay