Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 03:54 AM

72 posts, read 66,095 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, looking for some advice on which neighborhood we should pick for our relocation to Tampa.. We are a couple in our early 30s relocating to Tampa from Fort Myers. We are young professionals. Same-sex couple (if that matters), no children and no pets. One of us will be working at Moffitt Cancer Center on the graveyard shift. The other will also be working night shift at Tampa General. We prefer somewhat walkable neighborhoods (we understand what that means in Florida), breweries, restaurants, performing arts, going to the beach (on occasion), and walking/jogging. We are not into suburbs, country clubs, and gated communities.

Ideally, we are looking for a 2 bed / 2bath. Could be either a condo or a small house, with parking for 2 cars. We don't need much square footage. 900-1000 sq. ft. would suffice. Budget of +/- 2,000$ a month. Could go a little higher if it is furnished. We are okay with a 30 minute or so commute.

We made 3 trips in Tampa for interviews and drove around the neighborhoods. We saw Davis Islands, Harbor Island, Hyde Park, Channelside and Seminole Heights and Downtown St. Pete's. We are of course very into the Downtown St Pete vibe. Unfortunately, it felt just too far from Moffitt to commute (correct me if I am wrong about that). I found Seminole Heights to be a little scary... I did notice however the Craftsman Bungalows that everyone is talking about. I was told to avoid Channelside as it would be too noisy for night shift workers who would need to sleep during the day (true?). Hyde Park of course is beautiful, but I'm not sure it would be within our price range. There didn't seem to be that much for rent on Davis Islands. Harbor Island looks really nice, but again, price seems to be an issue.

We would like your advice as to which neighborhood would suit us best considering our lifestyle and budget. Would there be another area that we should consider?

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2018, 07:29 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,584,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ombrages View Post
I found Seminole Heights to be a little scary...
Just a little scary?

Old 03-16-2018, 09:18 AM

1,277 posts, read 1,089,432 times
I would suggest Channelside. I work in it and its pretty quiet unless you are near one of the new buildings going up. $2,000 is a little tight I believe for a 2/2 but may be able to find a condo/apt. Same sex couples and hippies are in large numbers in the Heights. Tampa Heights and Seminole Heights. The Heights and Ybor has takes the reward I think, if you looking for breweries, bars, and hip non chain places to hang out. Tampa Heights has condos going up and Seminole Heights mostly houses but a few condos going up which will probably be snatched quickly. At 2,000 I think you might be priced out for any of the islands. I think look at the new Condos going up in the Heights, but if you go down a particular street, it might be scary. Welcome to the city of Tampa...

Old 03-16-2018, 11:59 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times
First of all let me say that Tampa Bay area is not an area that you have to bring up your background or sexual preference as I never heard of any area that is not acceptable of people of any background.

Tampa Bay is pretty much a mingle of all backgrounds, religion, etc.

Second, Thanks for working at such a great places as Moffitt and other Hospitals have great people, dedicated to service patients the best.

Carrollwood has for that price range more sqft, than South Tampa.

There are multiple roads that you can take to Fowler/Fletcher if the Interstate gets backed up so you have alternate routes if you decide to move a little further out.

Welcome to Tampa Bay.

Old 03-16-2018, 12:40 PM

5,977 posts, read 7,373,473 times
Parts of Seminole Heights, while pricey, will certainly offer the "vibe" that you're looking for and most likely continue to appreciate handsomely over time. I have a work associate who lives just a few blocks from the Armature Works and they constantly rave about all the great changes that are taking place in that area.

RM

Old 03-16-2018, 12:58 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,012,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
Parts of Seminole Heights, while pricey, will certainly offer the "vibe" that you're looking for and most likely continue to appreciate handsomely over time. I have a work associate who lives just a few blocks from the Armature Works and they constantly rave about all the great changes that are taking place in that area.

RM
Armature would be in Tampa Heights, but I agree, that area is where it's at right now. You'd be minutes (at most) away from Downtown, Ybor, and Seminole Heights.

Old 03-16-2018, 08:16 PM

5,977 posts, read 7,373,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
Armature would be in Tampa Heights, but I agree, that area is where it's at right now. You'd be minutes (at most) away from Downtown, Ybor, and Seminole Heights.
Sorry. Thanks for the clarification.

RM

Old 03-16-2018, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrviking View Post
Just a little scary?
I was there in broad daylight... I can't really say it felt dangerous per se. It just looked very rough around the edges. A few pristinely kept bungalows here and there mixed in with a bunch of shacks. I drove down Florida ave. and most of what I saw were used car dealer lots. I don't know, maybe I just drove down the wrong streets. And then of course there's the serial murderer, which really doesn't help...

Old 03-16-2018, 11:24 PM

Thanks for the numerous and quick answers.

I will look more into Channelside. Right now, online, I am not seeing much for rent below 2000$ a month.

I also saw 2 condos on Harbour Island priced 1800 and 1850$.

The only condos I saw in Tampa Heights were The Pearl, situated right next to Armature Works. I actually visited those. Unfortunately, they are still under construction. The common areas aren't even finished yet... It would definitely pose a problem for night shifters.

Old 03-16-2018, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjairo191 View Post
I would suggest Channelside. I work in it and its pretty quiet unless you are near one of the new buildings going up. $2,000 is a little tight I believe for a 2/2 but may be able to find a condo/apt. Same sex couples and hippies are in large numbers in the Heights. Tampa Heights and Seminole Heights. The Heights and Ybor has takes the reward I think, if you looking for breweries, bars, and hip non chain places to hang out. Tampa Heights has condos going up and Seminole Heights mostly houses but a few condos going up which will probably be snatched quickly. At 2,000 I think you might be priced out for any of the islands. I think look at the new Condos going up in the Heights, but if you go down a particular street, it might be scary. Welcome to the city of Tampa...

Which area of Seminole Heights would you consider Trendy/Hippy? Close to what major intersections?

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay