Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 04:47 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
If you want to take an example from Europe you should have take the Netherlands? Germany is way cheaper in taxes then Holland and tax on buying a car and gas is 21% than you have the tax to drive on the road and that goes by the weight of the car and on top of that the annual mandatory check ups and now they added mandatory winter tires for all cars! regardless no snow or snow and most winters there is no snow.

if that is what you want and bring all your money to the government, then people who love that system should move there and enjoy it...not as a vacation and saying how beautiful it is and how nice the coffee shops are and the red light district...no paying the taxes that is making people not enjoying working hard anymore!
Because I posted information about the German system of taxing of large vehicles doesn't mean I agree with it. I was simply posting a response to someone who thought SUVs should be outlawed/banned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 05:00 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,741,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Because I posted information about the German system of taxing of large vehicles doesn't mean I agree with it. I was simply posting a response to someone who thought SUVs should be outlawed/banned.
I didn't mean you when I said that people who like that system should move there...I know you posted an example.

It is more for people who like the OP want to get rid of SUV's because they kill but people get killed in Europe too in small cars....cars don't kill, the drivers do!

Sorry if it came across different...Europe and their rules are getting on my nerves since I have a lot of family in Western Europe who get hit hard year after year with more taxes and less health care and higher costs and it is difficult to hear and see it and people over here only seeing the charm of it but not the consequences.

This morning even had a government official calling for gay people to go to a big chain grocery store and all to start kissing in the store because the manager of one if these stores had asked a gay couple to leave the store after they started to kiss inside the store....things are so over the top, it is not even funny anymore!

Old 02-18-2014, 05:03 AM

Sorry, my fault. Somewhat defensive today -Agree - there's no way Americans would allow the gov't to eliminate the staple SUV. Pretty much un-American (especially since most pick up trucks nowadays have the same size/mpg as SUVs). I do get a kick out of the SUV drivers are bullies stereotype comment. As a former SUV owner who got tired of paying for 18 miles/gal, I can tell you that my driving was much more cautious in the SUV knowing my stopping distance, my chance for rollovers with an over correction of steering was very high. Calling SUV owners "bullies" is similar to the stereotype of BMW drivers being snobs.

Old 02-18-2014, 05:38 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,008,211 times
Quote:
I didn't paraphrase anything. It was a direct quote from the link. Paraphrasing means "rewording".

Alcohol has been part of our society for as long as we've been a nation - we've tried to eliminate it. Remember prohibition? Flawed argument.
Ken Burns documentary on prohibition is super interesting.

Old 02-18-2014, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
Ken Burns documentary on prohibition is super interesting.
I'll definitely watch it. I didn't realize he made a documentary on that subject. Burns' stuff is aways outstanding. Thanks again.

I never took a course in logic in college. I signed up for a course in undergrad at USF but quickly dropped it when I couldn't understand the professor d/t his Indian accent. But anyway, anyone who has taken a course in logic can identify the flaw in the argument (circular argument/slippery slope/red herring?) when alcohol is introduced to support legalizing marijuana. That's another thread altogether though.

Old 02-18-2014, 06:55 AM

790 posts, read 1,268,155 times
Wanted a motorcycle at one point (streetbike) in my early 20s, did some research and after seeing article after article of some idiot SUV killing a motorcyclist, decided not to get one. If I lived in Nevada in the desert maybe, but not floriDUH.

Old 02-18-2014, 07:44 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,898,341 times
Quote:
I didn't paraphrase anything. It was a direct quote from the link. Paraphrasing means "rewording".

Alcohol has been part of our society for as long as we've been a nation - we've tried to eliminate it. Remember prohibition? Flawed argument.
And very soon the same will be for pot, just legally like alcohol is.

Old 02-18-2014, 07:54 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,008,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
This morning even had a government official calling for gay people to go to a big chain grocery store and all to start kissing in the store because the manager of one if these stores had asked a gay couple to leave the store after they started to kiss inside the store....things are so over the top, it is not even funny anymore!
I don't know anything about the story but it seems to me that unless they ban all PDA even for straight couples then the gay couple has a legitimate grievance. You cant have different rules for gays and straights. BTW the OP doesnt want to ban SUV's by his previous posts I doubt he wants to ban anything except maybe abortion, he is drawing a parallel between people dying in accidents and no public outcry, but people die from guns and there is an (imaginary IMO) call to ban guns, I thought when he said Assault SUVs really gave it away, at any rate SUV are safer if you thing of cars in terms of bumper cars, but if you factor in the rollover propensity, increased blind spots I doubt they are any safer than a midsize sedan, having said that there is a premium for driving an SUV if everyone drove an SUV there would be more congestion, less parking, intensified energy crisis. I drive an SUV with all the flooding around here I would be fine with paying a higher registration or something similar.

Last edited by DUNNDFRNT; 02-18-2014 at 08:08 AM..

Old 02-18-2014, 11:23 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Large trucks and SUVs are automatically paying more tax than smaller vehicles as they consume more gas and therefor pay more tax at the pump..

Old 02-18-2014, 11:27 AM

819 posts, read 1,408,822 times
Trucks pay more in registration fees too; I have a 3/4 ton pickup and that's classified as a 'large truck' by the tax collector.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay