Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 11:02 AM
jon jon started this thread

49 posts, read 268,873 times

Advertisements

We moved from Tampa to Cumming Ga three years ago. we had a good job opportunity and decided to take it.Well now we have an offer to return to Tampa. Has anyone moved to Georgia and then returned to Tampa and regret their decision? There was a reason we wanted to move, we were wanting a change and thought moving to Georgia was a good decision. Now,almost three years later we miss Florida. There is much more to do outdoors in Tampa than here and the winter starts here in November and it doesn't end until March. The traffic is ridiculous compared to Tampa, and its been very hard to meet people here. We have life long friends in Tampa that we miss and ofcouse the lifestyle. The only good thing I can see up here is people are more friendly in your everyday life.Thanks in Advance for any advice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 02:50 PM

676 posts, read 1,264,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon View Post
We moved from Tampa to Cumming Ga three years ago. we had a good job opportunity and decided to take it.Well now we have an offer to return to Tampa. Has anyone moved to Georgia and then returned to Tampa and regret their decision? There was a reason we wanted to move, we were wanting a change and thought moving to Georgia was a good decision. Now,almost three years later we miss Florida. There is much more to do outdoors in Tampa than here and the winter starts here in November and it doesn't end until March. The traffic is ridiculous compared to Tampa, and its been very hard to meet people here. We have life long friends in Tampa that we miss and of couse the lifestyle. The only good thing I can see up here is people are more friendly in your everyday life.Thanks in Advance for any advice
I didn't move away and come back but I (we) did move from Powder Springs to Apollo Beach. So far, we love it. I miss my friends and some family in Georgia but I can drive up and visit anytime.

Your post tells me that your mind is already made up. I say make the move and you'll experience no regrets.

Old 02-19-2014, 03:21 PM
jon jon started this thread

49 posts, read 268,873 times
Apollo Beach is great it really built up over the past few years. I like Georgia but there is so much more to do in Florida. I just have some anxiety over the move (especially with kids). It took a lot for us to leave Florida (Tampa), and we're not crazy about change. That being said this may be one of the last opportunities to return (and it is a really good offer) Thanks Again

Old 02-19-2014, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Apollo Beach is great it really built up over the past few years. I like Georgia but there is so much more to do in Florida. I just have some anxiety over the move (especially with kids). It took a lot for us to leave Florida (Tampa), and we're not crazy about change. That being said this may be one of the last opportunities to return (and it is a really good offer) Thanks Again
Going back to where you were won't be as big a change as moving to Georgia.

Old 02-19-2014, 03:31 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,011,809 times
Quote:
We moved from Tampa to Cumming Ga three years ago. we had a good job opportunity and decided to take it.Well now we have an offer to return to Tampa. Has anyone moved to Georgia and then returned to Tampa and regret their decision? There was a reason we wanted to move, we were wanting a change and thought moving to Georgia was a good decision. Now,almost three years later we miss Florida. There is much more to do outdoors in Tampa than here and the winter starts here in November and it doesn't end until March. The traffic is ridiculous compared to Tampa, and its been very hard to meet people here. We have life long friends in Tampa that we miss and ofcouse the lifestyle. The only good thing I can see up here is people are more friendly in your everyday life.Thanks in Advance for any advice
Sounds like a move back to Tampa is what you need to do to make you happy, however what can you do in Tampa that you cant do in Georgia?
Also from my northern perspective Georgia may have a cool snap or a bit of snow but winter from November to March Make the move home and enjoy.
I left St Petersburg/Florida 40 years ago and never felt the need to return for anything more than vacation to visit friends and family

Old 02-19-2014, 03:45 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,231,199 times
Can't imagine Lake Lanier area would be boring - and ATL is nearby. I could live up there - I've been re-looking the GA-SC border towns lately. Miss the country, hills, pines, golf courses there - lakes. There's a ton to do here in Tampa/STP/Sarasota - but the geography can be boring. On another note, take a trip to FLA every year to get your fill of the beaches, weather - then return to good old Georgia living.

Old 02-19-2014, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Can't imagine Lake Lanier area would be boring - and ATL is nearby. I could live up there - I've been re-looking the GA-SC border towns lately. Miss the country, hills, pines, golf courses there - lakes. There's a ton to do here in Tampa/STP/Sarasota - but the geography can be boring. On another note, take a trip to FLA every year to get your fill of the beaches, weather - then return to good old Georgia living.
The GA-NC border is nice also. I like the Asheville area.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:05 PM

554 posts, read 973,583 times
Go where you will be happy. Life is to short to not be where you want to be. I left st Pete last year to go back to ga. Now I am in the process of moving back to St. Pete.

Old 02-19-2014, 09:31 PM

389 posts, read 797,923 times
Quote:
Re-read your post- it sounds like you have already made up your mind

1.) You moved for a job, now can have job in tampa again
2.) You wanted a change but the change did not meet your expectations (they rarely do, grass always greener)
3.) You're outdoor people
4.) Traffic is worse than Tampa, I find that extremely hard to believe
5.) All your friends are in Tampa

People more friendly in Georgia? I suppose I can see that. I've only been in Tampa for 2.5 years but I can see how people believe Tampa folk aren't that friendly. Probably has something to do with the fact that people are always in a hurry down here and FL is kind of a transient state.

Just my .02 cents worth

Old 02-19-2014, 10:00 PM

226 posts, read 337,376 times
Well, coming from a GA gal dying to move to Tampa Bay...I found people there a lot friendlier then in GA-by a huge margin. Perhaps it's the county/area I'm in. I've been in this state for almost 20 years and I still have a very small social circle. Everyone is too busy here to sit back and enjoy the weather, water and outdoors in a more relaxed lifestyle. We're busy rushing and living the rat race.

It's true, MUCH more outdoor stuff to do there, it's just conducive to want to do things -here it's home, traffic, work, traffic, errands, traffic, traffic, traffic, crowded lines, crowded grocery shopping, un-synchronized traffic lights, more traffic.

Yes, I experienced some traffic in Pinellas but not NEARLY as bad as here. I say make the move and don't look back, come back to visit the traffic (and GA) once in a while.

The only issue that keeps me here right now is trying to update my home which is $$ and save $$ for a move...and then add to that my job here is very secure, with a lot of vacation time and flexibility for life/work balance-so starting over is a little daunting. I was trying to get there before my boys start highschool (1.5 years) but not sure if it'll be then or maybe a year in.

Go, make the move is my vote
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay