U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 09:33 PM

294 posts, read 473,728 times

Advertisements

I tried to search past posts but it kept saying there were no results?? So I'm curious, what are the best beaches for kids that are under 10 yrs old (8 and 6)?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014, 02:00 AM

35,318 posts, read 45,171,660 times
Not sure what qualifies as best beach but if the kids just want to run around in the water and play with sand Pass-a-Grille would be hard to beat.

From the roof of the Hurricane restaurant it looks like this.http://activerain.com/image_store/up...7517019534.jpg

Old 02-21-2014, 04:11 AM

819 posts, read 1,116,987 times
Fort De Soto is great for families if you want lots of space without other people bugging you or worrying about your kids running into others' stuff.

Old 02-21-2014, 07:01 AM

22,958 posts, read 34,145,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Not sure what qualifies as best beach but if the kids just want to run around in the water and play with sand Pass-a-Grille would be hard to beat. From the roof of the Hurricane restaurant it looks like this.http://activerain.com/image_store/up...7517019534.jpg
I agree, I love Pass-A-Grille Beach! If you want something a bit closer from Tampa/inland areas for instance check out Indian Rocks Beach. Like Pass-A-Grille Beach, it has height restrictions on buildings so it doesn't have the wall of highrises like the rest of the immediate coast. The sand is nice (similar to Clearwater Beach but not as powdery) and has a fairly wide beach separated from the street/parking by dunes/vegetation and is never crowded. There are also many places to eat walking distance from the beach so you don't have to lose your parking space should you decide to go grab something to eat.

Old 02-21-2014, 08:30 AM

1,750 posts, read 1,814,003 times
While I like Pinellas county beaches (i.e. Indian Rocks, John's Pass, Pass-a-Grille etc, I find myself crossing Skyway into Manatee county way too often lately. Anna Maria Isl has a FLA Keys feel, plus there's some pretty nice parks (Emerson Point Preserve in Palmetto/Desoto National memorial in Bradenton).

Ft Desoto is nice too in Pinellas but haven't been there a couple yrs now(since they put that $5 toll to get in the park).

Old 02-21-2014, 08:58 AM

226 posts, read 294,298 times
Having been a visitor there, Ft. Desoto takes my vote....there are a couple of areas, the one by the dog beach...water a little 'greener' and very pool like...has great fishing on the pier. YOu can also clearly see the Sunshine Skyway bridge. We found crab, live sand-dollars, saw Pelicans diving, birds just chilling around, fish everywhere, saw a couple of sting rays.

Further up (next entrance, not sure if it's North?) the beach is picture card perfect, more waves, just breathtaking..and the kids have all the Ft, cannons, old battle area to explore. Pretty darn neat.

They have grill/picnic areas, it's really something to experience.

My advice? Spend the day there, then on the way back later afternoon, stop in Pass-a-Grille and have dinner at one of those beach front places (Hurricane, etc) and enjoy the gorgeous sunset.

We did that, my boys being teens just walked across the streed while we enjoyed our drinks (waiting to order food) to play in the water. We saw an amazing sunset we cannot forget. It has a great vibe also.

So yeah, Ft. De Soto (start early) then about 1hr before sunset time head to Pass-A-Grille for dinner-can't go wrong. WELL worth the $5 toll.

We were staying in Dunedin so it was a drive for us, worth the drive, the toll..all of it.

Check out tripadvisor reviews/pictures of it.

Old 02-21-2014, 08:52 PM

294 posts, read 473,728 times
I have been to North beach before because we were camping in Ft DeSoto (which was awesome) and that beach was gorgeous!!! I just haven't been to any other beaches on the west coast. By family friendly I meant not a lot of 'partiers' etc on the beaches more geared to families with kids. Up here you have your family beaches at the Cape and then there's the 'party' beaches..you can still take kids but there's a lot of riff raff.

Old 02-22-2014, 09:14 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,589,608 times
Ft. DeSoto gets my bet! Pass-a-Grille is a close second, followed by Clearwater and Honeymoon Island. Don't head any further north than Honeymoon though - the beaches in Pasco and Hernando counties are pretty gross, in my opinion. Sometimes when we went to Pine Island when we lived in Hernando County my kids would get sick from swimming in the water there, and many times the water was closed due to high bacterial counts.

Old 02-22-2014, 09:24 AM

2,727 posts, read 4,662,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
While I like Pinellas county beaches (i.e. Indian Rocks, John's Pass, Pass-a-Grille etc, I find myself crossing Skyway into Manatee county way too often lately. Anna Maria Isl has a FLA Keys feel, plus there's some pretty nice parks (Emerson Point Preserve in Palmetto/Desoto National memorial in Bradenton).

Ft Desoto is nice too in Pinellas but haven't been there a couple yrs now(since they put that $5 toll to get in the park).
I hope you were not discouraged by the few bucks ($5) and drive all the way to Anna Maria .

We need to pay a little bit for the luxury of having such a great beach, JMO.

Old 02-22-2014, 06:25 PM

1,750 posts, read 1,814,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDenudinFL View Post
I hope you were not discouraged by the few bucks ($5) and drive all the way to Anna Maria .

We need to pay a little bit for the luxury of having such a great beach, JMO.
Not really, I just thought I should explore Manatee cty beaches more. Been almost everywhere in Pinellas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay