U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 05:28 AM

27,798 posts, read 27,056,342 times

Advertisements

911 caller: Hillsborough deputy killed in wrong-way crash saved my life | Tampa Bay Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2016, 06:46 AM

351 posts, read 224,817 times
For any traffic accident due to drunk driving, I think the time as finally come to enact a new law: one strike you're out, meaning, if you are found guilty of driving while under the influence, your license is taken away, forever, period. While this will not fix all the problems, it should save some lives. The math equation is simple: you drive drunk, you lose your license forever.

Old 03-17-2016, 09:45 AM

3,313 posts, read 4,441,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Student66 View Post
For any traffic accident due to drunk driving, I think the time as finally come to enact a new law: one strike you're out, meaning, if you are found guilty of driving while under the influence, your license is taken away, forever, period. While this will not fix all the problems, it should save some lives. The math equation is simple: you drive drunk, you lose your license forever.
It will NOT safe any lives. People will be driving without a license. Period.
What could be done? I don't have an answer, but for now maybe more check points randomly pulling drivers (and not only near USF campus...)... In the future I would love to see some kind of device in the car that will turn on car only if there are no alcohol in your system... I would also love to see cars that are disable cell phones while driving.

Old 03-17-2016, 10:18 AM

150 posts, read 102,217 times
Quote:
Tampa is a city with poor transit. We don't have good bus systems or rails. How in the world are drunk people supposed to get home? I agree. Take an uber...that's what I do. But we need better transit now!

Old 03-17-2016, 06:06 PM

27,798 posts, read 27,056,342 times
Gotta wonder about the engineering allowing cars to enter.....in this case, I could see the contract company running Selmon getting sued by the family of the officer. The roadway has to be protected/safeguarded against a driver getting around the barriers.

Old 03-17-2016, 06:38 PM

35,254 posts, read 43,044,624 times
Time for spikes to catch people going the wrong way=
http://www.secure-lane.com/publishIm...element311.png
accompanied with large prominent signage=
http://tigerteethusa.com/assets/imag...STOPJPG2in.jpg

Old 03-18-2016, 12:37 AM

351 posts, read 224,817 times
Not save ANY lives? I'm not sure if any data can be provided to support such a claim. As for some device which makes the car unable to drive, sounds good, but, what does that say about humanity? That says that humanity is incapable of actually doing the right thing. Better transit? I agree.

Old 03-18-2016, 06:29 AM

35,254 posts, read 43,044,624 times
Quote:
. As for some device which makes the car unable to drive, sounds good, but, what does that say about humanity? That says that humanity is incapable of actually doing the right thing. Better transit? I agree.
We arent talking about all of humanity just the occasional moron who decides to drive up an interstate the wrong way.

Old 03-18-2016, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishbu123 View Post
Tampa is a city with poor transit. We don't have good bus systems or rails. How in the world are drunk people supposed to get home? I agree. Take an uber...that's what I do. But we need better transit now!
there will be no transit ever in Tampa. After speed rail was turned by this dick, all public transit agencies are backed out from their plans. If speed rail was to come, all agencies had developed plans to improve coverage for entire Tampa Bay area... So, not it's mainly cub/uber/non-drinking friend. Cannot afford? Drink at home where you don't need to drive to and from...

Old 03-18-2016, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Not save ANY lives? I'm not sure if any data can be provided to support such a claim. As for some device which makes the car unable to drive, sounds good, but, what does that say about humanity? That says that humanity is incapable of actually doing the right thing. Better transit? I agree.
Are are saying if drivers licenses will be taken out from people with DUI these people will not be driving including when they are under influence again? How old are you? Stop dreaming. People drive without license daily, drunk or not. So, your solution will not change a thing, really. Unfortunately we don't live in perfect world...

Humanity??? So it's ok to take out DL and not ok to install device that will test for alcohol... Figure out what you think is better already
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or