U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 04:30 PM

16 posts, read 74,771 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am planning a move to the Tampa area from Central NJ in the next 3 months. I have been searching for homes in the Seffner and New Tampa areas, and would like some information from people who know about those areas. I am in my late 30's, single, and will probably be working in the downtown Tampa area. I am trying to avoid commuting more than 30 minutes to work, and definitely want to live in a safe area (if there is such a thing). Being near a larger city with access to the arts and some nightlife is a plus. So, which town would be the better bet? Any other suggestions are welcome.
Thanks,
Jane
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2007, 05:16 PM

Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
4,246 posts, read 4,398,425 times
Seffner really borders on being rural and not at all like New Tampa. I'm not sure why you would be comparing the two, as they are not at all alike.

New Tampa is nice, but you will never have a 30 minute commute to Tampa if you work normal business hours.

Tell us more...

RM

Old 12-02-2007, 06:07 PM

3,927 posts, read 10,646,817 times
Hi Jane,

The homes in Seffner are cheaper compared to New Tampa, but neither is convenient to Downtown. Much of New Tampa has CDDs along with city taxes where most of Seffner pays neither. If possible, determine your office location first and let that help guide your decision.

If you don't mind condo living, check into Skypointe, Hyde Park Place, Grand Central, Madison, and even Channelside has come down in price. With all the inventory, there's a great selection and with many of these, you can walk to work downtown.

TampaKaren.

Last edited by TampaKaren; 12-02-2007 at 06:31 PM..

Old 12-02-2007, 06:19 PM

192 posts, read 1,095,763 times
Seffner: Pickups and pit bulls....swigging long-neck Buds on Saturday night while listening to country music...

New Tampa: BMW's and Volvos......the occasional round of golf.....listening to Dave Matthews tunes while knocking back a blue martini......

Old 12-02-2007, 10:03 PM

942 posts, read 1,145,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonynorie View Post
Seffner: Pickups and pit bulls....swigging long-neck Buds on Saturday night while listening to country music...

New Tampa: BMW's and Volvos......the occasional round of golf.....listening to Dave Matthews tunes while knocking back a blue martini......
Perfect description, I had to laugh from 3000 miles away.

Old 12-03-2007, 12:16 PM

27,798 posts, read 27,984,584 times
Lived in Seffner area many years ago when that was all I could afford. I don't recommend it - I don't think the drive to downtown Tampa is within your 30 mins, either.

I'd recommend Riverview or Brandon near the 301/I-75 area - quicker drive (Selmon Expressway, more to offer nearby).

Old 12-03-2007, 12:22 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,196,839 times
new tampa is very safe and normal bordering on sterile and uppity.

Old 12-06-2007, 08:37 AM

1,480 posts, read 4,632,308 times
"Being near a larger city with access to the arts and some nightlife is a plus."

Neither Seffner nor New Tampa will give you what you're looking for. Both are remote suburbs, and they descriptions here are accurate (and funny). Tampa itself is not booming with arts and nightlife, but it can be found. Commuting from either town will be misserable. I strongly recommend looking at some of the older houses around Tampa Heights, Riverside Heights, or some parts of Seminole Heights. You might also like South Tampa, between Kennedy and Gandy Blvd. Hyde Park is lovely but expensive. Palma Ciea is a nice neighborhood near nightlife, too. You will hate Tampa Palms or Seffner, there's a reason houses are so much less there. Tampa Palms has one road in and one road out. Seffner has I-4 and I-75 junctions and I-4 and I-275 near downtown, known as "malfunction junction." Both will be about an hour commute to downtown.

Old 12-19-2007, 08:14 AM

16 posts, read 74,771 times
WoW. Thanks all. I was considering Seffner because my realtor told me it would be about a 30 minute commute to work downtown. Tonynorie's description was hillarious! If it is accurate I would be very unhappy there. All replies indicate that the New Tampa, Wesley Chapel area is big on rush hour congestion - Valrico too. In searching for homes, I find that the homes in the newer developments have tiny land lots. Is there anyplace in the area where one can live Redneck-free and still have a decent sized yard?

Old 12-19-2007, 08:25 AM

1,824 posts, read 7,800,273 times
What is your budget? Would you be willing to live within the city Limits? Are you ok with older homes? Have you looked in South Tampa? It is relatively safe, nearby downtown, arts and nighlife, and there are every imaginable type of homes and lot sizes available. Just a thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or