U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 02-26-2014, 05:45 PM
 
Location: Atlanta, GA
141 posts, read 262,062 times
Reputation: 89

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering moving to Tampa from Atlanta in about 2 years. We own our home in Atlanta and would prefer to rent for about a year before buying so that we can get a better feel for the area. My concern is that we have four pets (3 dogs and a cat) and from the research I've done it seems like many, if not most, rentals do not allow pets. We're coming from a very pet-friendly city. When we rented we had no problem finding a rental that was welcoming of our pets. Our dogs are all small (10, 20, and 25 lbs). Will finding a rental in Tampa be a challenge with four pets? What should we expect?

Also, our move is still a ways in the future but I like to do my research. Advice on areas would be great. We're in our early 30s, no children but may have one by the time we move so good public schools are important. We're not into nightlife, but like good restaurants, coffee shops, parks, and libraries. Safety is our top priority. We're progressive minded people and would prefer to live around like minded folks. It's not necessary that we live in Tampa proper. My husband will be transferring with his job and it requires him to travel to different sites in the metro area, so we don't want to be too far out. So far as prices go, probably up to $1000 for a rental and up to $150K if we buy. I'm not sure how feasible this is, so that's why I'm hoping y'all can chime in!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-26-2014, 05:56 PM
 
Location: Tampa/St Pete
14 posts, read 16,479 times
Reputation: 20
Are you looking for like cookie cutter suburb? Near the beach? Are you going to be commuting to downtown tampa?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2014, 06:01 PM
 
Location: St. Pete/ ATL
185 posts, read 287,378 times
Reputation: 137
Atlanta native here

I can only give my 2 cents from the research I've done and my recents visits to the area. I've found quite the opposite both in Tampa and on the St Petersburg side. Every apartment I called and stepped foot on to view were dog friendly and trust me I visited plenty apartments. From ones that looked nice on paper but were a bit sketchy when you arrived to brand spank new with every amenity you could want and then some.
There are even a few that don't have a weight limit.

What you can expect is the following (again based on what I have encountered, not saying this is the end all be all)
: Most apartments have a two dog max
: Most have breed restrictions (basically no aggrieve breeds)
: Nearly all charge pet rent (can range anywhere from $10 to $25) <--I hate this as Ive never had to pay it and now I will have too because the apt meets all of my other needs ..sigh.
: Pretty much all will charge you a pet fee and/or deposit. The fee is non refundable and the deposit is refundable.
: You will have to pick up after dog as all of them have the little waste stations.
: A lot of the apartments have bark parks Great way to exercise the dog and meet other dogs and their owners/neighbors



HTH
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2014, 06:03 PM
 
Location: Atlanta, GA
141 posts, read 262,062 times
Reputation: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeePage View Post
Are you looking for like cookie cutter suburb? Near the beach? Are you going to be commuting to downtown tampa?
We're really open. Cookie cutter is fine so long as it fits our needs. Older neighborhoods are fine too. Right now we live in an older urban neighborhood. Sometimes the idea of living in a newer neighborhood is appealing. Ideally I'd like a more open floor plan and a garage would be a dream come true. But I also don't want to live in a restrictive HOA community. Living near the beach would be wonderful, but my idea of being "near the beach" may be different than yours. If I can be there in less than an hour then I would consider that to be close. Like I said, my husband has to travel to different locations in the metro area so he won't have a standard daily commute. His company's office is located in downtown Tampa, but he wouldn't be traveling there too often. I would likely look for work once we get settled.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2014, 06:10 PM
 
Location: Atlanta, GA
141 posts, read 262,062 times
Reputation: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachInTheCity View Post
Atlanta native here

I can only give my 2 cents from the research I've done and my recents visits to the area. I've found quite the opposite both in Tampa and on the St Petersburg side. Every apartment I called and stepped foot on to view were dog friendly and trust me I visited plenty apartments. From ones that looked nice on paper but were a bit sketchy when you arrived to brand spank new with every amenity you could want and then some.
There are even a few that don't have a weight limit.

What you can expect is the following (again based on what I have encountered, not saying this is the end all be all)
: Most apartments have a two dog max
: Most have breed restrictions (basically no aggrieve breeds)
: Nearly all charge pet rent (can range anywhere from $10 to $25) <--I hate this as Ive never had to pay it and now I will have too because the apt meets all of my other needs ..sigh.
: Pretty much all will charge you a pet fee and/or deposit. The fee is non refundable and the deposit is refundable.
: You will have to pick up after dog as all of them have the little waste stations.
: A lot of the apartments have bark parks Great way to exercise the dog and meet other dogs and their owners/neighbors



HTH
Hello fellow Atlantan! Yes, that does help a lot. It sounds like the two dog max is what will get us. I'm thinking it may be easier to work with individual landlords as opposed to apartment complexes. I've heard of pet rent, but have never encountered it in Atlanta. I expect a pet deposit though. Hopefully we can find something refundable (a deposit, not a fee). I've never had an issue with my pets being destructive and have always received deposits back in the past.
Have you found it easier to work with individual landlords? It would be nice if we could find a small house or townhome. Something with a private yard would be amazing.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2014, 06:20 PM
 
Location: St. Pete/ ATL
185 posts, read 287,378 times
Reputation: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish27 View Post
Have you found it easier to work with individual landlords? It would be nice if we could find a small house or townhome. Something with a private yard would be amazing.
I only have one dog right now. 4 yr old 13lb Chi So I haven't had any issues with worrying about being restricted.

I wouldn't completely rule out complexes though. I've lived places (in Charlotte and Jax) were I had neighbors who had 3 dogs with no issue. Just depends on the place as some do allow 3 dogs, especially ones as small as yours.

Only thing I hate is this pet rent mess. Never had to pay it and was able to avoid it up until now. My need to stay in a nice area, in something up to date and safe with individually metered water and a w/d included was most important.

As for renting from an actual person or rental company I would strongly suggest using zillow and trulia to see what is available!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2014, 06:21 PM
 
Location: Tampa, FL
877 posts, read 1,712,911 times
Reputation: 746
Invitation Homes has rentals that allow up to 4 pets.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2014, 06:05 AM
 
Location: Tampa/St Pete
14 posts, read 16,479 times
Reputation: 20
I would really look at coming down 1st and maybe staying in an extended stay or short term furnished lease. In my opinion, while this is past the bottom this is still really the time to buy. If you wait it out you are going to kick yourself in 2-3 years. I am not one to say come to an area and immediately buy unless you are looking at condos etc., but I think you can have a good idea of areas you like in 1-3 months...
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2014, 08:24 AM
 
Location: The Villages, Florida
673 posts, read 1,118,123 times
Reputation: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeePage View Post
I would really look at coming down 1st and maybe staying in an extended stay or short term furnished lease. In my opinion, while this is past the bottom this is still really the time to buy. If you wait it out you are going to kick yourself in 2-3 years. I am not one to say come to an area and immediately buy unless you are looking at condos etc., but I think you can have a good idea of areas you like in 1-3 months...
I agree completely about buying now! Prices are up in Apollo Beach where we bought a year ago. I alos recommend coming down for 3-5 days and looking around. You will find soemthing that works for you if you have your criteria mapped out, have researched the internet and used it to determine which communities you like, and, use a real estate agent to help you to find a perfect fit for you.

We moved from Powder Springs to Mirabay late last year:

MiraBay by Newland Communities | Waterfront Living | New Homes for Sale | Tampa, FL
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2014, 01:17 PM
 
226 posts, read 295,017 times
Reputation: 214
Hi there, another fellow Atlantan here...we are planning on a move in a couple years also. Going again on vacation this year.

Have you checked out Safety Harbor, Dunedin, Palm Harbor? Those areas are my favorites, good schools also for the future. We're in our mid and late 30's, but our kids are entering HS now. Dunedin has an awesome little downtown area, as does S. Harbor...Dunedin is super close to Honeymoon Island and Caladesi
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top