Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 05:57 AM

83 posts, read 346,350 times

Advertisements

Yes, it sounds like you would definitely be happier closer to the beach. Rocky Point is a lovely area with lots of water on the outskirts of Clearwater. You would still have to drive awhile to get to the beach. Rocky Point has a makeshift beach often referred to as the "redneck riviera", lol. I wouldn't actually get in that water but a lot of locals enjoy rollerblading, jogging, or just sunbathing over there.

Again, you should be a little specific about your price range. Clearwater is a booming area and you would definitely be close to the beach. It just depends on what you are willing to pay. You probably won't get as much for your dollar there as you would someplace further away from the beaches. There are many beautiful beach towns such as Clearwater, Treasure Island, Indian Rocks, Redington Shores, St. Pete, Sarasota, etc. Many of them are going to be expensive but it doesn't hurt to check around and find out where the lowest prices are. At least as a single person you don't require as much SF or bedrooms in an apt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2006, 04:17 PM

2,539 posts, read 4,086,723 times
Thumbs up In Tampa

I have two daughters, one single and the other married. They both live in Carrolwood and both love it. It's close to the beaches and everything else, appartments, restuarants, shopes and employment. The people are just people like anywhere else. Lots of friendly people.

Old 10-24-2006, 05:31 PM
cee

32 posts, read 178,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramelboo View Post
Hello. I currently live in GA and am thinking of moving to the Tampa, FL area sometime in the early part of next year. I am thinking of coming out to visit the area, but I wanted to know your opinion of it. Is it a nice area for a single girl, such as things to do, great job market (I'm a graphic artist), great place to settle down and have a family, low housing/rentals, safety? Or should I choose another area close to Tampa? I especially love the beach, but heard that you have to drive a ways from Tampa to get to one. Anyway, any ideas or suggestions for me? Thanks a lot!
depends on where in GA you're coming from, i went to college in Atlanta, and Tampa is like atlanta's little brother. virginia highlands (atl) = south howard (tpa), buckhead (atl) = ybor (tpa), midtown (atl) = channelside (tpa).

growing up here, the only qualms i have is when i go out, i bump into a lot of people from the past. it was nice and pleasant at first when coming from college, but it gets annoying because it's a constant reminder how much my life has change and how much i've moved on.. HOWEVER, if you're not from here, the social life can be real fun. like anywhere else, it gets old, and living in both ATL and TPA, i have gotten kind of numb to both.

What you heard about the drive to the beach is true. Tampa is at least a half-hour drive to the beach, because the interbay is not a beach, but seawall. half hour because most of that time is spend crossing the bridge and driving THROUGH the city streets of pinellas county.

tough call, but being biased, i wouldn't live in pinellas county. i know DT st. pete is making strides for nightlife, but as a whole, tampa is where most of the nightlife resides. unfortunately, you can't live next to the beach AND enjoy a multitude of nightlife around here. there are bars/clubs scattered across pinellas, but nothing like hillsborough county.

Old 10-24-2006, 06:05 PM

244 posts, read 814,652 times
Thanks for the advice everyone. I think what I might do is to go out to the Tampa area and the surrounding areas and just check them out, as well as check into employment and apartment prices. I currently live in a suburb of Atlanta and rent here is expensive in some areas. Atlanta is an okay city, but I am ready for a change of environment. It does not feel like home to me and I have been out here for five years. Do you know, as far as jobs is concerned, if your salary will make up for the high rent prices in Tampa? In other words, do jobs out there pay pretty well or is it on the low end? The apartments I have lived in out here have been in the $600-$700 range, so I am looking to be at least $600 or less. My current apartment is in the $700's and I can no longer afford it due to a change in my job. But if you want a nice apartment out here in a nice area, expect to pay $700 plus. $600 or less will usually put you in a ghetto-like area. Is the Tampa area like this too? Cheap rent, bad area. High rent, good area?

Old 10-24-2006, 07:25 PM

75 posts, read 334,831 times
Hey boo.

Actually, most people I know got paid less here than when they moved to Atlanta, and I often hear people complain about their jobs in Tampa once they move here form another part of the country due to bad pay. My wife and I live on the water and currently pay $1,800 a month for a 2/3 with a garage. To live anywhere near the beach, I don't think you will find anything (small 1/1) for less than $1000 unless you get really lucky. I don't live on the beach though, so maybe someone else can give you better insight. I live at Rocky Point which is on the Bay.

Old 10-24-2006, 10:49 PM
cee

32 posts, read 178,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimSlade View Post
Hey boo.

Actually, most people I know got paid less here than when they moved to Atlanta, and I often hear people complain about their jobs in Tampa once they move here form another part of the country due to bad pay.
Tampa's pay scale is pretty crappy relative to what you would find in the bigger cities. the cost of living is obviously cheaper, but in many ways, it may not be cheap enough to keep people from moving to places like atlanta. in terms of salaries and renting, i feel as if salaries in cities like atlanta are higher, but the cost of renting in tampa are a tad bit cheaper. so take that however you will

Old 10-25-2006, 05:55 AM

I have to agree with the others. I don't think you will find your salary to compensate with the higher apt. prices here compared to Atlanta. A lot of folks complain that they can't afford their housing because their job doesn't pay enough, minimum wage of course hasn't changed in years, and housing costs in Fl have increased dramatically in recent years.

I can tell you that if rental housing near the beach was $600-700 a month I would be there in a heartbeat You can't even find anything that cheap in some of the shady neighborhoods of Tampa which are far from the beach. The other poster who said you would probably be paying near $1000 a month is probably right. You may find something a little less or a little more, but highly unlikely to be less than that and in a safe area unless you have pretty low standards. Let's just say a lot more people would be living closer to the beach if it was that cheap.

Old 10-25-2006, 06:26 PM

244 posts, read 814,652 times
I can understand about getting underpaid and having high living expenses. Well, since I am starting to reconsider Tampa, are there any other cities in Florida that may be a good fit for me? Hopefully it will be near a beach.

Old 10-26-2006, 06:06 AM

Nothing near the beach is going to be $600-700 a month in the state of Fl unless you just get extremely lucky. Now I always feel like if I want something bad enough, I'll go for it so don't give up on looking but you definitely need a backup plan since find that isn't likely.

Fl is a big state so I don't really know where else to steer you. I do believe you can find your price range in cities an hour or so away from the beach but even in those places, you aren't going to get anything fantastic or in the best neighborhood for that much so be prepared.

Plus you need to decide what type of neighborhood you want to live in, a quiet subdivision, an apartment complex, an older less trendy neighborhood, a historic area...I have found that most cities have all of the above in different parts of town but the prices will differ depending on the neighborhood and type of housing you want.

Once you narrow that down, I'm sure people can give all kinds of suggestions for cities that might be a right fit for you.

Old 10-26-2006, 11:03 AM

320 posts, read 1,129,956 times
What about the Bradenton/Sarasota area? You'll only be 10-20 minutes away from the beach and you could probably find an apartment there in the low $600's.

*Note: I don't live in Florida, but I am looking at relocating to Bradenton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay