U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 02:57 PM

53 posts, read 241,842 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine is considering a move down to St. Petersburg and I'm trying to help him find some info on the city. Rather than only look at statistics, I figured I'd ask residents, as well. Is St. Petersburg a city with lots of crime? Are there any ghettos or places that are just extremely undesirable? Anything negative about the city someone moving should know about? Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2007, 02:59 PM

205 posts, read 955,050 times
AVOID South St. Petersburg like the plaque.

Old 12-03-2007, 03:27 PM

Would South St. Petersburg be a large portion of the city?

Old 12-03-2007, 03:44 PM

It is a pretty big chunk of St. Petersburg...there are other areas of Pinellas close to St. Petersburg that are nice...there are a few nice areas of St. Petersburg though. You DO NOT want south of downtown if you do choose St. Petersburg. Try TBO.com is Tampa Bay Online (http://www.tbo.com/crimetracker - broken link)
that will give you a better idea of crime. Hope that helps you a little!

quote=StillFreak;2157292]Would South St. Petersburg be a large portion of the city?[/quote]

Old 12-03-2007, 05:02 PM

471 posts, read 1,588,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillFreak View Post
A friend of mine is considering a move down to St. Petersburg and I'm trying to help him find some info on the city. Rather than only look at statistics, I figured I'd ask residents, as well. Is St. Petersburg a city with lots of crime? Are there any ghettos or places that are just extremely undesirable? Anything negative about the city someone moving should know about? Thanks.
Read the Tampa forum(link at top of the page) and you will find a lot of info about St. Pete and the surrounding areas. You'll also probably get a lot more info if you ask your question there. The moderator would probably move this thread there if you ask.

Old 12-03-2007, 06:57 PM

409 posts, read 1,447,276 times
I just posted on another thread about this. NOT all areas of S. St. Pete are bad areas. Usually this is coming from possibly racist and ignorant people who assume that the large black population in S. St. Pete makes the whole area a terrible place. This is completely untrue. I am from the 2nd safest ranked metro in the US (in Wisconsin) and I am not afraid of S. St. Pete. Sure there are areas that are unsafe, but I wouldn't walk too far at night anywhere in Tampa Bay. As far as during the day there is nothing to be afraid of. There are some really nice, safe, and diverse areas in the Boyd Hill, Country Club and Coquina Key areas. Just do your homework and you will be fine. The only way to tell for sure is to check it out yourself.

Old 12-03-2007, 08:06 PM

If South St. Pete is such a safe area and you'd live there, why do you live all the way in Palm Harbor??
I have lived in this area my entire life and South St. Pete is one of the most dangerous places to live in the Bay area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trabbz View Post
I just posted on another thread about this. NOT all areas of S. St. Pete are bad areas. Usually this is coming from possibly racist and ignorant people who assume that the large black population in S. St. Pete makes the whole area a terrible place. This is completely untrue. I am from the 2nd safest ranked metro in the US (in Wisconsin) and I am not afraid of S. St. Pete. Sure there are areas that are unsafe, but I wouldn't walk too far at night anywhere in Tampa Bay. As far as during the day there is nothing to be afraid of. There are some really nice, safe, and diverse areas in the Boyd Hill, Country Club and Coquina Key areas. Just do your homework and you will be fine. The only way to tell for sure is to check it out yourself.

Old 12-03-2007, 09:16 PM

Is the city segregated (as in Whites live with Whites, Blacks live with Blacks) or does every race live with one another? I assume it's the former.

Old 12-04-2007, 06:25 AM

428 posts, read 1,413,012 times
THe "south area" that was paitned with a broad brush is more accurately Midtown- north, of Lakewood Estates, East of Lassing Park/Coquina Key, south of downtown, and west of US-19 (though part bleeds over to the border of Gulfport).

In fact, some of the nicest areas in St. Pete are in the "South"- more accurately the PInellas Point area.

Anyway, west St. Pete, the old Northeast, far north, Feathersound, Meadowlawn , Kenwood- lots of great areas.

Midtown is predominately black, the rest of the city is mainly white, though there are pockets of integration. There is also a large Asian population. Not a particularly big Hispanic population though.

Old 12-04-2007, 06:28 AM

428 posts, read 1,413,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillFreak View Post

Crime is a factor anywhere in the country these days. IN St. Pete, murder is not a big problem- I think there were 20 last year- mostly domestic and drugs.

property crime happens- car broken into, etc. Take precautions and you'll be fine.

St. Pete has a lower per capita crime rate than Tampa, Orlando, Miami, Ft. Lauderdale,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay