U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 08:43 PM

1,824 posts, read 7,804,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLBOUND? View Post
Maybe some more info is in order:

My hours at work are flexible - basically can come in to the office anytime between 7am and 9am. Plus I'm allowed to work @ home 1x per week. So, the reality is that I'd be commuting 4 days per week and can get to work early to avoid some of the traffic.

The wife on the other hand has to commute every day, "normal" business hours.

For these reasons, I'm more amenable to living north of Downtown.

I think living in South Tampa and commuting to UCH every day during normal commuting hours might be too much. Yes?
I had to commute at one time a few years back from Hyde Park(I loved living there, now live a bit south of there) to USF and it rarely ever took more than 25-30 minutes, and always went opposite of traffic...on my way there I would think to myself, "wow, i'm glad I dont live north of downtown and have to commute south into downtown" and vice versa on the way home.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2007, 03:33 PM

2 posts, read 5,455 times
Default Wesley Chapel

Well, I am a New Yorker and I snowbird to Florida every winter. If your wife works on Bruce B. Downs, you are probably better off looking in Wesley Chapel. This is in Pasco County and the taxes are alot cheaper than Hillsborough. You are right near 75 which takes you north or south. They are really building up the place and there's a Target, Walmart and restaurants like Chili's, Bennigan's, etc. There's a Muvico off of Bruce B. Down's, a great steakhouse called Remington's and new commercial property goes up all the time, yet it's also residential and reminds me a little of long island. Traffic is something you must get used to, but New York is worse, so don't worry about it. Good luck.

Old 12-06-2007, 06:40 PM

4,469 posts, read 6,576,096 times
Quote:
Maybe some more info is in order:

My hours at work are flexible - basically can come in to the office anytime between 7am and 9am. Plus I'm allowed to work @ home 1x per week. So, the reality is that I'd be commuting 4 days per week and can get to work early to avoid some of the traffic.

Even getting in at 7 isn't going to help your commute much. There are too many other people downtown coming in at 7 for the same reason.
I'd second (third? fifth?) the people who say South Tampa. Your wife's commute won't be a piece of cake, but it won't be that bad. Whereas if you try to commute south yours will suck beyond anyone's capability to describe.
Plus, from a practical point, your property will probably hold its value better. Sprawl is endless, and new stuff is built all the time-- but they're not making any more land in South Tampa.

Old 12-06-2007, 07:05 PM

79 posts, read 309,321 times
Okay, I'm looking at a map and I'm trying to expand my options a little:

At issue:

- The wife will work in the University Community Hospital area, on Bruce B. Downs;

- I will work Downtown.

How about Brandon as a happy medium in terms of commuting?

Looks like that might be an easy commute for both of us? Whadday think?

Old 12-06-2007, 07:06 PM

79 posts, read 309,321 times
By the way, I hear you all on the South Tampa option, but it seems like a lot for the wife. I'll be super close to work and she'll have to drive 25 to 30 mins each way. Doesn't seem fair.....

Old 12-06-2007, 07:12 PM

1,824 posts, read 7,804,838 times
Quote:
By the way, I hear you all on the South Tampa option, but it seems like a lot for the wife. I'll be super close to work and she'll have to drive 25 to 30 mins each way. Doesn't seem fair.....
Make sure you have the house nice and tidy, and dinner on the table each night!

Brandon would be ok, but your both still talking about a commute, 30-35 minutes for wifey, and 25-30 minutes for you, unless there is an accident.

You also need to explore what you expect out of the area you want to live(suburbia, cookie cutter homes, big box stores and chain retail; or proximity to dining, mom and pop retailers, theater, sports, water, character and history?)

Are you planning to visit before the move?, than you can make the drive yourselves and determine where it ight be best to live.

Old 12-06-2007, 08:26 PM

2,467 posts, read 11,552,814 times
Quote:
Really though, 25-30 minutes isn't bad. I live in Tampa Palms (i.e., 5 miles north of University Hospital) and that is at least a 30 minute commute in the AM to just the hospital and can be at least 1 hour downtown. Brandon, as the other poster suggested, is going to be at least 30 minute for each of you. It's an option, but South Tampa has a LOT more going on, will be the same commute for your wife as Brandon and a really short commute for you.
Have you been here to see the various neighborhoods? Really, South Tampa is by far your best option.

Old 12-06-2007, 08:53 PM

3 posts, read 8,454 times
I have a house in the Forest Hills area (near old carrollwood). My neighbor works near USF and I work near downtown. If you ask me traffic is terrible everywhere. So 1st find an area you can enjoy. Moderator cut: can't advertise We actually chose Carrollwood because the guy sitting next to me on the plane ride down lived there and loved it. We're from Indiana and ended up right in the area he told us about. The good thing is that if you rent you can move if you find a better place.

Last edited by jessiegirl_98; 12-06-2007 at 10:15 PM.. Reason: ad

Old 12-07-2007, 03:04 AM

4,557 posts, read 6,924,626 times
Again, I agree with Tampaguy.
Make sure you have your house neat and tidy, and dinner on the table.......

Old 12-19-2007, 11:58 PM

2 posts, read 8,447 times
It's much easier to go north in the morning rush hour traffic than to head into the city from the north. I would recommend finding a place in Hyde Park. Hyde Park Place has nice units and would even be in walking distance for the husband on a nice day. The complex is quiet with many doctors from Tampa General residing there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay