Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2014, 09:30 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,895,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavariantransplant View Post
I have to preface this with the fact that I just came through winter in Germany, 6 months of grey overcast and damp wet conditions, like living in a cave and my only question is ... WHERE IS THE HEAT AND SUN!!! I want a full airfare refund, lol.

I was chuckling at how many people I saw wearing jeans or a light jacket.
Yes and isn't now funny when some anonymous people on a computer claim that it is hot and humid for ten months out of the year here?

No doubt that given you are coming from a colder climate, you will have an adjustment period in summer. The best way to adjust is to NOT run your AC at 70-75 during the day and to NOT stay inside all day. Run the AC at 76+ during the day and spend lots of time outside, but do a lot of it in the shade and stay hydrated. The more you can do that, the more you can then add in the sun. You will find that retail establishments run the AC too cold. It is a waste of natural resources, plus helps in lowering the body's temperature, making it more shocking when walking back outside.

We have spent more of our lives in cold weather than not, but then we moved to a "really" hot and humid summer environment with temps running 90-105 and the same dew points as here. We adjusted the first year. We are outdoors people and we enjoyed being outside, in the shade, with a fan and drinks in that environment. Coming here was actually a cool down for us. You can pretty much bank on 88-92 degrees here from June-September, with dew points from 68-75 and a breeze and a good shot at an afternoon thunderstorm. That's pretty perfect in my book.

Old 04-22-2014, 04:55 PM

30,406 posts, read 21,222,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
Yes and isn't now funny when some anonymous people on a computer claim that it is hot and humid for ten months out of the year here?

No doubt that given you are coming from a colder climate, you will have an adjustment period in summer. The best way to adjust is to NOT run your AC at 70-75 during the day and to NOT stay inside all day. Run the AC at 76+ during the day and spend lots of time outside, but do a lot of it in the shade and stay hydrated. The more you can do that, the more you can then add in the sun. You will find that retail establishments run the AC too cold. It is a waste of natural resources, plus helps in lowering the body's temperature, making it more shocking when walking back outside.

We have spent more of our lives in cold weather than not, but then we moved to a "really" hot and humid summer environment with temps running 90-105 and the same dew points as here. We adjusted the first year. We are outdoors people and we enjoyed being outside, in the shade, with a fan and drinks in that environment. Coming here was actually a cool down for us. You can pretty much bank on 88-92 degrees here from June-September, with dew points from 68-75 and a breeze and a good shot at an afternoon thunderstorm. That's pretty perfect in my book.
And isn't funny how anytime we get rain you cry out it was caused by a seabreeze or flow off the gulf.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:44 PM

1,798 posts, read 3,019,557 times
Yeah well once you put the "drinks" down you'll realize it's actually not that comfortable outside, you'll realize you're sweating, and that you stink of BO. I guess alcohol makes it all possible in redneck land doesn't it?

Quote:
We adjusted the first year. We are outdoors people and we enjoyed being outside, in the shade, with a fan and drinks in that environment.

Old 04-23-2014, 12:05 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,280,097 times
Quote:

Prius again you imply that because you like and tolerate temperatures in the 90-100 range with all the humidity that everyone should like that kind of weather, i'd suspect most people dont enjoy such conditions and are using A/C as much as possible in their daily lives.I spent 20 years in Florida most of which involved working outside and i never did get used to the heat and humidity.What seems to be perfect in your book was some kind of hell in my book..

Old 04-23-2014, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Prius again you imply that because you like and tolerate temperatures in the 90-100 range with all the humidity that everyone should like that kind of weather, i'd suspect most people dont enjoy such conditions and are using A/C as much as possible in their daily lives.I spent 20 years in Florida most of which involved working outside and i never did get used to the heat and humidity.What seems to be perfect in your book was some kind of hell in my book..
And my book also.

Old 04-23-2014, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post
Yeah well once you put the "drinks" down you'll realize it's actually not that comfortable outside, you'll realize you're sweating, and that you stink of BO. I guess alcohol makes it all possible in redneck land doesn't it?
Hi New Horizons. I hope you are doing well, with the 95-100 degrees you have been experiencing this Spring. It's been documented on WeatherNation.

BTW - I don't drink alcohol.

Old 04-23-2014, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
No, I never implied "everyone" should like it. In fact, I have stated many many times that it is not for everyone and some people enjoy cold weather more. I have also stated that people should do the best they can to work towards living where they would love to live. We were able to accomplish that by moving here before I was forced to retire.

What you and a couple others appear to refuse to believe is that other people actually love the warmth of the summers here. You know, there is a reason why so many people head south for vacations and retirement. Face it, there are a lot of people who love it.........even if others don't. That's good, otherwise it would be crowded here.

Old 04-23-2014, 04:02 PM

Gorgeous again today!

Old 04-23-2014, 04:11 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,420,229 times
Quote:
Gorgeous again today!
Walked 18 holes out at MacDill today and don't think I sweated a bit -----it's coming though, not too long from now, it'll be sweltering.

Old 04-23-2014, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Walked 18 holes out at MacDill today and don't think I sweated a bit -----it's coming though, not too long from now, it'll be sweltering.
Around 3 weeks or so. And about 6 weeks before we get a taste of that nasty reverse west windflow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay